Driver “On Call” on call list is this a thing everywhere?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Do not play this game. Show up and demand your right to work. If no work, file unemployment. They will find you a route. They know who to target. In my center we have plenty of alcoholics, pill poppers, drug addicts, broke ass dudes, lazy, useless drivers who never want to work. They always have a reason why not working and being broke is better than working. They drive piece of crap cars and don’t even make the hours for health care or pension. Really sad. Some guys, grown men mind you, go home and play video games all day and stay in their browns. Late afternoon they will leave the pad and go out somewhere and then come home like they worked after their wife gets home. I know 1 driver that would park his car elsewhere and walk home and go through the back door so not even neighbors would know he was home. Some folks reading this will not believe it but it is the truth. We have some of the most sorry grown men ever working in local 639. They stand around and cry about it when they can’t get a day off.

You sound a little envious.

A.Spooner

I have no issue getting work, trust me I wish they offered me days off every now and then. My issue is management always tries to screw over the younger drivers. I hear so much crap from the younger drivers that I have to tell them it’s BS. Management was telling drivers they needed to work for 5 years before they were allowed to put in 8 hour request. I’ve heard them tell younger drivers there’s no short term disability or FMLA until you reach top rate. The stuff management come up with is crazy and the younger guys don’t know any better, or won’t speak up so they buy it. I just try to help them because I went through the same stuff when I was a rookie. I used to just show up for work and never did the on call stuff and was always given work. I was just curious like I said as to the other side of the coin as to what would happen if those younger drivers that were “on call” just didn’t call in or want to work. Because some of the new guys only want a couple days a week, which to me is surprising because usually when you first start driving you try to work as much as possible(at least that’s how it is for most drivers in my building).

textat3

Envious about a bad work ethic, being lazy, broke, substance abuse, driving a crap car, having no health care or pension credit because of all of the above???... sure man

A.Spooner

Actually the drivers with jalopys have more money than the drivers that have a $80,000 pickup loan.
Yep, I agree with this point. I see so many drivers that drive crazy expensive cars and still live paycheck to paycheck. I drive a beater to work, completely debt free, and put 25 percent in my 401k. To each their own though.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Yep, I agree with this point. I see so many drivers that drive crazy expensive cars and still live paycheck to paycheck. I drive a beater to work, completely debt free, and put 25 percent in my 401k. To each their own though.
sounds like an exciting life!
🧔✊

35years

Gravy route
That's the way I did it. But only 15%. Neerly ready to retire now. I started at UPS with absolutely nothing. I will retire with an income streem of over $110,000 per year, a paid off 4 bedroom house, no debt all while raising 5 kids and my wife at home.

My kids all got huge scholarships (two got free rides) at top notch Universities because my wife was there to love and guide them. More importantly they are moral, loving people.

Never owned a new car. Didn't buy the toys. So glad I traveled the path I did.

God has so blessed me.

542thruNthru

We love you
giphy-64.gif

A.Spooner

sounds like an exciting life!
🧔✊
Sure is, paid off house, own 3 cars, kids college accounts are funded, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, and not having to worry if our pension will be there because I’ll have more than enough in my 401k. Might not be sexy to some but I’d rather live debt free then work for free by paying interest and getting nothing in return for it.

542thruNthru

In the Central Region here, we have about 90 drivers in our center. My question is this can you be forced to call in each morning to see if you’re working, from what I’ve gathered this is not normal at other centers? I thought you’re either scheduled or not. For example we start at 9:05 everyday, and according to this weeks schedule 68 drivers are scheduled to start at 9:05. The rest of the drivers it says “Call in 8:05” next to their names. So they have to call to see if they’re working. It’s just always been that way in our center. I always thought though you were either scheduled or you weren’t. So am I right that you don’t have to work unless you want to if you’re not actually scheduled? Management make the drivers at the bottom of the seniority list call in to see if they’re working or not everyday. Could you just not show up, they’ve threatened no call no show if you do this, as they’ve said well technically you’re still scheduled. If i am correct about the not having to call in crap, can you please provide any contract language that I can show to these other drivers so they don’t have to worry about calling in everyday.

I’m not talking about brand new guys or myself. I work everyday, i’m referring to guys that have been there 2-3 years and are still “on call” everyday. Sometimes they’ll tell them to come in then they’ll say they have no work for them by the time they get there. I tell them to demand their 8 hours and file if not. Just wanted to see about the other side of the coin to where if they just didn’t call in or show up since they’re not technically scheduled if they’d be charged for a no call no show.

Do you have 22.4 driver's?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Sure is, paid off house, own 3 cars, kids college accounts are funded, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, and not having to worry if our pension will be there because I’ll have more than enough in my 401k. Might not be sexy to some but I’d rather live debt free then work for free by paying interest and getting nothing in return for it.
Dave Ramsey?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
In the Central Region here, we have about 90 drivers in our center. My question is this can you be forced to call in each morning to see if you’re working, from what I’ve gathered this is not normal at other centers? I thought you’re either scheduled or not. For example we start at 9:05 everyday, and according to this weeks schedule 68 drivers are scheduled to start at 9:05. The rest of the drivers it says “Call in 8:05” next to their names. So they have to call to see if they’re working. It’s just always been that way in our center. I always thought though you were either scheduled or you weren’t. So am I right that you don’t have to work unless you want to if you’re not actually scheduled? Management make the drivers at the bottom of the seniority list call in to see if they’re working or not everyday. Could you just not show up, they’ve threatened no call no show if you do this, as they’ve said well technically you’re still scheduled. If i am correct about the not having to call in crap, can you please provide any contract language that I can show to these other drivers so they don’t have to worry about calling in everyday.

No on call in the central

Show up and get paid if they can’t find something for you to do they owe you 6 hours show up pay

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Envious about a bad work ethic, being lazy, broke, substance abuse, driving a crap car, having no health care or pension credit because of all of the above???... sure man

I noticed you didn't mention the staying home and playing video games all day part in that list.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I’m trying to rack up as much debt as I can before I die!
🧔✊