DOK

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Stealth8, thank you for being a great employee for the last 32 years.

they did the same thing here with one of my long time drivers, I feel we have gone down the wrong road with this and now both sides are bitter...our time can be better spent on other things that come to mind but who am I kidding, who would actually listen to a center manager now-a-days...

One of you, maybe not. 50, 100, 200 of you....they would.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Being a Circle of Honor employee should be enough for your management team to shut their pie hole and leave you alone. You have demonstrated throughout your 32 years what safe driving, proper lifting, etc is all about. they could only dream of accomplishing what you have. You can retire now knowing that you are better than they ever will be.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm starting to believe they actually want a nasty strike next year. So what's their motive?

Auditors are paid to do audits.

Since they contribute nothing relevant to the daily operation of the company, they have to justify their "work" by guranteeing a never-ending supply of negative results to audit.

The OP is a Circle of Honor driver who aced the DOK. Such employees are a direct threat to the job security of the auditors. If every employee aced the audit, there would be no point in further audits hence no point in paying the auditors to do them.

Solution? Find flaws where none exist. Report the "need" for further improvement, which automatically requires future audits to verify. Repeat as necessary. See how it works? Its sure beats the hell out of busting your ass on a truck and servicing customers for a living, at least until its time to look at yourself in the mirror.

Since they contribute nothing relevant to the daily operation of the company, they have to justify their "work" by guranteeing a never-ending supply of negative results to audit.

The OP is a Circle of Honor driver who aced the DOK. Such employees are a direct threat to the job security of the auditors. If every employee aced the audit, there would be no point in further audits hence no point in paying the auditors to do them.

Solution? Find flaws where none exist. Report the "need" for further improvement, which automatically requires future audits to verify. Repeat as necessary. See how it works? Its sure beats the hell out of busting your ass on a truck and servicing customers for a living, at least until its time to look at yourself in the mirror.
Damm it I just reped your last post and I wish I could this one also. Could someone do it for me please????

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No, he and youself are the two people that the site claims I can't rep until I rep somebody else.

Go figure???
you have to rep I believe seven different people before you can rep the same person..............I have the same problem sometimes.

And.............I got a plaque Friday for 22 years Safe Driving, when I really have 24 in three weeks. So much for Safety Recognition. Most of the recognition doesn't amount too much, but I think it would be nice to retire with Circle of Honor in the next couple of years.

Last edited:

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Thanks for all your years of service and safety. I'm in the same boat with you as being picked out for audits. Would have been hard to keep my mouth shut after being called on that minor of a detail. Me and a fellow driver who retired use to say to each other ( like water off a ducks back ) when they would pull that crap. It would keep us from getting to upset over stupid micro management tactics. Keep doing just what you are doing and you will be fine.

thessalonian13

I have been a pkg car driver for over 32 yrs now, and a Circle of Honor driver. Last Thursday when I came in off my route there were a group of safety managers waiting to test us on the DOK. I don't panic because I can recite all of them in my sleep. My center manager and sups know this, so they always "steer" the testers to me. I aced everything that I was asked. Then one of the testers asked me to recite and demonstrate the 8 keys to lifting and lowering. I had already recited the 8 keys earlier, but for some reason they asked me again to not only recite it again but, to also demonstrate using a prop pkg. After the demonstration I was told that I did not bend my knees enough when I squatted down to pick up the pkg! He told me that we are now expected to squat like a catcher until our butts almost touch the ground before lifting. I told him that I was never instructed that way but he still gave me a failure. Now none of them congratulated me on knowing everything to do with the DOK, the only thing they harped on was the one "mistake". The next morning my Ctr mgr came up to me and asked me again to demonstrate the 8 keys!! By the way I found my 29yr safe driving award stuffed in my cubbie. No presentation, no thanks for being a safe driver, no handshake, no nothing. I had plans of working for at least 1 more year because I still love what I do,but I have decided to retire this fall. I don't like the direction that this once great company is headed with all of there micro managing! I want to leave on my own terms still at the top of my game, and most of all I want to remember the way UPS was, and not what it is becoming. Cheers
I would have told them my being a circle of honor driver exempts me from this nonsense and have a nice night.

A

anonymous6

I am also one of the drivers that they steer the auditors to in our center. One time they said I gave the wrong answer because I said that you should "separate" the hazardous packages and the correct answer was that you should "segregate" the hazardous packages.

so i guess the lesson we should learn is not to know the dok so well so that you are not steered towards the stupid auditors???

A

anonymous6

sounds like how the US govt works.

rod

Retired 22 years
Back in the day I would have probably "gotten sick and excused myself for the rest of the day ---- then I would have stopped at the local watering hole to calm down before I choked someone. Starting the next day I would make sure I wasn't the "go to guy" anymore by forgetting all that memoized crap. They never harrass the Bevis and Buttheads of the center.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
29 years of safe driving!

I take my hat off to you and with all sincerity I say, "Thank you fellow driver, job very well done!"

gman042

Been around the block a few times
you have to rep I believe seven different people before you can rep the same person..............I have the same problem sometimes.

And.............I got a plaque Friday for 22 years Safe Driving, when I really have 24 in three weeks. So much for Safety Recognition. Most of the recognition doesn't amount too much, but I think it would be nice to retire with Circle of Honor in the next couple of years.

Our center manager admitted to us on Friday that the safety recognition program was the worst thing to take away from the drivers. We have 3 Circle of Honor drivers in our center. 1 at 32 and one at 30 years and they resent the hell out of that measly piece of paper that they are handed.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have been a pkg car driver for over 32 yrs now, and a Circle of Honor driver. Last Thursday when I came in off my route there were a group of safety managers waiting to test us on the DOK. I don't panic because I can recite all of them in my sleep. My center manager and sups know this, so they always "steer" the testers to me. I aced everything that I was asked. Then one of the testers asked me to recite and demonstrate the 8 keys to lifting and lowering. I had already recited the 8 keys earlier, but for some reason they asked me again to not only recite it again but, to also demonstrate using a prop pkg. After the demonstration I was told that I did not bend my knees enough when I squatted down to pick up the pkg! He told me that we are now expected to squat like a catcher until our butts almost touch the ground before lifting. I told him that I was never instructed that way but he still gave me a failure. Now none of them congratulated me on knowing everything to do with the DOK, the only thing they harped on was the one "mistake". The next morning my Ctr mgr came up to me and asked me again to demonstrate the 8 keys!! By the way I found my 29yr safe driving award stuffed in my cubbie. No presentation, no thanks for being a safe driver, no handshake, no nothing. I had plans of working for at least 1 more year because I still love what I do,but I have decided to retire this fall. I don't like the direction that this once great company is headed with all of there micro managing! I want to leave on my own terms still at the top of my game, and most of all I want to remember the way UPS was, and not what it is becoming. Cheers
My hat is off to you, Stealth8. You should be extremely proud of yourself. I am honored to work for the same company as someone such as yourself. Congratulations on such a remarkable achievement. :onesmiley1: