Does the union have the backbone to enforce the over 9five rule

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We recently had a Center Manager in my Hub demoted and moved to another building after one of his drivers went over 65 hours. The driver had asked him a couple of times to check his hours, but he was still over dispatched and got charged with a DOT violation.

hypocrisy

Banned
i did the 9.5 thing and it seemed like that they would keep you under it 3 days and really fu-k you over the other 2 days. that's my experience with it

kinda related- talked to a union stewart a couple weeks ago and i was complaining about the 10-11 hour days and he said that the union was pushing to get the DOT laws changed from 12 hours on road down to 10 hours. haven't heard or read anything that proves or disproves it???

Time for you to take action:

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/y...osed-hours-service-changes-337430/#post805861

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
There numbers are all fantasy

I seconded that, even on preload the numbers they tell us are a huge lie.

Its all about word determination, pph is they way they say about production levels. Now we have to be at 250 an hour instead of 227 an hour. Well, guess whos going on a huge slow down now, our entire side is. Good job UPS, lets make everyone lazy.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I think they count on drivers skipping their lunch to get the work done. Even more so on Fridays.
How can you complain about excessive hours when you get it done before 9.5

Isnt that the truth, I hear drivers talking the same properties. They just want us to take 10 minutes for real lunch and spend the next 50 mintues working lunch. Trust me, they plan this on purpose.

outta hours

I would ask if YOU have the backbone to enforce the 9.5 rule. The union is not the police or your mommy. They are an advocate for you, and you ARE the union. The language in the contract was agreed upon by both parties. So use it. It cracks me up how people complain about the language. You are aware that it's a give and take thing right? And with any negotiation to get something, you have to give something.

The 9.5 language is not perfect, but it's a start. Most members think the contract is a supermarket aisle. They pick and choose what articles they want to enforce & when, and leave the others alone. Like your meal period. Some will take it and file 9.5, but on days their kid has a ballgame they skip meal all together to get in early. Then complain that their dispatch goes up.Go figure.

Work like you should, and follow the guidelines set forth by the contract. If the company is not doing the same, file a grievance. That's what the process is for. Checks and balances. Don't run your mouth that the company is not doing what they should, when you aren't either. Don't blame the union for allowing things outside the contract to exist. Blame your union brothers and sisters for not being vigilant. By loading off the clock, skipping lunch, allowing supervisors to work etc. The union is a strong as it's weakest link. Don't be that weak link.

If your union needs to improve where you are, step up and ask how you can help. Be an active, involved , and informed member. Don't just pay your dues and expect miracles to happen. It starts with education. Read your contract, learn all the language. And pass along what you learn to others. And lead by example. You don't have to file a million grievances to be a leader. By doing the right thing day in and day out you will go a long way towards strengthening our union.

I would ask if YOU have the backbone to enforce the 9.5 rule. The union is not the police or your mommy. They are an advocate for you, and you ARE the union. The language in the contract was agreed upon by both parties. So use it. It cracks me up how people complain about the language. You are aware that it's a give and take thing right? And with any negotiation to get something, you have to give something.

The 9.5 language is not perfect, but it's a start. Most members think the contract is a supermarket aisle. They pick and choose what articles they want to enforce & when, and leave the others alone. Like your meal period. Some will take it and file 9.5, but on days their kid has a ballgame they skip meal all together to get in early. Then complain that their dispatch goes up.Go figure.

Work like you should, and follow the guidelines set forth by the contract. If the company is not doing the same, file a grievance. That's what the process is for. Checks and balances. Don't run your mouth that the company is not doing what they should, when you aren't either. Don't blame the union for allowing things outside the contract to exist. Blame your union brothers and sisters for not being vigilant. By loading off the clock, skipping lunch, allowing supervisors to work etc. The union is a strong as it's weakest link. Don't be that weak link.

If your union needs to improve where you are, step up and ask how you can help. Be an active, involved , and informed member. Don't just pay your dues and expect miracles to happen. It starts with education. Read your contract, learn all the language. And pass along what you learn to others. And lead by example. You don't have to file a million grievances to be a leader. By doing the right thing day in and day out you will go a long way towards strengthening our union.
+1,000,000 great post words to live by at the United Parcel.

govols019

You smell that?
"The 9.5 language is not perfect, but it's a start."

A start? If you mean a start for going backwards then you are right. Our union is the one that allowed the 9.5 language to be changed after the contract was ratified.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We recently had a Center Manager in my Hub demoted and moved to another building after one of his drivers went over 65 hours. The driver had asked him a couple of times to check his hours, but he was still over dispatched and got charged with a DOT violation.

I went over 14 hours w/ breaks after peak, they simply didn't pay me for 6 hours to keep me under on the books. I'm sure that is not the first time it's happened.

outta hours

A start? If you mean a start for going backwards then you are right. Our union is the one that allowed the 9.5 language to be changed after the contract was ratified.

Backwards? You mean the memorandum of understanding that requires the first 9.5 occurrence to be placed on the list? If 9.5 is a problem, then 3 days of straight overtime is not to much to pay for triple time for any future violations is it? Like I said the 9.5 language is a start.

