Does no union mean no job security?

Dewdewbrown

I'm currently in a non-union job and am the most free, independent, and unsupervised I've ever been at a job. My last two raises were 25% and I am currently making more per hour than when I left UPS driving. I rarely work over 40 hours per week, get paid to drive to and from work in a company vehicle burning company gas, and it isn't uncommon to have competing companies trying to steal me. Guys like me who know what the :censored2: they're doing are hard to come by. I feel my job security is pretty good.
Yeah right lol. Its funny, everyone who leaves UPS always say they make more money, but they never say they left in the first year of driving when they were making 18.75 an hour. Lol..rarely work 40 hours AND companies are fighting over you?? I have heard it all now....what a joke! How much do you make and what do you do?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Yeah right lol. Its funny, everyone who leaves UPS always say they make more money, but they never say they left in the first year of driving when they were making 18.75 an hour. Lol..rarely work 40 hours AND companies are fighting over you?? I have heard it all now....what a joke! How much do you make and what do you do?
Lol! So butthurt. Cope, seethe, and mald. Yes, everything I said is true. Pro tip: I left in my fifth year of driving. Maybe I make less at the end of the year but I'm driving home at 3-something, not 7 or 8. You think waiting ten minutes for your McDonald's order because muh staffing shortage is bad? Imagine what it's like in a high-skill trade. You think applicants worth a good god damn are just lining up at companies looking for work? LOL. LMAO. I've answered what I do at least two or three times in this thread already so keep reading. You probably read my post and started fuming too bad to read on another couple posts. Try taking off the blinders UPS has on you sometime and look outside. Until then, you can just be a bottom-bothered Sally and stay mad.

Last edited:

sailfish

Don't let him lie to you. He's a damn good plumber.
donald_trump_wrong_zoom_9112613.gif

Dewdewbrown

Lol! So butthurt. Cope, seethe, and mald. Yes, everything I said is true. Pro tip: I left in my fifth year of driving. Maybe I make less at the end of the year but I'm driving home at 3-something, not 7 or 8. You think waiting ten minutes for your McDonald's order because muh staffing shortage is bad? Imagine what it's like in a high-skill trade. You think applicants worth a good god damn are just lining up at companies looking for work? LOL. LMAO. I've answered what I do at least two or three times in this thread already so keep reading. You probably read my post and started fuming too bad to read on another couple posts. Try taking off the blinders UPS has on you sometime and look outside. Until then, you can just be a bottom-bothered Sally and stay mad.
You have time to write all that between all the companies fighting for you?? Let me guess..you got free benefits, stock options, pto and a pension the same or better than ups??..wait for it..

sailfish

You have time to write all that between all the companies fighting for you?? Let me guess..you got free benefits, stock options, pto and a pension the same or better than ups??..wait for it..
I have plenty of time since I don't work 70 hours a week with absolutely no predictable clue as to what I'm getting into from day to day. Yes, health insurance is covered by the company, I have a company vehicle with company gas card, and an optional 401K. It's not a publicly traded company so stock is not an option and no, there's no pension. But you know what? I really don't give a :censored2: because the benefits to me of working this job outweigh UPS by a metric :censored2:ton.

sailfish

No pension. YOU GOT ME THERE!!! Lololololol! You people who act like UPS is the be-all-end-all of employment absolutely slay me.

trickpony1

No pension. YOU GOT ME THERE!!! Lololololol! You people who act like UPS is the be-all-end-all of employment absolutely slay me.
Not all of "you people" have HVAC license, electrician license with Commercial and Residential endorsements, plumber license and Pest Control license.

As one famed member of BrownCafe once said, "...all it takes is a driver's license to be a driver (and, possibly, a GED).

I'm sorry we're so stupid.

You might want to negotiate your ego.

sailfish

Not all of "you people" have HVAC license, electrician license with Commercial and Residential endorsements, plumber license and Pest Control license.

As one famed member of BrownCafe once said, "...all it takes is a driver's license to be a driver (and, possibly, a GED).

You know what I'm talking about. There's people on here who look at a couple dollar signs or benefits and use it as the sole measure of how UPS is the best god damn job that ever was and ever will be and anyone who does anything different made a huge life mistake. They're always the one to start something too.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Lazy work attitudes induced through the union apparatus is nowhere near the same thing as when induced under a non-union(profit motive) apparatus. That's a completely different set of motivations.
Something to think about when talking about job security as a whole. I would drop anchor and aim to maim profit as much as possible if we decertified.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Lazy work attitudes induced through the union apparatus is nowhere near the same thing as when induced under a non-union(profit motive) apparatus. That's a completely different set of motivations.
Something to think about when talking about job security as a whole. I would drop anchor and aim to maim profit as much as possible if we decertified.

Please tell us more.... Dr. Science

sailfish

One of these things is not like the other. What does a pest control license have to do with any of that anyway?

Nah

He used his money from UPS to acquire these skills. He's not calling anyone stupid, just saying that a UPS driver can find something better if they really wanted to.

Brown Down

I could always brush up on myrusty IT skills and easily go be an admin somewhere in a few months if i really wanted to. But god i hate desk jobs.