DOT physical

Trucker Clock

Wrong
If you’re concerned about this you need to check the registration in the pouch on the bulkhead and see what the GVWR is.
P-600s are registered for more than 10,000 Lbs

Not all. Just looked at one. 9200.

It depends on when they were made. Old P-1000's were only about 8500 pounds but over 10,000 now.

Correct. And it may also depend on the manufacturer. But @burrheadd has a good point. If you do not have a Medical Card, you better check the GVWR before you drive a different package car.

My whole point was that you're limited to a 400 to 600 cu. ft. package car without a Medical Card.

Johney

Not all. Just looked at one. 9200.

Correct. And it may also depend on the manufacturer. But @burrheadd has a good point. If you do not have a Medical Card, you better check the GVWR before you drive a different package car.

My whole point was that you're limited to a 400 to 600 cu. ft. package car without a Medical Card.
I haven’t known one person who drives at UPS that doesn’t have a medical card so it shouldn’t matter what package car they drive.

Trucker Clock

I haven’t known one person who drives at UPS that doesn’t have a medical card so it shouldn’t matter what package car they drive.

It’s may be possible to get an ADA accommodation if you can’t get a Medical Card,

The whole issue behind this is that if the DOT won’t give you a Medical Card, due to a disqualifying condition, to drive anything over 10,000 lbs, why would UPS allow you to drive a 9500 lb vehicle?

Just because it is not classified as a CMV? I could see the lawsuits coming if something were to happen.

Lawyer to UPS. “Your driver was unfit to drive a 10,000 lb vehicle but you let him drive a 9800 lb vehicle and he injured my client.

Johney

It’s may be possible to get an ADA accommodation if you can’t get a Medical Card,

The whole issue behind this is that if the DOT won’t give you a Medical Card, due to a disqualifying condition, to drive anything over 10,000 lbs, why would UPS allow you to drive a 9500 lb vehicle?

Just because it is not classified as a CMV? I could see the lawsuits coming if something were to happen.

Lawyer to UPS. “Your driver was unfit to drive a 10,000 lb vehicle but you let him drive a 9800 lb vehicle and he injured my client.
I’m just saying I’ve never heard of anyone driving and not having a card at least a 30 day card.
As far as far as lawsuits at least here I doubt they worry about that. There has been at least a half dozen times as a RPCD that I had to go take work from a driver who was told by a sup his license got suspended for lack of child support payments, yet they have said person drive 45 minutes back to the building.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There were at least two diabetics in package at my old building, they could only drive country routes that fit in a sprinter van or one of those little 300s that we use to have.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There were at least two diabetics in package at my old building, they could only drive country routes that fit in a sprinter van or one of those little 300s that we use to have.
How’d that work any job here that is in for 30 days has to be bid

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
How’d that work any job here that is in for 30 days has to be bid
They were both already driving when they got diagnosed. We bid routes every year and they had enough seniority to keep them, plus everyone knew what they were dealing with and no one over them was heartless enough to bump them.

Johney

They were both already driving when they got diagnosed. We bid routes every year and they had enough seniority to keep them, plus everyone knew what they were dealing with and no one over them was heartless enough to bump them.
You have some kind souls where you’re at. They would be bumped in a heartbeat here.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You have some kind souls where you’re at. They would be bumped in a heartbeat here.
Eh, maybe. They weren't the most senior drivers but they were in the top half, at that level most drivers are on the route they want and tend to stay put at bid time anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had life time bids. Unless someone retired, quit or was fired permanently your route was yours for as long as you wanted it. I had the same route for 25 of my 30 years.

Johney

We had life time bids. Unless someone retired, quit or was fired permanently your route was yours for as long as you wanted it. I had the same route for 25 of my 30 years.
We bid every 2 years here in package and every year in feeders. The thing would be that if they created a job for someone it would be bid and someone else would take it if they had seniority over the person it was created for…No question.

nWo

Oh :censored2:. So if I get diabetes I can have a cake route? Off to buy some more Mountain Dew then.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We bid every 2 years here in package and every year in feeders. The thing would be that if they created a job for someone it would be bid and someone else would take it if they had seniority over the person it was created for…No question.
The company didn't create routes for these guys, they were existing routes.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ok gotcha that does make a difference
The company wasn't looking to accommodate these guys at all, they didn't like sending a route out in a sprinter and tried to screw both of them in various ways. A fair number of grievances got filed over it. One guy eventually took a disability pension, the other guy took a 22.3 job when those became available and rode that out til retirement.