DOT Exam

Doc Sorting Dude

After years of driving a W700, I've bid for a new route that uses a Sprinter exclusively. My DOT card expires in 2 months. I'm getting conflicting answers about needing to be qualified as a DOT driver for a sprinter. Some say there is no need to take the exam anymore. Is this true? I'm getting up there age wise and really bidded for this new route because I am only 3 years away from retirement. Feedback?

SmithBarney

You Don't need a DOT card for sprinter, however if the bid route has the possibility of hauling DG that requires placarding then yes you will have to keep DOT, the BID in JCATS will say DOT or NON DOT.

outtatime

You Don't need a DOT card for sprinter, however if the bid route has the possibility of hauling DG that requires placarding then yes you will have to keep DOT, the BID in JCATS will say DOT or NON DOT.
You need one if the Sprinter is one of the Dodge versions with dually rear wheels.

overflowed

This is correct, however ask the manager on the bid.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it's better for you to have the dot card in case there are any changes. remember murphy's law. whatever can go wrong will go wrong. is that right?

STFXG

2500 sprinters are under 10k gvw. 3500 are over. Depends on the truck you will be driving as to whether or not you need the medical card.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

He can't transport placarded DG with a DOT card unless he also has a CDL with a hazmat endorsement.

Doc Sorting Dude

I would think you would want to renew your card "just in case".

Are there health issues that may disqualify you?

Health issues? No, but as we get older; it is harder and harder to pass the DOT exam. I had for years an industrial route and want to leave the heavy pups to the younger guys. Many in our station renew their DOT cards just in case they need to driver a 700 or larger in case a sprinter to service or something. Oh well, I may just renew it. It's not like I'm paying for it. Our workgroups are getting younger and younger as this year we will see no lees than 6 people retire.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I would think you would want to renew your card "just in case".

Are there health issues that may disqualify you?

it's better for you to have the dot card in case there are any changes. remember murphy's law. whatever can go wrong will go wrong. is that right?

She's got 99% of us on ignore so she has no clue answers have been given numerous times before she pipes in with all her "wisdom".

SmithBarney

Health issues? No, but as we get older; it is harder and harder to pass the DOT exam. I had for years an industrial route and want to leave the heavy pups to the younger guys. Many in our station renew their DOT cards just in case they need to driver a 700 or larger in case a sprinter to service or something. Oh well, I may just renew it. It's not like I'm paying for it. Our workgroups are getting younger and younger as this year we will see no lees than 6 people retire.

We had just the same thing happen Older guy got dis-classified? down to NON-DOT, engineering says he needed a W700 2 yrs later, and viola he can't pass the DOT test because of some health issue... last I heard he transferred...to some sunny spot in AZ....