DOK

packageguy

I have been a pkg car driver for over 32 yrs now, and a Circle of Honor driver. Last Thursday when I came in off my route there were a group of safety managers waiting to test us on the DOK. I don't panic because I can recite all of them in my sleep. My center manager and sups know this, so they always "steer" the testers to me. I aced everything that I was asked. Then one of the testers asked me to recite and demonstrate the 8 keys to lifting and lowering. I had already recited the 8 keys earlier, but for some reason they asked me again to not only recite it again but, to also demonstrate using a prop pkg. After the demonstration I was told that I did not bend my knees enough when I squatted down to pick up the pkg! He told me that we are now expected to squat like a catcher until our butts almost touch the ground before lifting. I told him that I was never instructed that way but he still gave me a failure. Now none of them congratulated me on knowing everything to do with the DOK, the only thing they harped on was the one "mistake". The next morning my Ctr mgr came up to me and asked me again to demonstrate the 8 keys!! By the way I found my 29yr safe driving award stuffed in my cubbie. No presentation, no thanks for being a safe driver, no handshake, no nothing. I had plans of working for at least 1 more year because I still love what I do,but I have decided to retire this fall. I don't like the direction that this once great company is headed with all of there micro managing! I want to leave on my own terms still at the top of my game, and most of all I want to remember the way UPS was, and not what it is becoming. Cheers

I'm sure regrets you have a few but yo are doing your way. Good luck and thanks for not giving up.

stealth8

I could not believe how many of you responded to my DOK post! Thanks for your support and kind words. I would especially like to thank DRAGON for your reply. I think if you were my center manager I would stick around for another year or so. It is good to hear guys like you are still out there. I think that it takes a certain breed of person to be a good UPSER and 99% of the people that I have worked with have been great. As we all know it only takes a few with an agenda to ruin it. I plan on working until November then I will be able to really enjoy a Christmas for the first time in 33yrs with my family! That is going to feel so strange!! Good luck to all of my fellow UPSer's! Cheers

rod

Retired 22 years
I could not believe how many of you responded to my DOK post! Thanks for your support and kind words. I would especially like to thank DRAGON for your reply. I think if you were my center manager I would stick around for another year or so. It is good to hear guys like you are still out there. I think that it takes a certain breed of person to be a good UPSER and 99% of the people that I have worked with have been great. As we all know it only takes a few with an agenda to ruin it. I plan on working until November then I will be able to really enjoy a Christmas for the first time in 33yrs with my family! That is going to feel so strange!! Good luck to all of my fellow UPSer's! Cheers

Trust me----you will get used to retirement real fast.

S

splozi

Sorry to break the flow of the thread, as this is irrelevant to the topic. But, can someone tell me what DOK stands for? My pt time sup doesn't even know.

A

anonymous6

Sorry to break the flow of the thread, as this is irrelevant to the topic. But, can someone tell me what DOK stands for? My pt time sup doesn't even know.

don't open knees

it is also a stool softener.

H

htown0721

We had the same issue at my center, however, I have a degree in kinesiology and informed our safety members that by going down that far you are doing damage to your knees and throwing off your core center or balance, making the lift even more dangerous. Think of it as doing a squat, your legs should go no lower than a 45 degree angle. I do not know where these idiots come up with this stuff but it is not based on science and health concepts.

Indecisi0n

We had the same issue at my center, however, I have a degree in kinesiology and informed our safety members that by going down that far you are doing damage to your knees and throwing off your core center or balance, making the lift even more dangerous. Think of it as doing a squat, your legs should go no lower than a 45 degree angle. I do not know where these idiots come up with this stuff but it is not based on science and health concepts.

I am sorry but you are wrong. I have a background in bodybuilding and there is a myth that squats kill the knees (in healthy people). You can safety squat all the way down (we in the bodybuilding world call it @$$ to the grass) without any knee pain. There are a few requirements to take into account. Of course the first is keeping the back straight. A lot of people push and balance themselves on the front portion of their foot which is wrong. Your weight needs to be on the back of the heal (as if you were squatting down in the woods to take a crap lol) . It feels weird at first and some might even fall over trying to do it but its the correct way to do it. When you squat your knees shouldn't move forward past your feet. If you are squatting deep and your knees are moving past your feet then you are doing it wrong and that will hurt your knees.
So to recap:
Back straight (some recommend head up the help keep back straight but that is person preference)
Keep weight in the heals of the foot
When you drive up drive with weight on heal and use hips to move

This is how to do a proper Full Squat (@$$ to grass squat)

Barbell Full Squat

H

htown0721

Ok because you have a background in body building does not make you right, I have a degree in sports medicine and the latest studies show that anything lower than a 45 degree angle is wasted motion and bad for the knees because you are putting pressure on the joints in what is considered a unnatural motion. I am sorry but you are wrong. You can check it out here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drsquat12.htm. Your knees should never EVER extend past your feet while doing a squat which is what our safety people are asking of us. It causes unnecessary stress to the knees and is unsafe, you would think with all your experience as a bodybuilder you would know this. Thanks for trying.

