Does Part Time Ever Become Part Time?

Just do like the part-timers at my building do it. They just tell their sup that they have to go because they have school, or another job they have to get to and start walking to the computer to punch out. They can't really stop you.
He has only been working for a week. I think it would be called job abandonment.

Cloud

If you have a different stable 40 hr FT job, then there's no reason to stretch yourself thin working another job. Unless you're hoping for a career switch to a FT driver job...you gotta slow down cowboy. There's more to life than working 80 hrs/week and not seeing family. Working 50-60 hr/week is already exhausting enough for a FT driver...no way could I continuously work 80 hr weeks.

If you have a different stable 40 hr FT job, then there's no reason to stretch yourself thin working another job. Unless you're hoping for a career switch to a FT driver job...you gotta slow down cowboy. There's more to life than working 80 hrs/week and not seeing family. Working 50-60 hr/week is already exhausting enough for a FT driver...no way could I continuously work 80 hr weeks.
I think he was trying to save $980/mo in health care insurance by working 3 1/2 hrs a day at a PT job. Only to find out he is working a second FT job at PT wages and benefits.

Cloud

I think he was trying to save $980/mo in health care insurance by working 3 1/2 hrs a day at a PT job. Only to find out he is working a second FT job at PT wages and benefits.
I thought it was 9 months until they could start getting benefits, which would definitely not make it worth it.

542thruNthru

Has anyone ever told their supe:
- I didn't sign up for fulltime employment or;
- the advertisement I responded to said 3.5 hours....not eight or
- "part time" is defined as "not full time".

How would this go over?
You'll typically work 3.5 - 4...

The contract says..
Guaranteed 3.5 not only...

sketch-1596260914525.jpg

I actually agree with you that you shouldn't be forced to work FT hours when its a PT job but.. UPS didn't lie.. they just mislead like usual.

Package Stick

"Send it."
He has only been working for a week. I think it would be called job abandonment.
Hahahaha what a joke. Do you think they'll fire some kid for going to another job at a set time? Has never happened at my Hub. They NEED people.

We have plenty of guys with other jobs, at a set time. And they let them leave.

wilberforce15

The contract says..

View attachment 304347

I actually agree with you that you shouldn't be forced to work FT hours when its a PT job but.. UPS didn't lie.. they just mislead like usual.

Except it actually is a lie.

4am to 9am is listed as the shift time. They knew when writing it that work would be required outside of those hours, and yet explicitly said otherwise.

Stop covering for liars.

Or are you one of them?

According to the ad, 3.5 to 4 hrs is typical, but the shift maximum is listed at 5hrs. That's the actual max window that is given.

Talk to your supervisor. Given that you are working so much as it is if you tell them you have to leave at 8:30 to get to your other job they will probably accommodate you. If they say no then :censored2: them, you're a grown adult with responsibilities.

trickpony1

The sad part is there are people that really want that OT but they're gonna keep the people that don't want it just because they can.

PPH_over_9000

Hahahaha what a joke. Do you think they'll fire some kid for going to another job at a set time? Has never happened at my Hub. They NEED people.

Sort of the same at my center. There's a caveat, though: if a high seniority part-timer starts to complain (i.e. file grievances) that people with less or no seniority are being offered the day off or to go home early over them, management will renege on the deal and start progressive discipline. At my center, at least.

I accidentally caused this to happen once. I didn't think they'd go after the guy and go back on their arrangement when I filed, I was just tired of never being allowed to take a day and seeing groups of new hires leaving at like 7am daily. I spoke with several supes about it and nothing ever changed, so my frustration built up for a few years and I finally figured :censored2: it, maybe I can get some extra pay out of this....

nope, all it did was piss off the preload manager and the dude got a "talking to" and ended up getting fired after he continued to rightfully go to his other job at the agreed upon time (there were a few other things that happened afterwards, but this was the first domino to topple.) I still feel guilty about it, but dude's doing damn good for himself now. He said he didn't think it was my grievance that caused the change but I definitely do... Since then, I don't file just because I'm angry anymore. There's always a chance for unexpected blowback.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
This Covid has business booming. My Daughter started a few months ago. She clears around $520 a week working 6 days. Not bad for an 18 year old. Hell, when I started at 18 I was lucky to clear $100!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you really want to stay I would talk to your full time supervisor. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel and New hires are getting away with murder. Just ask to leave early. Worst they say is no.
Tell HR the issue. It’s a 2nd job, why risk your primary?

Walk out at 8:30 regardless of being finished or not.

I agree. If OP doesn't want to lose his other job, he should talk it over first. If he is told no, then he should punch out when he needs to and go. The worst they could do is fire him. Who cares under these circumstances? It's not like he already has the benefits. There are likely other actual part time jobs out there that he could find that meet his scheduling needs and offer benefits much earlier than UPS.

The contract says..

View attachment 304347

I think my state divides between full time and part time at 32 hours. My center isn't having these issues, but I'd bet the hubs are. It would be nice if the union could use the circumstances to persuade the company to create actual full time positions.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Just do like the part-timers at my building do it. They just tell their sup that they have to go because they have school, or another job they have to get to and start walking to the computer to punch out. They can't really stop you.

They can't stop you. They can fire you for job abandonment, however.

Doesn't matter how long he's been at his job.

In the process of happening at my center. May not stick, given past practices, but management is trying.

Also, given that OP just got hired, he is currently a seasonal, "at will" employee.
No protections, no representation, and no recourse.