DOT physical

H

Hamtastic

Does anyone know if a drug test is a part of the DOT physical. I've heard several different answers.

It is not and to my knowledge never has been.

That doesn't mean you won't be required to pass one as a condition of employment for driving and doesn't mean you won't be required to take one if you are suspected of being impaired.

But for regular every-two-years DOT physical there is no drug test.

wily_old_vet

Agree with unregistered. If God forbid you are in a major accident they have the right to have you tested but other than that no drug tests.

spidey

wily_old_vet said:
Agree with unregistered. If God forbid you are in a major accident they have the right to have you tested but other than that no drug tests.

They can also test for cause if there are signs pointing to impairment. I highly recommend you not be doing anything that would show up on a drug test if you drive for a living. This is common sense, no?

H

Hamtastic

This is a Air Driver job that just came open. So it will be a starting out thing. This physical thing just kinda caught me by surprise.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
dino said:
FYI on DOT physical: if you snore, do not admit so on the questionaire.

Dino makes a good point. I used to have Sleep Apnea, a sleep disorder indicated by heavy snoring. After having the surgery to correct this, which is having your tonsils and adnoids removed, it was still an issue if you write it down in your paperwork. I had to get a letter from my doctor proving it was done, even though the DOT Physical doctor could look down my throat and tell. Also, make sure the doctor completely goes through the booklet that UPS gives you and fills out everything including the correct dates on the DOT Card. Last year I had to make three trips to the Clinic because of stupid mistakes they made. I have got to go back in a couple of weeks for my yearly.:ohmy:

tieguy

Banned
you are required to get a drug test for Feeders before you attend feeder school. You are then subject to random drug testing while qualified to work feeders.

InTheRed

I believe the only drug test you would take is prior to feeders as tieguy mentioned. And they DO test feeder drivers randomly. However, you COULD be tested for drugs/alcohol if you were to report to work under the influence...that's all management discretion. However, you have to exhibit enough qualities of being under the influence of something and multiple management personell would have to agree to have you tested for "fitness for duty."

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree with 9.5 We have had more than one driver leave because of a drug problem, even after being through treatment and allowed back, they failed.

As a delivery driver, the answer is no, they do not drug test. Yes they do test feeder drivers before and after they make it into feeders. Something they need to start doing for delivery I think.

If you are ever in a serious accident, be prepared to have your anal exam.

d

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
The only thing different than a normal physical for me was a diabete's pee test? And a hearing test, but then they weren't sure if I was supposed to take the hearing test or not.. LOL. I could care less about a drug test, I'll pee in a cup all day and night if they want... they aren't going to get anything from me.

Good idea mentioned by another... don't do drugs? seems simple.

trickpony1

It's my understanding that the size of the vehicle you drive determines if you are in the "pool" to be tested. I heard a story of a package driver that bid on a route that used a "buff" car. He tested positive and had to go to rehab. He wasn't tested when he was in a regular package car.

Perhaps the company should subject management to "random" drug testing. I've known some management people who acted like they were hopped up on something.
Does the " if you aren't using drugs you don't have anything to worry about" philosophy apply to management also?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick, rule of thumb is that if you need a CDL, you are in the pool, if not, no testing at random.

I would imagine that if drug use was suspected in management, they could also be tested. But with some of the creatures we have in management, how would you ever know?

d