don't you wish you worked for GM?

Nick9075

On mobile, too lazy to link, but 47000+ are getting 7,000+ profit sharing checks

Nothing is stopping anyone from applying. If you are on this site, you have Internet access so just go on their website and apply
Also most of the job growth has been in high paying field like manufacturing and construction as well as in the trades.

Sent using BrownCafe App

FedExRookie

Nothing is stopping anyone from applying. If you are on this site, you have Internet access so just go on their website and apply
Also most of the job growth has been in high paying field like manufacturing and construction as well as in the trades.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well considering I have an internship in the field that I am getting my bachelor's degree in, and it's pretty much guaranteed you get hired on, that is stopping me from applying. I'm just on the board to break up the monotony of studying.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That wasn't the question nor is it the topic being discussed.

Yes, it is, because you love Ground, yet you won't give up your $32 per hour union gig to go drive for them. Come on, Upstate, quit that overpaid union job that promotes "mediocrity" and go be a boot-strapping" Ground driver or ISP. You are the biggest hypocrite on this website

bbsam

Staff member
Actually, if Upstate wanted to after retiring, he could probably profit from the model as a "safety consultant" to a group of contractors without violating any agreement with UPS/Teamsters.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Actually, if Upstate wanted to after retiring, he could probably profit from the model as a "safety consultant" to a group of contractors without violating any agreement with UPS/Teamsters.
Yeah but if he resigns as much as he does here on the forums it might be a headache trying to keep track of him.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I really love the GM Corvettes. The Pratt & Miller C65 was the boss of GT1 at LeMans.
Just a few ticks slower than the LMP1s.

And that LT1 powerplant.

Just a standard small block Chevy...from 250hp to just over 900 in full race trim.

Serf

With respect to this thread. Not intending to hijack it. But I am not certain creating a new one will relate to anything we are squabbling about. But it does pertain to a union issue. But I am not union so here goes. Did you all read that Volkswagen in Tennessee voted down the Union for workers by a vote of 712-626. In the article on CBS news it even states that Volkswagen tacitly endorsed the union and even allowed organizers into the Chattanooga factory to make sales pitches. Interesting, indeed.

MAKAVELI

With respect to this thread. Not intending to hijack it. But I am not certain creating a new one will relate to anything we are squabbling about. But it does pertain to a union issue. But I am not union so here goes. Did you all read that Volkswagen in Tennessee voted down the Union for workers by a vote of 712-626. In the article on CBS news it even states that Volkswagen tacitly endorsed the union and even allowed organizers into the Chattanooga factory to make sales pitches. Interesting, indeed.
Quite a difference than the union busting tactics Fred S uses.

Serf

Quite a difference than the union busting tactics Fred S uses.

True. My initial thought when I heard this was the factory workers at Volkswagen must have a good thing going if VW welcomed the Union in and the workers still voted no. For some reason I don't think that would be the case at Express.

FedExRookie

There are no facts only our opinions as to why the workers opposed it. Here are my assumptions.

1. Politicians ran anti democrat/obama ads. Saying supporting a union was like supporting liberals. Everyone knows Tennesse is a red state.

2. The workers saw Detroit fall with unions.

3. Workers see it as paying another organization when they don't have to. Three is a crowd?

4. Maybe people just don't want unions

5. I read a local Tennessee blog, a non Volkswagen workers said $18 is more than enough there. He felt as though workers were happy with that pay, considering the cost of living, and felt no reason to interject another party into a circumstance that would leave the workers well off for their location.

The UAW has seen drastic drops in membership. I think unions can be a good thing, but all good things become corrupt and come to an end. The union went from being about the workers to being about making money and doing just a little for the workers. It's not feasible to do; however, unions and politics would be a lot better if we could hit a magic restart button on them.

MAKAVELI

There are no facts only our opinions as to why the workers opposed it. Here are my assumptions.

1. Politicians ran anti democrat/obama ads. Saying supporting a union was like supporting liberals. Everyone knows Tennesse is a red state.

2. The workers saw Detroit fall with unions.

3. Workers see it as paying another organization when they don't have to. Three is a crowd?

4. Maybe people just don't want unions

5. I read a local Tennessee blog, a non Volkswagen workers said $18 is more than enough there. He felt as though workers were happy with that pay, considering the cost of living, and felt no reason to interject another party into a circumstance that would leave the workers well off for their location.

The UAW has seen drastic drops in membership. I think unions can be a good thing, but all good things become corrupt and come to an end. The union went from being about the workers to being about making money and doing just a little for the workers. It's not feasible to do; however, unions and politics would be a lot better if we could hit a magic restart button on them.
It's a two way street when it comes to greed and corruption. One could argue that the decline in wages and benefits for the average worker and increase in executive pay and focus on stock prices has a direct relationship to the decline of union membership in America. Imo there will always be a need for unions to even the playing field.

Serf

Imo there will always be a need for unions to even the playing field.

Perhaps. For me the unions are antiquated. What they stood for in the 1950's and 60's to what they are today. The statement that was made by the workers in Tennessee speaks volumes. True, Tennessee has always been a Red State. But the workers are making good wages as it relates to the cost of living there. And they most likely took an example from Detroit. But probably most importantly it shows that the majority of employees feel they are getting a fair shake from Volkswagen.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
But probably most importantly it shows that the majority of employees feel they are getting a fair shake from Volkswagen.
Well maybe for now. Maybe we'll sit back and watch the takeaways begin ala Fred S now that they realize that the union is no longer a threat.