Does no union mean no job security?

Nah
So to those of you who have worked outside UPS, what’s it like? Is it as bad as it sounds? Do managers go around just firing people on the spot and the employees living in constant fear of getting canned?
No. You do your job and you have nothing to be afraid of. Pretty simple. We have more or less the same cardinal infractions as UPS. Dishonesty, stealing, etc., you're gone. Otherwise there's a disciplinary process which starts with the loss of our quarterly bonus.

BobJ

Without a Union, you can't be the worst employee, or the most paid.

With a Union, you don't want to be the best employee, or the lowest paid.

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
I am sure my FT sup said the same thing. Right up to the day he was released from his current duties. At the same time the company is training PT sups for promotion.
More likely ill be told one day I am redundant and get told to go home. They didnt let go of anybody in our group during all of the mass management separation thankfully

PT Car Washer

More likely ill be told one day I am redundant and get told to go home. They didnt let go of anybody in our group during all of the mass management separation thankfully
I believe the company is hanging on to some PT and FT sups with Peak right around the corner. It's going to be a bloodbath next January.

Commercial Inside Release

Do managers go around just firing people on the spot and the employees living in constant fear of getting canned?
Yes, and no.
Nearly all states are "at will" employment states, except for a few.
In an "at will" state, yes you can be fired for any reason, any time, unless you are under contract, or in a union.
But, there is more to it than that...

At a job too low paying to bother hassling with state government offices to get your job back or one that pays too little to justify court costs, yes, your firing will be pretty final. Besides, even if the job paid enough to justify going to court and getting your job back, things will probably be much worse at your workplace after the lawsuit. Lawyers will tell you that you do have a case, it just isn't a case that is worth pursuing.

But, it doesn't end there - the United States has unemployment insurance! Laying off employees or firing them without cause will leave them eligible for unemployment pay. Firings have to be legal (no EEOC, ADA, or discrimination,) and usually have to be "with cause". "With cause" needs to be a serious offense (like UPS's cardinal sins,) or there has to be three documented and verifiable reprimands (usually in writing) to give the employer cause.

Layoffs and firings without cause both qualify for unemployment pay. The employer would have to go to a hearing and prove they have cause, and the fired employee can appeal. Unemployment insurance claims cost the employer some, and make their unemployment insurance rate to go up especially if they are habitually firing without cause (like some brown companies.)

fty589

No. You do your job and you have nothing to be afraid of. Pretty simple. We have more or less the same cardinal infractions as UPS. Dishonesty, stealing, etc., you're gone. Otherwise there's a disciplinary process which starts with the loss of our quarterly bonus.
Who exactly is “we?”

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I worked plenty of non union jobs as a tech in dealers before UPS.. nobody gets fired, atleast nobody skilled or that was good at robbing customers. We were all flat rate so if you slacked off they did not care.

One place I worked for had a tech that would openly do heroin at work, right in front of everyone but he was a good producer (scammer)so he kept his job. They even let him take customer cars home each night since he did not have a car.

fty589

I'm currently in a non-union job and am the most free, independent, and unsupervised I've ever been at a job. My last two raises were 25% and I am currently making more per hour than when I left UPS driving. I rarely work over 40 hours per week, get paid to drive to and from work in a company vehicle burning company gas, and it isn't uncommon to have competing companies trying to steal me. Guys like me who know what the :censored2: they're doing are hard to come by. I feel my job security is pretty good.
What do you do?