New Young Feeder Driver

Hey all. 25 year old feeder driver here. I am the newest low man (on call). This is so exciting. I look at the seniority and bid board, and people have FT seniority dates dating back to the 70s and 80s. It's insane, but makes me excited to make a career out of UPS and have about 35+ years left of work in me. I'm single, have no debt, and budget pretty hard. I've built a decent nest egg for myself, so I think that's why I am more excited than nervous as most people getting into feeders may be older, have mouths to feed, mortgage, much more bills. My very first day upon passing the 5 day training course, I got called in to do a 600 mile run. That was an awesome 12 hour day, I didn't realize we went so far.

I was hoping to gain some information on insurance, 401k, and the employee stock purchase plan. I think I found most of the information, but would love some clarification. For insurance, I believe I need to work 225 hours in a quarter to qualify for part time benefits? Is the 401k w/ match available to me after I have 6 months in w/ UPS? Lastly, the employee stock purchase plan, I see is a 5% discount on UPS stock, do I need a certain length w/ the company to set this all up? Thanks in advance.

- BigRigger

trickpony1

Sign every bid sheet they post....even if you don't like the run.

It offers consistency in your life but, more importantly, you gain seniority.

Hope this helps.

Some things that might help -

Local union #
Current waist size
Got it. I plan on going in today even if I don't get called in to grab the local union number and talk to someone about the questions I asked.

Yeah they got me 3 shirts, 3 pants, one jacket, and one belt for my uniform. The pants I have to get hemmed because the sizing was out of whack haha. The 34 waist is working for me, I could have went 32 but whatever.

Sign every bid sheet they post....even if you don't like the run.

It offers consistency in your life but, more importantly, you gain seniority.

Hope this helps.
Yup! That was the first thing I did upon completion of my 5 day training. It was the signups for volunteer Sundays. They texted me last night saying that I'm on and good for Sunday, so I'm super stoked. Trying to take all the hours I can get. I'm hungry for work.

trickpony1

Yup! That was the first thing I did upon completion of my 5 day training. It was the signups for volunteer Sundays. They texted me last night saying that I'm on and good for Sunday, so I'm super stoked. Trying to take all the hours I can get. I'm hungry for work.
I'm not sure this will get you on the seniority list.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
Got it. I plan on going in today even if I don't get called in to grab the local union number and talk to someone about the questions I asked.

Yeah they got me 3 shirts, 3 pants, one jacket, and one belt for my uniform. The pants I have to get hemmed because the sizing was out of whack haha. The 34 waist is working for me, I could have went 32 but whatever.
I remember when I was a 32 , now it’s a 40.
I kept that 32 around for a long time thinking it was a possibility. Finally thew it out.

I remember when I was a 32 , now it’s a 40.
I kept that 32 around for a long time thinking it was a possibility. Finally thew it out.
I mean, I'm sure it happens. It's just kinda life and growing older. Since I've had my CDL A, that was a big concern with me. During my training and passing my road test, I always brought my lunch. However, my trainers always had me pull into gas stations or pizza shops so they could snack. I mean, there's just no shot I can maintain that lifestyle eating like that everyday, let alone how expensive that could get!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hey all. 25 year old feeder driver here. I am the newest low man (on call). This is so exciting. I look at the seniority and bid board, and people have FT seniority dates dating back to the 70s and 80s. It's insane, but makes me excited to make a career out of UPS and have about 35+ years left of work in me. I'm single, have no debt, and budget pretty hard. I've built a decent nest egg for myself, so I think that's why I am more excited than nervous as most people getting into feeders may be older, have mouths to feed, mortgage, much more bills. My very first day upon passing the 5 day training course, I got called in to do a 600 mile run. That was an awesome 12 hour day, I didn't realize we went so far.

I was hoping to gain some information on insurance, 401k, and the employee stock purchase plan. I think I found most of the information, but would love some clarification. For insurance, I believe I need to work 225 hours in a quarter to qualify for part time benefits? Is the 401k w/ match available to me after I have 6 months in w/ UPS? Lastly, the employee stock purchase plan, I see is a 5% discount on UPS stock, do I need a certain length w/ the company to set this all up? Thanks in advance.

- BigRigger
@Johney…you want to deal with this??? I’ll just throw this out there…you don’t get an 401k match and drop the “big rig” and just go with feeder Bobby…that is all young Padawan.

Family

Are you seasonal ?
Screenshot_20231026_133642_Chrome.jpg

Here we go

Coldworld

60 months and counting

- BigRigger
@Jkloc420, it that you???