I'm actually surprised the company agreed to any monetary penalty for giving overtime. When I started 9.5 didn't exist and overtime was expected. But that was 25 years ago and there was not such a spoiled little boy sense of entitlement by employees. But that's a problem in our society in general these days, not just at UPS.

It was never implied that this was a 9-5 job. There were no automatic, low step, power steering cars either. Not harping on the "good old days" just showing that things do change. So does the contract language. So maybe the 9.5 language will improve. Do your part to make it happen. Anyone can complain, but it takes a real man to make a difference.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

When I started driving 24 years ago, the 9.5 language was essentially worthless. There were no consequences imposed upon the company for willfully violating it, so violate it they did.

My center paid out $54,000 in 9.5 grievance settlements last year for willfully violating the same language. Somebody from Corporate got pissed enough at having to sign all those checks that changes were made to our Stops Per Car metric, and for the time being at least our paid days are being reduced.

I would call that a pretty good start.

govols019

You smell that?
Good for you. I have an "extended" route so I can't file a 9.5 grievance. The 9.5 language IS worthless to me since it was changed after ratification.

Backwards? You mean the memorandum of understanding that requires the first 9.5 occurrence to be placed on the list? If 9.5 is a problem, then 3 days of straight overtime is not to much to pay for triple time for any future violations is it? Like I said the 9.5 language is a start.

I'm actually surprised the company agreed to any monetary penalty for giving overtime. When I started 9.5 didn't exist and overtime was expected. But that was 25 years ago and there was not such a spoiled little boy sense of entitlement by employees. But that's a problem in our society in general these days, not just at UPS.

It was never implied that this was a 9-5 job. There were no automatic, low step, power steering cars either. Not harping on the "good old days" just showing that things do change. So does the contract language. So maybe the 9.5 language will improve. Do your part to make it happen. Anyone can complain, but it takes a real man to make a difference.

Preach to someone else. You don't know me.

outta hours

Good for you. I have an "extended" route so I can't file a 9.5 grievance. The 9.5 language IS worthless to me since it was changed after ratification.

Preach to someone else. You don't know me.

Not preaching. Don't care to know you. Just responding to your post. My route in pkg was extended and I filed, and was paid many 9.5 grievances. Must be different in my supplement.

Our union also negotiated the current contract early before the the other one expired. Months before the recession hit.Saving benefit and wage increases that would not have happened 8 months down the road. So I guess they haven't always let you down... Right?

Old International

Now driving a Sterling

I am surprised that the driver was not aware of his hours. It is the drivers responsibility to keep track of HIS hours, and inform management when he does not have enough to work a complete day-IE less than 14 hours. If management then decides to work the driver with less then 14 hours, I would work all but the last 15 minutes of my allotted time, and then call the center/hub, and tell them to come and get me, as I have run out of hours, and cannot drive anymore.
During peak, our center had tons of signs up reminding drivers to keep up with their time. Our feeder Dept. even made drivers sign a sheet daily as to the number of hours each driver had BEFORE they left on a run.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

What he said!!!

whiskey

"The union is as strong as its weakest link". OMG, lets hope not.
Whatever happened to strength in numbers?
Many of our brothers are out of work. Their mortgages are under water. These are Teamster brothers and sisters who are suffering. This nine five brouhaha is akin to killing the goose that laid the golden egg. In this economy, and at our rate of pay, there is no such thing as excessive overtime. The only number we should be thinking about is a six figure number. As of yet, I don't know anyone in package that has reached that number.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
"The union is as strong as its weakest link". OMG, lets hope not.
Whatever happened to strength in numbers?
Many of our brothers are out of work. Their mortgages are under water. These are Teamster brothers and sisters who are suffering. This nine five brouhaha is akin to killing the goose that laid the golden egg. In this economy, and at our rate of pay, there is no such thing as excessive overtime. The only number we should be thinking about is a six figure number. As of yet, I don't know anyone in package that has reached that number.

We have a guy that has made 6 figures going on 3 years now. Always has at least an 11hr plan with 2hrs bonus. Sometimes over 12hr plan and during peak was at an average 14hr plan.

Bristol Brown

We all know the number of stops are routes should have on a normal day. I don't worry about the stop count anymore I take my full lunch and breaks and work the methods if I don't finish my route before I have to be back for the air trailer tomorrow is another day. I'm not going run around like a idiot get hurt or killed trying to clean my route just to make some desk jockey look good. If they think I'm padding my numbers I would invite them to ride along with me.

The problem is that some drivers will put there lunch and breaks in there DIAD but not take them in order to clean there overdispatched routes.

Remember you are part the of the union if you have a problem with something ask your steward about the rules / read the contract and file grievance.

Probably one of the best posts I have seen on this forum.I think we work differently in the UK as management are now implementing an 8 hour working day which some guys are struggling with as the allowances within the working day are not correct.

Now let me get this straight are the guys in the US expected to do a minimum nine and half hour working day to keep the managers and sups off their backs?

I heard that if a driver in the US was over despatched then his manager would be disciplined.

I also see a lot of people on here talking about being paid for a grievance can you tell me how that works as in the UK you file a grievance and it just gets ignored.