Done early

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, you do drive the miles. I am kinda surprised that UPS doesn't load you up with city air or other stops before you head on out for your first rural stop. Nice route. I could work until I was 80 with a route like that. I am sure you have put your time in with lousy routes to get a route like that. Sweeeeeet! And I understand why you would want to go home early everyday. But, how do you get around that mandatory lunch in the DIAD? We are locked out of our boards for our lunch.

Yeah, you do drive the miles. I am kinda surprised that UPS doesn't load you up with city air or other stops before you head on out for your first rural stop. Nice route. I could work until I was 80 with a route like that. I am sure you have put your time in with lousy routes to get a route like that. Sweeeeeet! And I understand why you would want to go home early everyday. But, how do you get around that mandatory lunch in the DIAD? We are locked out of our boards for our lunch.

helen, I have heard that you can put your lunch in late with the lunch program as long as you put it in before the end of your lunch. Say you are taking your lunch from 12:00 to 12:30 It will work if you put your lunch in at 12:25. From 12:00 to 12:30. It will count down the last five minutes.

Please excuse my ignorance.
Are you locked out without having put your real time lunch/break in?
At what time in the day do they lock you out?
I could fake my way around it, but I haven't seen a lock out for lunch.
How does it work?

when you put your lunch in the board it counts down the minutes. But it also promps you a couple times before the end of your 5th hour. Or when you have to start your lunch by (depending on your suplement). If you start you lunch late its a violation. You can't fake it, big brother is always watching. Easy to tell if you are sheeting during lunch, or doing a lot of prerecording before lunch.

LKLND3380

Hustling and getting done early seems to be a sin to most drivers on this forum. All I see is drivers complaining about guys getting done early and screwing up the routes. Why is this?

I don't know of ANY drivers that would say it's a sin to get done early. I think most drivers would love to get done early and be home resting.

1. Work at a brisk pace
2. Follow all Methods
3. Take all breaks
4. Take all lunches
5. Check for misloads and report them back to your center

If you finish early then chances are you do not follow proper methods or take breaks and lunches.

Braveheart

Make sure you do the speed limit, walk, don't run, take your lunch, and do not sort off the clock, do not use drive time back to building as lunch time either. Some of us old timers can't run it off like others. We either have knee, ankle, back problems or are close to having them.

I used to smoke off routes 7-8 years ago. Now I am paying for it with bad knees! I make extra efforts in going the extra mile with alternate delivery, hiding resi boxes, leave on back porch, putting stuff in DR bags, and actually walking up to the houses instead of just throwing everything over the fence. I have very few driver follow ups.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Funny how you go done with your work more than an hour earlier than normal when you wanted to. So why does it take an hour longer any other day?

This is kind of funny coming from someone who's potentially worst injury would be a paper cut.

As I explained, I asked permission to skip my lunch and break to get done early so that I could spend time with my daughter; actually, it is none of your business why I wanted to get done early, but that is not the point. The point is I skipped my break (10 min) and my lunch (45 min) which equals 55 min (but I'm sure you knew that since you work in TSG) which is almost an hour which is roughly how much sooner I was done.

I have come to realize that if an issue does not concern me than I do not offer comment on it. May I suggest that you consider adopting this philosophy.

upsgrunt

when you put your lunch in the board it counts down the minutes. But it also promps you a couple times before the end of your 5th hour. Or when you have to start your lunch by (depending on your suplement). If you start you lunch late its a violation. You can't fake it, big brother is always watching. Easy to tell if you are sheeting during lunch, or doing a lot of prerecording before lunch.

If you put your 12:00 to 12:30 lunch in at 12:25 and are only locked out for 5 minutes, isn't that fudging the numbers?

ImpactedTSG

This is kind of funny coming from someone who's potentially worst injury would be a paper cut.

As I explained, I asked permission to skip my lunch and break to get done early so that I could spend time with my daughter; actually, it is none of your business why I wanted to get done early, but that is not the point. The point is I skipped my break (10 min) and my lunch (45 min) which equals 55 min (but I'm sure you knew that since you work in TSG) which is almost an hour which is roughly how much sooner I was done.

I have come to realize that if an issue does not concern me than I do not offer comment on it. May I suggest that you consider adopting this philosophy.
Ok, I was wrong, but if you read a couple posts down from my post, I apologized and explained that I did not know what that code meant.

New Englander

The biggest reason I see drivers not getting their routes done on a decent dispatch day is gabbing with the customers and not accurately putting in the time as break.

On days those drivers want to get the route in, they generally can. I'm going to guess the kept the friendly chat down.

People really fail to realize just how much time gets lost here. Especially if done at several spots. It adds up.

Originally Posted by tvick
40- 45 rural route stops, 210-230 miles(in a p47 sprinter), 45 miles traveling to the 1st stop and the same from my last pickup, and pieces anywhere from 65- 100
That's what we call a "Retirement Route" here. That many stops and miles buys you a 7-7 1/2 hour day in our center, at best. Actually we don't have any routes that dispatch with less that 55 stops and they regularly run right at 300 miles. I do one route that is 90 miles to the first stop, 90 back. Pulls a trailer with two sat center routes loaded in it, that meet point is 42 miles from the home center. 75-85 stops, 150 packages,14 pick up stops . The route (if lucky) leaves the home center at 9:30 am, has to be back no later than 18:45 with out going air. Total miles usually 230. That's barely an 8.50 dispatch.
Then there's peek season.

helenofcalifornia

So who out there does NOT have to take a mandatory 1/2 or 1 hour lunch? And I thought everyone got locked out at lunch time. Another inconsistency with UPS.

If you put your 12:00 to 12:30 lunch in at 12:25 and are only locked out for 5 minutes, isn't that fudging the numbers?

Yes...well only if you were to perform work between those times...Say you were taking a break...Then you decide to make it your lunch instead. Take that break later.

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
So who out there does NOT have to take a mandatory 1/2 or 1 hour lunch? And I thought everyone got locked out at lunch time. Another inconsistency with UPS.

We don't get locked out of our board............YET! I am sure it isn't far away thou. We are supposed to be going on EDD at the end of this month, does that have anything to do with being locked out of our boards?? Right now they are just telling us to "record" an hour of lunch. Seems like it would be a terrible buisiness decision to lock drivers out of their board! No more free labor that UPS has been getting so much of in the past!!

currahee

We are not locked out here in New England. They dont care if you take lunch , but it better be coded off in the board.
Its an hour and two 10,s here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Start a class action lawsuit in your state and you'll get locked out.

That is exactly why employees in California are "locked out" during their lunch period. Here in Upstate NY we have to record both a 10 minute break and a 45 minute lunch and will have a chat with the center manager if we fail to do so and must ask permission if we would like to skip our lunch and break to get done early (see my post above) but they don't really care when we record them, just as long as they are in the board. I don't foresee the lock out coming to our center any time soon.