DOT HOS Job classification.

This suggestion seems right and in regards to "matter of convenience" ... sure, it's part of that Double Standards thing.

A properly motivated statey won't give a flying flip about convenience when he yanks the OP out of his seat. And God forbid he so much as puts a scratch in something. Gman better learn to CHA.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You are ONLY allowed to go over 14, to a max of 16, for a weather condition that was NOT known at the time of dispatch.

If you didn't have unexpected weather then you violated.

Irregardless as stated above YOU are the one responsible for your hours.

Travel time doesn't count towards the 14/16 hour day. Found this out two weeks ago when I worked 18.75 hours in one day. Another driver that same day worked 23 hours.

Travel time doesn't count towards the 14/16 hour day. Found this out two weeks ago when I worked 18.75 hours in one day. Another driver that same day worked 23 hours.

Travel time? You mean to and from work? Because everything done on the clock does count.

bluehdmc

If you went 14.25 hrs punch to punch did your arrive on property before the 14hr mark?

In other words if that extra 15min was spent on property cleaning out your truck, whatever, you were NOT in violation as you weren't operating a CMV on public roads.

I went over 14hrs today, I hit the gate under 14, brokedown my set, fueled, cleaned out the tractor, then spent an extra 15 min because the IVIS wouldn't let me log out of the tractor. By the time I was able to log off the tractor, go to dispatch and punch out I had a 14hr 55 min day. (13hr 55 min paid). I do not expect to get a letter over that.

I'd definetly fight the letter. I'd probably tell them in the meeting with the steward present that, I would also tell them if it were to happen again I would pull the truck over, send them a message to come get me, even if I was only 1/4 mile from the building. (No cell phone calls because they don't pay my cell phone bill.)

I've gotten letters for DOT violations where I screwed up, I admitted it, recieved the letter, wiped my butt with it and moved on. If they gave me a letter for BS though that's a tottally different story.

trickpony1

I think "travel time" means when they (management)drove another vehicle to where he parked his feeder and he rode back to the hub with them.
Another driver drove his feeder back to the hub.
BTDT.

Last edited:
Read the above posts. All I can say is at least here, 705 in Chicago , 14 punch to punch means you had better have been at the time clock punching out at 13.59 hrs. No " on property", etc.

its how it's interpreted here. If other areas are interpreting it different I don't know what to tell ya. However UPS policy does not supersede DOT policy. Best bet is contact your local DOT office. If your UPS team is doing it wrong the DOT won't care when they come down on the driver that should know better.

Dracula

It's not that tough to understand once you've gone it. Once a week--with UPS's permission--you can go over 14 hours, up to 16, but no more than 11 hours of actual driving. On my long day, I shut it down at 14 hours at a truck stop, went on other work, and waited on UPS to bring another driver to come get me. One of the on-road sups put a flash drive in the IVIS and got all of my info out of it so he could get the other driver in the IVIS. Getting your drive time is easy in the IVIS. Just go to DOT log and it pops up how many hours you've driven. Package car, I don't know how to get them.

It's not that tough to understand once you've gone it. Once a week--with UPS's permission--you can go over 14 hours, up to 16, but no more than 11 hours of actual driving. On my long day, I shut it down at 14 hours at a truck stop, went on other work, and waited on UPS to bring another driver to come get me. One of the on-road sups put a flash drive in the IVIS and got all of my info out of it so he could get the other driver in the IVIS. Getting your drive time is easy in the IVIS. Just go to DOT log and it pops up how many hours you've driven. Package car, I don't know how to get them.

Maybe our management team wants to avoid that problem in its entirety. Barring the previously mentioned weather exception we are instructed to never violate the 14 hr rule. That being said 705 is considered a short run local, never more than 50 miles out one way for the most part. Our brethren ,local 710, are the long run group and probably more inclined to experience the HOS problems like you have.

Dracula

Well, generally, they won't let us go over 14. I'm sure they get their asses chewed out when it happens, especially when it isn't weather-related. But I would NEVER go over 14 without making sure management is the one making the decision. Do it on your own, and you better bet they're going to hang you out to dry. I wore out the phone lines that day just making sure, then double checking what they wanted me to do.

AKCoverMan

One day I also hit the gate two minutes shy of 14 hours duty time. By the time I dropped exceptions with the clerk, DVIRed, and completed check in I was 8 mins over.

Next morning on car comes up and says it's a big deal. I told him I didn't think it was because I was not driving after 14 hours. I also told him that if someone made an 8 minute error on my time card I would not notice. I assume that's what happened because I did not hear from anyone again about a violation. I don't really know if my time was shorted or not, I never really checked.

I was once over 60 hours because of a breakdown, I cushioned back with the tow truck and ended up with almost 62 hours that week. But I coded the last three-ish hours as breakdown-road time. I was not in violation becuase I was not driving.

