Does Weingarten Rights apply at the guard shack

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
I was thinking standing in line for a good 10 mins to get into the building at Addison today if I was questioned by ups management at the guard shack does Weingarten apply. Can I have them hold the questioning till a steward gets there? Just throwing it out there also UPS has found a new creative way to harass all the employees at Addison. That is to thoroughly check all the employees coming into the building not just going out and making them late to punch in also telling them to come in early so they can make it through security. Remember folks vote for steve pocztowski for 705, only because he will let UPS get away with body cavity searches soon.:happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I was thinking standing in line for a good 10 mins to get into the building at Addison today if I was questioned by ups management at the guard shack does Weingarten apply. Can I have them hold the questioning till a steward gets there? Just throwing it out there also UPS has found a new creative way to harass all the employees at Addison. That is to thoroughly check all the employees coming into the building not just going out and making them late to punch in also telling them to come in early so they can make it through security. Remember folks vote for steve pocztowski for 705, only because he will let UPS get away with body cavity searches soon.:happy-very:
First knuckle head, ask the questioner if you could be disciplined, if so request a steward.

Secondly, let me inform you that a threat was made at your facility, and checking all of you in last was in your best interest.

What would you have posted if the loader next to you died from getting shot? Blame it on Steve? UPS?

over9five

Staff member
But he should still grieve to get paid from his scheduled start time. There is no way he should be docked that time because there is a line to get into the building.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
But he should still grieve to get paid from his scheduled start time. There is no way he should be docked that time because there is a line to get into the building.

As we wait for 30 minutes to get a parking space punching in late to get inside that prison they call CHEMA.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Absloutely! The sort started 30 minutes late because all the guard shacks were backed up. I believe there is a union filed grievance on it already.

Someone called in a threat against several managers, and in the world we live in now, I agree that we should be safe. God help it if something bad happened last night.

But to blame the union like Thelus did for this is outrageous.

From reading all the posts it appears there was a unscheduled delay and he has the right to grieve. But if this was a normal day to day delay,at that start time,then he should plan accordingly to arrive with time to spare.
Depending on our start or leave time at the Cach you can sail right through the shack or be in line with hundreds,same as finding a parking spot. It`s not UPS` fault that you arrive with others unprepared to go through.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
From reading all the posts it appears there was a unscheduled delay and he has the right to grieve. But if this was a normal day to day delay,at that start time,then he should plan accordingly to arrive with time to spare.
Depending on our start or leave time at the Cach you can sail right through the shack or be in line with hundreds,same as finding a parking spot. It`s not UPS` fault that you arrive with others unprepared to go through.

This doesn't seem to be a gray area to me.
We are paid for our time and if the circumstances change to were it takes an inordinate amount of time to negotiate the security check, then maybe UPS will need to expand their guard shack capabilities.
In the workplace to classify something as a normal day to day delay to me is an oxymoron.
It would be better labeled as planned opulence if it was permitted to continue.
Insufficient parking would be a parallel issue.
A grievance seems to the right course of action.

We are paid for our time and if the circumstances change to were it takes an inordinate amount of time to negotiate the security check, then maybe UPS will need to expand their guard shack capabilities.
In the workplace to classify something as a normal day to day delay to me is an oxymoron.

The Cach guard shacks are the size of city bus terminals because they also serve as bus terminals. Except for a few peak times of the day traffic moves smoothly through them. At peak times, because people who work here are surprised that they have to go through the same guard shack as they did the day before,they do not prepare to go through the metal detectors by emptying their pockets before they are the very next in line,don`t get passes for cell phones that they know they should have,try and bring things in they should not,give the guard a hard time because he asks to look in their bags. How is UPS responsible for this?
You stated "we are paid for our time",true,once you punch in. The time clock is on the other side of the guard shack and you`re stuck behind a bunch of "oxymorons". If the shack backs up,during normal day to day operations,at say 9:00,then get there at 8:50 or 9:10 and sail through. If you want to be hard headed and not accept the personal responsibility of being to work with a few minutes to spare then go ahead and be late and accept those consequences.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yeah, and WalMart is gonna call up more cashiers when the lines are long.:surprised:

The Cach guard shacks are the size of city bus terminals because they also serve as bus terminals. Except for a few peak times of the day traffic moves smoothly through them. At peak times, because people who work here are surprised that they have to go through the same guard shack as they did the day before,they do not prepare to go through the metal detectors by emptying their pockets before they are the very next in line,don`t get passes for cell phones that they know they should have,try and bring things in they should not,give the guard a hard time because he asks to look in their bags. How is UPS responsible for this?
You stated "we are paid for our time",true,once you punch in. The time clock is on the other side of the guard shack and you`re stuck behind a bunch of "oxymorons". If the shack backs up,during normal day to day operations,at say 9:00,then get there at 8:50 or 9:10 and sail through. If you want to be hard headed and not accept the personal responsibility of being to work with a few minutes to spare then go ahead and be late and accept those consequences.
LOL, well said!

Guard Shack? You could walk into our building with a grenade launcher and no one would even notice.
I think that's why they're having the long lines at this point in time. :wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I was referring to changes that make the circumstances markedly different.
Some of the posts claim 10 mins to a half an hour delay in entering the facility.
To me that's excessive.
Personal responsibility extends beyond the workplace.
I know with the obligations I have getting the kids to school, a half hour to spare is not in the equation.
This is a case of changing conditions and I think there is room for the company to take some responsibility in the solution.
Maybe giving the "oxymorons" a little grace period on tardiness during this change in routine would be may be order if they don't want to increase the number of lanes or lines.
In my building this problem would be addressed immediately as it would substantially reduce the amount of free labor they receive from the drivers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Some of the posts claim 10 mins to a half an hour delay in entering the facility.
To me that's excessive.
I know with the obligations I have getting the kids to school, a half hour to spare is not in the equation.
This is a case of changing conditions and I think there is room for the company to take some responsibility in the solution.
Maybe giving the "oxymorons" a little grace period on tardiness during this change in routine would be may be order if they don't want to increase the number of lanes or lines.
In my building this problem would be addressed immediately as it would substantially reduce the amount of free labor they receive from the drivers.
OH, but let me tell you, you're still gonna be waiting in line at Wal-Mart.:wink2:

To me that's excessive.

I addressed the extenuating circumstances in the first post. As for the rest leave early enough to get to the timeclock on time. We adults,be an adult.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I addressed the extenuating circumstances in the first post. As for the rest leave early enough to get to the timeclock on time. We adults,be an adult.

At what point, however, does the company have an obligation to reduce the delays it has intentionally created in allowing its employee to get to the timeclock on time?

If I show up for work on time and am denied access to the facility due to a company-caused delay at the guard shack, why is that my responsibility?

At some point, the delay becomes unreasonable and the company needs to either; hire adequate security so that the line of people moves at a realistic pace....or move the timeclocks outside of the guard shack so that the employees can clock in prior to waiting in line to be searched.

Comparing the delay at the guard shack to the issues in finding parking is inaccurate. The company is not responsible for lack of parking on public property; but it is responsible for the level of security it chooses to impose upon its employees prior to entry.

What it appears that they have done here is to shift the "cost" of the security procedures back onto the employees by expecting them to arrive early and wait in line on their own time to be searched by an understaffed guard force. Then, to add insult to injury, they charge these employees for being "tardy" even though in reality they had reported on time and ready to work and were simply unable to gain entry to the facility.

Ok,I give up. Whatever works for you guys. I know I have been late maybe five times in the last 15 years at my building even with all the obstacles they throw in my way like putting the building an hour from my house. How dare they! I think I`ll grieve to get them to pay me the minute I back out of my driveway,millage too!

D

Dis-organized Labor

At what point, however, does the company have an obligation to reduce the delays it has intentionally created in allowing its employee to get to the timeclock on time?

If I show up for work on time and am denied access to the facility due to a company-caused delay at the guard shack, why is that my responsibility?

At some point, the delay becomes unreasonable and the company needs to either; hire adequate security so that the line of people moves at a realistic pace....or move the timeclocks outside of the guard shack so that the employees can clock in prior to waiting in line to be searched.

Comparing the delay at the guard shack to the issues in finding parking is inaccurate. The company is not responsible for lack of parking on public property; but it is responsible for the level of security it chooses to impose upon its employees prior to entry.

What it appears that they have done here is to shift the "cost" of the security procedures back onto the employees by expecting them to arrive early and wait in line on their own time to be searched by an understaffed guard force. Then, to add insult to injury, they charge these employees for being "tardy" even though in reality they had reported on time and ready to work and were simply unable to gain entry to the facility.

The "Company" is intentionally trying to put itself out of business by getting rid of its employees, One by One, Center by Center.

Are you kiddin' me???

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ok,I give up. Whatever works for you guys. I know I have been late maybe five times in the last 15 years at my building even with all the obstacles they throw in my way like putting the building an hour from my house. How dare they! I think I`ll grieve to get them to pay me the minute I back out of my driveway,millage too!

I chose where I wanted to live and I knew how long my commute would be; I am therefore responsible for leaving early enough to arrive at work on time.

I did not choose for UPS to implement a "security" system that consists of an undersized and understaffed guard shack equipped with a malfunctioning metal detector that randomly screeches whenever the door is opened or someone farts; I am therefore not responsible for any delays that result from UPS decisions that I have no control over.

Occasionally there will be long delays at our guard shack; when this has happened and I have been delayed in getting to the timeclock I inform management and they adjust my punch-in time accordingly so that I am not late.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Guys we are blowing this way out of proportion! Last night at the Addison UPS, someone called in a threat. UPS screened everyone on the way in and delayed people and even the sort time. The union will file a grievance on this to get the employees paid from their start times.

Where Cach works you have 800 to 1,000 people leaving a shift and starting the next shift all with 30 mins or so. There are two entrances and several lines to get in and out, but they do back up because people are lazy! When I approach the guard shack, my smokes, lighter, phone, car keys etc all get put into my cooler to expedite the security process. Not at cach, people wait to they are next in line and than start to address these issues, you cannot hold UPS responsible for the delays caused by its own lazy employees. I am not talking about everyone of them, but all it takes is a few to back up the process.

I chose where I wanted to live and I knew how long my commute would be; I am therefore responsible for leaving early enough to arrive at work on time.
Thats what I said.
I did not choose for UPS to implement a "security" system that consists of an undersized and understaffed guard shack equipped with a malfunctioning metal detector that randomly screeches whenever the door is opened or someone farts; I am therefore not responsible for any delays that result from UPS decisions that I have no control over.
No,but after the first day you know its there,right?

Occasionally there will be long delays at our guard shack; when this has happened and I have been delayed in getting to the timeclock I inform management and they adjust my punch-in time accordingly so that I am not late.
Occasionally here also and we call them from the shack. I was talking the every day,in and out delays as Red also has now addressed.