Donating to united way

clean hairy

I might be mistaken, but say you make a 1 time donation to UW of say $100 designating XYZ charity.
I believe UW takes 15-20%? for administrative cost off the top.
XYZ Charity would only receive $80-$85 of your intended donation.
Again, I could be mistaken. On the occasions I donate to a charity, I donate directly to the charity and cut out any middleman.
Considering mistakes happen as well, some charity other than the one designated could get your $.

over9five

Staff member
I give to United Way because:

1. It's easy. Deducted from pay every week.
2. Easy to do taxes. Amount is right there on final pay stub for year.
3. It's easy to say "Yeah, I'll donate on my own", but are you REALLY gonna remember to do that? I wouldn't.
4. I just hope it does someone, somewhere, some good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I might be mistaken, but say you make a 1 time donation to UW of say $100 designating XYZ charity.
I believe UW takes 15-20%? for administrative cost off the top.
XYZ Charity would only receive $80-$85 of your intended donation.
Again, I could be mistaken. On the occasions I donate to a charity, I donate directly to the charity and cut out any middleman.
Considering mistakes happen as well, some charity other than the one designated could get your $.

UPS matches 15% of your contribution to cover the admin costs.

clean hairy

So, if no one gave to UW, UPS would have tons of cash from not matching the 15% contribution.
Why disagree, Upstate?
If say nationwide, 10 million is donated, UPS is parting with 1.5 million for the 15% match. (don't really know, just picked a random number for example)
By disagreeing, you are saying UPS would not have extra $$ when I just showed they would?

muthatrucka

Why disagree, Upstate?
If say nationwide, 10 million is donated, UPS is parting with 1.5 million for the 15% match. (don't really know, just picked a random number for example)
By disagreeing, you are saying UPS would not have extra $$ when I just showed they would?
They've parted with 100 million for these disaster CNG tractors we are driving. The maintainance alone is costing them a fortune! Also heard the new administration won't honor the tax write offs promised when they bought them all. It'll take at least 10 years before the people who matter figure out what a waste of cash these things were, as usual.

Box Ox

When management asks you to donate to UW next year, tell them you still resent the infamous "Great Launch of '86" (what I'm calling it), when 1.5 million United Way fundraising balloons were released into Cleveland.

Spotted this during today's morning reading:

the "asteroid field" of airborne debris clouded the sky, shut down a runway at a local airport, interrupted Coast Guard attempts to rescue a pair of fisherman, spooked some prize-winning horses, and generally made a mess

http://gizmodo.com/that-time-cleveland-released-1-5-million-balloons-and-c-1565731191

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Im 100% positive I was never asked if I wanted to donate but some money comes out of my paycheck weekly. I don't want it to. Do they automatically sign you up for this? Can I opt out? Thanks.
Lol. Ups management is under huge pressure to get drivers to donate, it's the one thing they can't instruct us to do so I stopped giving because I could. They forged your paperwork plain and simple

DOK

They've parted with 100 million for these disaster CNG tractors we are driving. The maintainance alone is costing them a fortune! Also heard the new administration won't honor the tax write offs promised when they bought them all. It'll take at least 10 years before the people who matter figure out what a waste of cash these things were, as usual.
Monies no object here, they're doing it to appease the Green crowd, plain and simple.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yeah I definitely was never asked and never signed anything. Ill be looking more into where this came from with HR. Thanks guys
That's called theft. Also, you may not even want to donate to United Way as they support leftist organizations that push for gun control and abortion. If you fine with that, fine, but others may not be. Oh and their CEO, maybe 8 years ago or so, was paying himself $20 or $30 million a year salary. A total fraudulent setup.

Future

Victory Ride
Im 100% positive I was never asked if I wanted to donate but some money comes out of my paycheck weekly. I don't want it to. Do they automatically sign you up for this? Can I opt out? Thanks.
I have heard this over the years ...happens a lot ....bunch of crap by some over zealous sup

Observer

There is a form on UPSers that you can donate there and select a charity that you want. The form is passed on to your sup and they leave you alone. Yes, United Way is not a good "charity" but at least I can delegate where my donation is going to. They do harass you to donate. In fact -UW is the only time they actually are concerned about you. They gotta get their bonus. At Firestone Tire (remember them?) that is how you got your raise or not. Pretty pathetic.