Doordash picking up UPS packages

10:30 resi

I don't see how this would benefit UPS at all. It's $5.38 to have a doordasher pick up a box off of my porch. It's $13.98 if I request the same pickup from UPS online.
UPS, if involved, benefits by not employing the doordash driver. UPS does not have to give them union negotiated wages or benefits.

Could this really be considered subcontracting? In this return package case, there was never an opportunity for a UPS driver to pick up the package unless either the shipper issued a return label or the consumer specifically requested a UPS pickup.
UPS offers on demand pick up services and that work is preformed by members of the bargaining unit. If UPS in involved in the sale of a comparable service where that work is preformed by the employee of a different company, how would that not be subcontracting?

DoorDash isn’t the only delivery company that has worked to offer such a service. Back in 2015, Uber offered a “limited-time” option for customers to send return packages to post offices. The feature was called “Returns” and was powered by UberRush, which shut down in 2018. Similarly, a former on-demand shipping startup called Shyp offered a service that picked up packages and delivered them to their destination. The company ended operations in 2018 after struggling to find a scalable model beyond its launching point in San Francisco. Time will tell if DoorDash has success with this.
This was before I started my career with UPS. I would have had the same problem with program. Was the company involved in the Uber program? My guess is no, otherwise the union would have shut it down. The company may not be involved in the doordash program either. I am aware if UPS is not involved likely nothing can be done. Hence my original question

With the number of drop off locations available for a consumer to return a package, it seems like this has a limited audience. It's very easy to find a drop-off location for a UPS package. Then again, people want convenience so I'm sure there will be some that find this new option appealing.
On demand pickup services for rs1 type packages have a limited audience. It's pretty easy for the customer to just take it to the store or give it to the next driver they see. Then again, people want convenience, so some find it appealing. When they order an on demand pick up, that work goes to a member of the bargaining unit.

Yolo

UPS, if involved, benefits by not employing the doordash driver. UPS does not have to give them union negotiated wages or benefits.

Yeah but UPS brings in $14 revenue if a UPS driver picks it up. If door dash picks it up they bring in $0 revenue. What is UPS gaining out of this? To UPS it's no different than if someone dropped the package off at the UPS store themselves.

Yeah but UPS brings in $14 revenue if a UPS driver picks it up. If door dash picks it up they bring in $0 revenue. What is UPS gaining out of this? To UPS it's no different than if someone dropped the package off at the UPS store themselves.
You assume that UPS is not receiving a portion of the revenue that doordash is collecting from this service in exchange for allowing this service to exist. Maybe you are right. I think it's worth asking if that is what's happening instead of making an assumption.

worldwide

If UPS is in any way involved in having packages picked up and transported by non UPS employees, they are absolutely using it as a back door to subcontracting.

If people wish to drop their packages off at UPS or the UPS Store, that's fine. If a package is being shipped, and a courier that is not UPS is involved in moving it, it's blatantly subcontracting. That pickup should have belonged to a union UPS driver.
In the DoorDash case, UPS is not involved in having the package picked up and transported by a non-UPS employee. It's the customers decision how they get their package into the UPS network. The consumer is making that decision based on the options the company paying for the return has given them (i.e. free DIY drop off at UPS Store, drop, hand to a driver or pay to have someone come to your house to get it). How is a customer deciding to take a prepaid package to the UPS Store themselves any different than the customer deciding to pay someone to take it to the UPS Store for them?

I don't think that the Teamsters can dictate to a consumer how they get their shipment to the UPS Store. If I am paying for the transportation from my home/business to the UPS Store (as in the DoorDash example), it's my choice how I spend my money. Personally, I'd rather not pay more so I'll take the prepaid package to the store myself or use a drop box. Some consumers are willing to pay for it and since it's their money, it's their choice.

At the end of the day, I don't think this service is really going to be that popular and it will have a very niche audience: customers who don't want to take the package to the UPS Store themselves and are willing to pay for it. Either way, the package gets in the system and is sorted, handled and, in most cases, delivered by a Teamster.

In the DoorDash case, UPS is not involved in having the package picked up and transported by a non-UPS employee. It's the customers decision how they get their package into the UPS network. The consumer is making that decision based on the options the company paying for the return has given them (i.e. free DIY drop off at UPS Store, drop, hand to a driver or pay to have someone come to your house to get it). How is a customer deciding to take a prepaid package to the UPS Store themselves any different than the customer deciding to pay someone to take it to the UPS Store for them?

I don't think that the Teamsters can dictate to a consumer how they get their shipment to the UPS Store. If I am paying for the transportation from my home/business to the UPS Store (as in the DoorDash example), it's my choice how I spend my money. Personally, I'd rather not pay more so I'll take the prepaid package to the store myself or use a drop box. Some consumers are willing to pay for it and since it's their money, it's their choice.

At the end of the day, I don't think this service is really going to be that popular and it will have a very niche audience: customers who don't want to take the package to the UPS Store themselves and are willing to pay for it. Either way, the package gets in the system and is sorted, handled and, in most cases, delivered by a Teamster.

I agree with all the points you are making. If UPS isn't involved then that's the end of it. You say they arent. OK... How do you know this?

I realize the company probably has nothing to do with doordash. I realize I probably seem like a conspiracy theorist. But what if UPS and doordash ARE working together on this? It'd be a pretty big deal, I think. I'd like to be certain.

nWo

You assume that UPS is not receiving a portion of the revenue that doordash is collecting from this service in exchange for allowing this service to exist. Maybe you are right. I think it's worth asking if that is what's happening instead of making an assumption.

I think the point is that it's only $5. They have to pay someone to drive to their house. Pick up and a package and then drop it at the UPS Store. Say they pay the DD driver $4 to do this. And unless it's a super short trip or the driver was already heading in that direction then the driver is barely breaking even. Then there's $1 left to split between doordash and UPS. There's simply not enough money for UPS to get a portion. And if you are doordash why would you give UPS a portion? Doordash does not need permission from UPS to start this service.

Johney

I pick up packages and drop them off for people too lazy to drive the store. It's called making a delivery. It's how I make my living.
Once its in the customers hands its their property they can get it to the ups store anyway they like. Beside I’m sure you have enough to do you should be bitching about pvds they are stealing your work not doordash.

Last edited:

Once its in the customers hands its their property they can get it to the ups store anyway they like. Beside I’m sure you have enough to do you should be bitching about pvds they are stealing your work not doordash.
Bitching about PVD's is beating a dead horse. This is a new, exciting, previously unexplored topic to bitch about. No?