Doordash picking up UPS packages

Returntosender

Eliminate me!
🧔‍♂️✊
7EF43BAF-30B9-402B-969F-CF694E4602FC.gif

worldwide

I agree with all the points you are making. If UPS isn't involved then that's the end of it. You say they arent. OK... How do you know this?

The only UPS involvement is that they have an API for shipping which is provided free of charge to anyone that wants to incorporate it into their process. This API, along with many others, have been available for years for businesses to use to make it easier to do business with UPS. A potential user simply goes to the app section of UPS.com, clicks through a user agreement and away they go. As long as they follow the user agreement, UPS doesn't care who uses these APIs.

10:30 resi

The only UPS involvement is that they have an API for shipping which is provided free of charge to anyone that wants to incorporate it into their process. This API, along with many others, have been available for years for businesses to use to make it easier to do business with UPS. A potential user simply goes to the app section of UPS.com, clicks through a user agreement and away they go. As long as they follow the user agreement, UPS doesn't care who uses these APIs.
OK... How do you know this is the only UPS involvement?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If UPS is in any way involved in having packages picked up and transported by non UPS employees, they are absolutely using it as a back door to subcontracting.

If people wish to drop their packages off at UPS or the UPS Store, that's fine. If a package is being shipped, and a courier that is not UPS is involved in moving it, it's blatantly subcontracting. That pickup should have belonged to a union UPS driver.
Yea but is it a violation of the contract for someone to drop off a shipping pre-paid parcel? Really no different than someone bringing it to the customer counter.

Commercial Inside Release

Except the customer counters are being shut down with no notice... Causing an army of zombie Amazon customers that shuffle along downtown streets all afternoon, looking for a victim to dump their packages on.

AKCoverMan

I agree with all the points you are making. If UPS isn't involved then that's the end of it. You say they arent. OK... How do you know this?

I realize the company probably has nothing to do with doordash. I realize I probably seem like a conspiracy theorist. But what if UPS and doordash ARE working together on this? It'd be a pretty big deal, I think. I'd like to be certain.
We are talking about the business of shipping a package from point A to point B. If point A is the customer‘s location and a commercial for-profit entity is involved in moving the package from point A to some intermediate transfer point (ie a UPS Store or Center) then I’m pretty sure that is our work is being performed by non union entity and we should fight that.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We are talking about the business of shipping a package from point A to point B. If point A is the customer‘s location and a commercial for-profit entity is involved in moving the package from point A to some intermediate transfer point (ie a UPS Store or Center) then I’m pretty sure that is our work is being performed by non union entity and we should fight that.
Exactly

Wally

So all the company has to do is change the pick up address to wherever Doordash drops it off. Easy fix. Just add a third party entry on the website.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
So all the company has to do is change the pick up address to wherever Doordash drops it off. Easy fix. Just add a third party entry on the website.
UPS is a logistics company.
A union logistics company.

We move packages for a living.
If UPS is involved in moving packages outside of using union labor, we should all have a problem with that.

Wally

UPS is a logistics company.
A union logistics company.

We move packages for a living.
If UPS is involved in moving packages outside of using union labor, we should all have a problem with that.
Still, how do you stop someone from choosing another shipping location?

AKCoverMan

Still, how do you stop someone from choosing another shipping location?
Could be, but still would have to put all that in place. Right now it’s non union subcontractors moving our packages from customers shopping location to intermediate transfer point.

And if UPS starts offering this service on their site, we also have a problem.

DOK

Yeah but UPS brings in $14 revenue if a UPS driver picks it up. If door dash picks it up they bring in $0 revenue. What is UPS gaining out of this? To UPS it's no different than if someone dropped the package off at the UPS store themselves.
Exactly, I don’t think ups is involved in this, it’s competition.

UncleRico

UPS owns Roadie.com
Door dash doing this is just the excuse UPS needs to move return packages over to Roadie.
Door dash is just a distraction.....UPS buying Roadie App was definitely ultimately done with ulterior motives imo...I'm looking at their app on someones phone atm....they could easily make pickup orders for packages to be brought to a UPS store or special drop off point (or reverse)...as it is , I've been told that the Walmart Express packages (with special labels) need to be scanned at pickup and at delivery site...eerily getting more and more similar to UPS....each order has its own tag # printed by Walmart...I guess very recently they have been putting out larger orders for like 10-40 deliveries in some areas(with good $ payouts) and these drivers are gaga about it...maybe these are "test" runs....hmmm

Last edited: