Air exception work versus part time air bid work

PizzaToUps

Does you know what is classified as air exception work versus part time air bid work? I took a 22.3 air/inside job about two years ago. Before that, I was labeled as an air exception driver as we did not have part time air routes. Most air drivers would shuttle air to the airport when the full time air driver was on vacation.

With that said, all air exception drivers were scheduled every single Saturday. Would being scheduled to work every Saturday be considered part time air bid work? The reason why I ask this is because article 40 is written terribly. It states that part time air drivers keep their air pay when obtaining a full time air driving job whereas exception air drivers don’t because their “current pay rate” is their inside rate and not their outside rate.

The company is stating that I was an exception air driver so even though I went through a 2 year air progression before this current contract, they put me back down to $17 an hour and want me to go through another 4 year full time air progression. I dug around the contract and the sections I circled make it seem like I was actually a part time air driver and not an exception air driver as I was Scheduled to work every single Saturday for air. That should be considered a part time air bid right ? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• F45CABEE-A9F7-4EEA-B95F-2DBCF62858BD.jpeg
    F45CABEE-A9F7-4EEA-B95F-2DBCF62858BD.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 109
  • B70277F1-973B-43AE-81AD-8AB8CA12568D.jpeg
    B70277F1-973B-43AE-81AD-8AB8CA12568D.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 769C98CB-54BC-45F5-9DEC-B72B1CAED1DF.jpeg
    769C98CB-54BC-45F5-9DEC-B72B1CAED1DF.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 122

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was an inside P/T ( Twilight ) who was the first in my building to be an Air Exception Driver, 1986.
Starting rate $10/hr. with ten cents /mile when I had to use my own vehicle.
Only once did I get a raise, $1.16/hr. until I took a combo job in 1999.

At first my job as to deliver inbound error NDA, wherever possible.
Sometimes missed pick-ups that could be still delivered locally or more.
My longest one day trip was 283 miles.
Or to drive to the airport for Line Flights; NDA that missed our planes and were shipped via the next commercial plane going out.
I lived closer to the airport then the building, so this is when at first I used my vehicle. Later on I was using my vehicle every time I when out. Until the company bought some Ford Vans for air drivers, with two way radios.
I was hired under Art.40. And yes the language is vague.
I believe it was done intentionally, since this was the first attempt at this concept.
{ Honestly, I was the only person who took the position in a building with 4 centers. I had to go around looking for others to be air drivers to take some of the work away from me. In two years , I only found one }

Saturday work is required , along with the day after Thanksgiving at normal pay.
Where as everyone else working that day get OT rate.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Does you know what is classified as air exception work versus part time air bid work? I took a 22.3 air/inside job about two years ago. Before that, I was labeled as an air exception driver as we did not have part time air routes. Most air drivers would shuttle air to the airport when the full time air driver was on vacation.

With that said, all air exception drivers were scheduled every single Saturday. Would being scheduled to work every Saturday be considered part time air bid work? The reason why I ask this is because article 40 is written terribly. It states that part time air drivers keep their air pay when obtaining a full time air driving job whereas exception air drivers don’t because their “current pay rate” is their inside rate and not their outside rate.

The company is stating that I was an exception air driver so even though I went through a 2 year air progression before this current contract, they put me back down to $17 an hour and want me to go through another 4 year full time air progression. I dug around the contract and the sections I circled make it seem like I was actually a part time air driver and not an exception air driver as I was Scheduled to work every single Saturday for air. That should be considered a part time air bid right ? Any help would be appreciated
When you first started with the company what was your job? Until you took the 22.3 did you still do that job on occasion? That you know of, does your area have part time bids? If so, has the company ever put up any bids for part time air drivers?

The issue you are running into is common amongst part timers in my local that were exception drivers prior to the current contract. I know of a few people that couldn’t afford to go full time due to the pay cut. Unfortunately most stayed part time and now hundreds of 22.4’s are ahead of them. The weird thing is management is still using them as exception air drivers. Many of them are working well over 40 hours a week and the majority of the time they work isn’t on the part time shift that they started on.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

I've always been under the impression that unless you bid a position that was PT air or FT air that had it's own run. You were a exception air driver. So if your paycheck still has your package handler pay rate at the top and not an air rate then you're an expection air driver.

Commercial Inside Release

Pay rates on pay stubs aren't really conclusive proof of classification. In the previous upsers.com
, There was an HR area (and there still is, called MyHR) which would list your classification. It would say "Bid Air Driver" or "Preloader" etc. But, since you left that classification a couple years ago, it won't show now.

However, if you go to the HR site that you filled out your online paperwork and applications, you can see a history of classifications you have had over the years. IF you can get in... Most people forget their login and/or lose their email address as the years go by after being hired. If that is the case, you could try begging HR to let you back in, something that would have been much easier before they outsourced the HR dept.

UPS Careers: Profile Assistant

(Oh yeah, really, really helping... And you'll NEVER BE AN RPCD!)

If you get in, it will have all your info, all your classification dates & a little green "thumbs up" icon next to all the different jobs you had at UPS.

Last edited:

Which makes me wonder if you get a red thumbs down when you are fired. The thumbs up icon is really memorable, and an HR rep probably will know what you are asking if you mention it.

opie

I believe if you already completed your air progression, you do not have to complete it again regardless if PT or FT. We had a PTer who was a preloader and drove Saturday air. He kept his air rate, and was bumped to the FT air rate after 2 years. His inside rate was based on years of seniority. Sounds like something you may want to file a grievance for, but why after 2 years?