dow 27000

El Correcto

god is dead
Tariffs today have no relevance to tariffs 200+ years ago.

Get a grip.

Trump is a Man-child trying so hard to be relevant.

Remember when he said he’d be the LGBTQ’s best champion?

Nonsense.
Why do countries get mad when we raise tariffs, do they not have high tariffs on us?

newfie

You do realize that tariff's are not considered a "conservative" principal ...don't you? You like to throw the liberal term around....what exactly makes you a conservative?

they are when the other country imposes tariffs and blocks our attempt at a free market

turq

Why do countries get mad when we raise tariffs, do they not have high tariffs on us?

China has always had issue with fair trade. Trying to make them comply is not a bad thing at all. Making us... US Citizens and companies pay the tariffs, while simultaneously screwing over the stock market and jeopardizing the whole worlds economy is really dumb. It's always about Trump and his ego

newfie

Like I thought you didn't. You probably think Trump is a conservative evangelical too lol. Conservatives are all about free trade....but there are so many fake conservatives out there now a days... too busy kissing the the ex-democrat Trump's ass.

when we don't have free trade then we impose tariffs. liberals on the other hand spread their butt cheeks more

newfie

China has always had issue with fair trade. Trying to make them comply is not a bad thing at all. Making us... US Citizens and companies pay the tariffs, while simultaneously screwing over the stock market and jeopardizing the whole worlds economy is really dumb. It's always about Trump and his ego

everyone says tariffs are not the answer but no one else has come up with a better answer. at least nothing that has worked.

newfie

where is the relationship between tariffs and trumps ego? answer if you have the ability or remain silent if you don't

El Correcto

god is dead
Why don’t we get angry at them when they raise tariffs?
thats a neat trump rant but doesn’t answer the question.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
HTF would anyone know? We’ve always avoided them until “Smartest Guy in the Room” showed up.
That's exactly why the US - China frictional relationship exists.
The previous Presidents and Congresses were a bunch of short-sighted nitwits for letting it get this much out of balance.
Even the majority DimWit Congressmen and Senators agree with Trump on his approach towards trade with China ...
or Gina as Trump pronounces it.

bbsam

Staff member
The previous Presidents and Congresses were a bunch of short-sighted nitwits for letting it get this much out of balance.
Even the majority DimWit Congressmen and Senators agree with Trump on his approach towards trade with China ...
No they don’t.

Box Ox

I think if we're gonna give trying to even things out with China a go, it might as well be during a strong economic period in the US.

What I wonder is whether it's actually worth it or not to try to resist China in the first place, given their system of economic control and governance. How much time is it buying us? We're probably not going to destabilize them. Is it an act of futility for us to be doing this in the first place? I don't know enough to judge either way.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I think if we're gonna give trying to even things out with China a go, it might as well be during a strong economic period in the US.

What I wonder is whether it's actually worth it or not to try to resist China in the first place, given their system of economic control and governance. How much time is it buying us? We're probably not going to destabilize them. Is it an act of futility for us to be doing this in the first place? I don't know enough to judge either way.
I don't think, or hope, this is a move to destabilize China.
Keep in mind who is doing this ... Trump.
He is looking for a win-win agreement and to level the playing field.
China is not the 2nd world country it was when they entered into the WTO.

Just my take ... who the hell knows with Bolton and Pompeo.

newfie

we not trying to destabilize China. the timing is good.

if china sells a billion dollars worth of goods to us and we sell 600 million to them as the trade imbalance shows then the impact of a trade war is proportionally greater on them then us.

couple that assessment with the fact our GDP is about three times that of china and we have leverage in a trade war now, that we would lose if we allow china to grow unchecked.

We've given this subject lip service too long because no previous president wanted to impose the hardships of a trade war.

one of two things will happen either we get a trade agreement or we all learn to live with 25 percent tariffs.
if we end up with the tariffs it actually makes American companies more competitive

market forces will adapt to either scenario , it always does.

bacha29

But your monarch president says that he like the tariffs being imposed by the US government and the dollars it brings into the Treasury. Easy enough to understand given the exploding deficit made worse by his big tax giveaway. The incoming tariff dollars do help.

newfie

But your monarch president says that he like the tariffs being imposed by the US government and the dollars it brings into the Treasury. Easy enough to understand given the exploding deficit made worse by his big tax giveaway. The incoming tariff dollars do help.

and they help American companies which makes us much stronger. one reason we lost manufacturing jobs was because it was cheaper to operate in a foreign country. so they make it in china and fly it in here.

what happens if the tariffs stay? do companies move some manufacturing back here to avoid the 25 percent or more hit . I think the answer Is obvious.

I think its why Trump says he's not worried about Tariffs . he wins either way .
I'm surprised someone else has not figured this out before Trump.

bacha29

and they help American companies which makes us much stronger. one reason we lost manufacturing jobs was because it was cheaper to operate in a foreign country. so they make it in china and fly it in here.

what happens if the tariffs stay? do companies move some manufacturing back here to avoid the 25 percent or more hit . I think the answer Is obvious.

I think its why Trump says he's not worried about Tariffs . he wins either way .
I'm surprised someone else has not figured this out before Trump.
They'll simply move to Vietnam and Africa which according to reports is where some have moved ahead of the trade war.

bacha29

We've seen a reassurgance of the steel industry and manufacturing since the first round of tarrifs
You think so Bud? Then how come the stocks of US Steel and NuCor are at 52 week lows and you never hear anybody talking much about a Dow at 27,000?