New Young Feeder Driver

RangerMan06

Hey all. 25 year old feeder driver here. I am the newest low man (on call). This is so exciting. I look at the seniority and bid board, and people have FT seniority dates dating back to the 70s and 80s. It's insane, but makes me excited to make a career out of UPS and have about 35+ years left of work in me. I'm single, have no debt, and budget pretty hard. I've built a decent nest egg for myself, so I think that's why I am more excited than nervous as most people getting into feeders may be older, have mouths to feed, mortgage, much more bills. My very first day upon passing the 5 day training course, I got called in to do a 600 mile run. That was an awesome 12 hour day, I didn't realize we went so far.

I was hoping to gain some information on insurance, 401k, and the employee stock purchase plan. I think I found most of the information, but would love some clarification. For insurance, I believe I need to work 225 hours in a quarter to qualify for part time benefits? Is the 401k w/ match available to me after I have 6 months in w/ UPS? Lastly, the employee stock purchase plan, I see is a 5% discount on UPS stock, do I need a certain length w/ the company to set this all up? Thanks in advance.

- BigRigger
Don't make any big purchases while you're seasonal. You should also have a backup plan. UPS will likely let you go or hours will be scarce after peak

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Oh, Bobby, I wish you the best in all your dreams here but, as long as you are "Seasonal" all of your dreams will remain just that, dreams. You are subject to UPS's mantra of "Use, Abuse, Confuse, and finally, Excuse". But, I hope you get to stay on and go permanent after peak.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Oh, Bobby, I wish you the best in all your dreams here but, as long as you are "Seasonal" all of your dreams will remain just that, dreams. You are subject to UPS's mantra of "Use, Abuse, Confuse, and finally, Excuse". But, I hope you get to stay on and go permanent after peak.
Could happen…you don’t want to know how many off the street hires are in feeder’s here.

Whatthewhat

Seasonal.. you obviously didn’t ask too many questions when being hired. You’ll be let go soon after Christmas and told they’ll get back to you soon. With current layoffs in feeders, soon could be a really long time.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Hey all. 25 year old feeder driver here. I am the newest low man (on call). This is so exciting. I look at the seniority and bid board, and people have FT seniority dates dating back to the 70s and 80s. It's insane, but makes me excited to make a career out of UPS and have about 35+ years left of work in me. I'm single, have no debt, and budget pretty hard. I've built a decent nest egg for myself, so I think that's why I am more excited than nervous as most people getting into feeders may be older, have mouths to feed, mortgage, much more bills. My very first day upon passing the 5 day training course, I got called in to do a 600 mile run. That was an awesome 12 hour day, I didn't realize we went so far.

I was hoping to gain some information on insurance, 401k, and the employee stock purchase plan. I think I found most of the information, but would love some clarification. For insurance, I believe I need to work 225 hours in a quarter to qualify for part time benefits? Is the 401k w/ match available to me after I have 6 months in w/ UPS? Lastly, the employee stock purchase plan, I see is a 5% discount on UPS stock, do I need a certain length w/ the company to set this all up? Thanks in advance.

- BigRigger

I can appreciate the excitement and enthusiasm.

But, being hired as a seasonal.... you can't gain seniority during a free period. Being low man on the totem pole

will probably result in being used until the end of peak, and then released until volume picks back up. You are

a lucky young man to get hired on at a young age. Don't wreak the rig, be safe, and your time will come.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊

- BigRigger
You’re seasonal
🧔‍♂️✊

I can appreciate the excitement and enthusiasm.

But, being hired as a seasonal.... you can't gain seniority during a free period. Being low man on the totem pole

will probably result in being used until the end of peak, and then released until volume picks back up. You are

a lucky young man to get hired on at a young age. Don't wreak the rig, be safe, and your time will come.
Absolutely, I totally get all of this and have been listening to all of you. However, I have the mindset of, this is the only possible way to get on w/ UPS, so struggle while I am young and in the beginning, then reap the benefits in a few years, before I have a family and kids. I've been answering my phone every time they call w/ work opportunities, and plan to keep doing that.

During the "free period" you cannot gain seniority, those dates are 11/15 - 1/15, correct?

RangerMan06

Absolutely, I totally get all of this and have been listening to all of you. However, I have the mindset of, this is the only possible way to get on w/ UPS, so struggle while I am young and in the beginning, then reap the benefits in a few years, before I have a family and kids. I've been answering my phone every time they call w/ work opportunities, and plan to keep doing that.

During the "free period" you cannot gain seniority, those dates are 11/15 - 1/15, correct?
You have to be hired as part time and work the docks for a few years typically before gaining enough seniority to become a RPCD. Then work several more years to gain enough seniority to go into feeders. I've heard of exceptions but they are really rare. You'll most likely be let go after peak