I think the issue with the 8 mins over was simply that it threw up a red flag up the food chain on some report if I was over 14 and my center would have to jump thru hoops to show why it was not an issue. Therefore it became an issue anyway.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
One day I also hit the gate two minutes shy of 14 hours duty time. By the time I dropped exceptions with the clerk, DVIRed, and completed check in I was 8 mins over.

Next morning on car comes up and says it's a big deal. I told him I didn't think it was because I was not driving after 14 hours. I also told him that if someone made an 8 minute error on my time card I would not notice. I assume that's what happened because I did not hear from anyone again about a violation. I don't really know if my time was shorted or not, I never really checked.

I was once over 60 hours because of a breakdown, I cushioned back with the tow truck and ended up with almost 62 hours that week. But I coded the last three-ish hours as breakdown-road time. I was not in violation becuase I was not driving.

I think the issue with the 8 mins over was simply that it threw up a red flag up the food chain on some report if I was over 14 and my center would have to jump thru hoops to show why it was not an issue. Therefore it became an issue anyway.

You can spend all the time you want in the yard after either Return to Building (pkg) or TA (feeder), you just can't go on road. I used to have a run where I would regularly get 62 hours a week using the last two in a shifter, and most of our Vegas turns get over 14 per day with the balance in the yard. Just don't screw up and punch in prior to 10 hours off.

happybob

Feeders
Same rules apply to both jobs.

FMCSA-DOT

Just wondering, if this driver is within a 100 air mile radius if he/she still has an issue. (e) Short-haul operations—(1) 100 air-mile radius driver. A driver is exempt from the requirements of § 395.8 if: (i) The driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius of the normal work reporting location;

A

anonymous6

14 hours, 14 hours! Thats going above and beyond and the thanks you get is a warning letter? WTF is wrong with this company!? 14 hours on Christmas eve!

Mommy where is daddy? Son, you don't have a daddy, big brown made him their bitch!!

Let me guess, you got back to the building and not a Sup had been there since 3pm? And what is this crap about "cleared" for 14 hours? How is it you were "cleared" for 14 hours and not "FORCED" to 14 hours? I am sorry but at some point the work load becomes excessive, you were put in unreasonable danger. Unless you have been working 13 hours everyday for the past 1/2 year and have built up the stamina you are FATIGUED! DOT hours are there to protect us, our families and the public. Not something a center manager gets to hide behind. UPS has not had 1 package come through its system in the past decade that is worth life or limb. Greive it and if any driver in your center punched out under 12 file again and again. If you let yourself be pushed around now the next 5 weeks are going to be hell!!

people need to read the dot regulations. legally you could put yourself out of service. let's say you got sick after 8 or 10 hrs and did not feel well enough to drive. you call your hub and tell them you cannot continue because you feel unsafe to continue. you are covered by dot regs.

same is true if you are too fatigued to continue. you may have felt great at the start of day but later on if you were too tired you could pull over and have them pick you up or better yet give them a call and heads up before it is too late, you are covered by dot regs.

i have never used this provision in all my years mainly because I know my body. I have called in sick several times during each winter ( usually after 2-3 bad snow days ) and told them I needed more rest. they usually give me an argument but I don't give in.

too many people depend on me to become a dead hero. ( or worse hurt or kill someone else )

A

anonymous6

but it does count towards your 60.

A

anonymous6

Travel time? You mean to and from work? Because everything done on the clock does count.

Dracula is talking about paid travel time when you run out of hrs and have to be picked up. I waited 7hrs to be picked up before. 23 hr day.

I told them next time I would hitch hike back to yard and they said I would be fired for leaving co. property.

A

anonymous6

Read the above posts. All I can say is at least here, 705 in Chicago , 14 punch to punch means you had better have been at the time clock punching out at 13.59 hrs. No " on property", etc.

its how it's interpreted here. If other areas are interpreting it different I don't know what to tell ya. However UPS policy does not supersede DOT policy. Best bet is contact your local DOT office. If your UPS team is doing it wrong the DOT won't care when they come down on the driver that should know better.

you are exactly right. it has been said many times here. it is the DRIVERS responsibilty to know the DOT HOS rules.

I have stopped at the scales and spoken to dot people there to clarify rules. they gave me a print out of the rule in question and I made copies of it. i kept a copy and gave one to my supervisor.

it is easy to be confused by these rules. even ( non DOT )law enforcement get confused on these rules so don't be surprised that UPS bosses get confused also.

it's government at its best. so what can you expect?

just learn them and DON"T violate even if a boss tries to make you. It is your CDL on the line not the bosses. If you are in violation and get in an accident and hurt or kill someone, then it is YOUR ASS!

The co. will be fined big time and you will face criminal charges also, lose your job and also be civilibly liable too. they will take everything away from you and put you in jail.

you think i am joking? it happens everyday in the commercial driver world.