The Milkman

I have been a pkg car driver for over 32 yrs now, and a Circle of Honor driver. Last Thursday when I came in off my route there were a group of safety managers waiting to test us on the DOK. I don't panic because I can recite all of them in my sleep. My center manager and sups know this, so they always "steer" the testers to me. I aced everything that I was asked. Then one of the testers asked me to recite and demonstrate the 8 keys to lifting and lowering. I had already recited the 8 keys earlier, but for some reason they asked me again to not only recite it again but, to also demonstrate using a prop pkg. After the demonstration I was told that I did not bend my knees enough when I squatted down to pick up the pkg! He told me that we are now expected to squat like a catcher until our butts almost touch the ground before lifting. I told him that I was never instructed that way but he still gave me a failure. Now none of them congratulated me on knowing everything to do with the DOK, the only thing they harped on was the one "mistake". The next morning my Ctr mgr came up to me and asked me again to demonstrate the 8 keys!! By the way I found my 29yr safe driving award stuffed in my cubbie. No presentation, no thanks for being a safe driver, no handshake, no nothing. I had plans of working for at least 1 more year because I still love what I do,but I have decided to retire this fall. I don't like the direction that this once great company is headed with all of there micro managing! I want to leave on my own terms still at the top of my game, and most of all I want to remember the way UPS was, and not what it is becoming. Cheers

After 32 Years..does this surprise you?? I left in 08 , left as soon as I was eligble..and I to wanted to remember UPS the way it once was, which unfortunately has gone down the tubes in the name of shareholder profits..All them 32 yrs, safe driving awards, all are earned but not respected by management and it is sad because going back many yrs while still on paper we bought this company to where it is today on the Global scene . The boys in Atlanta seem to forget where we once were, and at one time, although a tough job you were proud of the Brown Shield on your shirt.. Hang it up, walk out , don't limp or hobble out the door as many do by waiting too long and on your way out the door , don't turn and look back as they have turned their backs on us for years..Soon like all us retirees.....we will fade away in their memories (glad he retired so we can beat up some rookie for starting pay) as nothing but numbers in the Halls of UPS:not_fair:

BigBrown3605

Catchers in baseball wear padding on thier calves that are connected to thier shin guards. They are called "knee savers". This is to prevent your butt from going further down that its needs to be and injuring your knee.

this company is so retarded. Congrats on your 30 and now you can a healthy dump on ups.

texan

Thank You for setting the example.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
you have to rep I believe seven different people before you can rep the same person..............I have the same problem sometimes.

And.............I got a plaque Friday for 22 years Safe Driving, when I really have 24 in three weeks. So much for Safety Recognition. Most of the recognition doesn't amount too much, but I think it would be nice to retire with Circle of Honor in the next couple of years.

BS...the recognition amounts to absolutely EVERYTHING!!!

I recognize the massive accomplishment 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 and more years of safe driving is...

The roads have become more dangerous with time and distracted drivers.

That patch...forgive me if I gush with pride but the accomplishment is massive!!!
I recently stopped at a gas station and as I was paying at the register...I looked up and standing next to me was a Circle of Honor Driver.

I reopened my wallet and purchased the coffee and donut in his hands.
As I did this, I explained to the cashier....I gushed with pride to the cashier....what the patch on his shoulder signifies!!!

I feel I can SAFELY say your peers COMPLETEY understand and respect the PATCH and YOU MUST ALWAYS wear it with PRIDE.

menotyou

bella amicizia
you have to rep I believe seven different people before you can rep the same person..............I have the same problem sometimes.

And.............I got a plaque Friday for 22 years Safe Driving, when I really have 24 in three weeks. So much for Safety Recognition. Most of the recognition doesn't amount too much, but I think it would be nice to retire with Circle of Honor in the next couple of years.
I agree, AJ. A pat on the back earned is a pat on the back deserved.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Catchers wear the knee savers because u need to be on the balls of your feet to move quickly behind the plate and this puts your knees out over your feet which I'm sure everyone with all their "degrees" can agree is when injuries happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's only been recently that catchers have worn "knee savers". Prior to this they would squat much lower and many had their careers ended prematurely as a result.