DOT lunch break Taking 30 minutes in the first 8 hours.

barnyard

KTM rider
We had a few that always took their lunch at the end of the day. The short-lived mandate got a few of them in the habit and now they always take their lunch on route. I think it is a good habit to be in.

My bro in law is USPS. If they are in an accident after their mandated break time, but have not taken a break, they are automatically 'at fault.'

The DOT mandated lunch issue was decided in the US Court of Appeals in DC on Aug 2, 2013 case number 12-1092.

It was argued in March of 2013 by the American Truckers Association and the August decision removed the infraction for us package car drivers thus removing the fine to the driver and the company.

Taking the 30 min off duty time between the third and sixth hour would make it a non-issue anyway. There are too many of us in our region breaking that contract language rule.

What I'm saying is if you take your lunch break between the 4th and 6th hour, and it causes you to miss a pickup, it is the companies responsibility to cover it, not yours.

oldngray

nowhere special
What I'm saying is if you take your lunch break between the 4th and 6th hour, and it causes you to miss a pickup, it is the companies responsibility to cover it, not yours.

I agree. I would make the extra effort to take care of customers but if UPS put me in the position where I HAD to skip lunch to make service I would stop, take lunch, and let UPS figure it out. As long as you continue to make service by skipping lunch nothing will change. Its only after stops start getting missed and show up on a report that it will even be noticed no matter how much you had complained before hand.

I agree. I would make the extra effort to take care of customers but if UPS put me in the position where I HAD to skip lunch to make service I would stop, take lunch, and let UPS figure it out. As long as you continue to make service by skipping lunch nothing will change. Its only after stops start getting missed and show up on a report that it will even be noticed no matter how much you had complained before hand.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you are not allowed to skip lunch in your center there will still be 30 minutes unpaid during your day, so taking lunch late is so you get paid for all of the time you actually worked. I did it at times but when UPS started cracking down and tracking every second of your day I made sure I took lunch when I was supposed to.