Driver Annual Renewal - Financial Info

Dvr Alan

Hi all, just wanted to check if anyone has more information as to why FedEx wants personal financial reports on Contractors' employees when asking for it as part of the FMSCA 391.25/.27 regulations? The FMSCA regulations DO NOT require it and I know, "FedEx isn't going to actually get it or use it"!!!! Then why did they mislead us in asking for the info under the disguise of the FMSCA renewal? I haven't read a logical response yet....and won't, because FedEx is not disclosing why its being sought! But no big deal for me, because they didn't get my authorization!

It will be fine

What do you mean banks won't lend you cash to invest in the stock market? What do you think trading on margin is? You say that you own a more valuable asset? Outside of the NADA book on your trucks there is no book on the intangible asset known as your contract. A couple of kids at the station wanted to buy out a multi route contract . I put up the down payment on the condition that they get the rest themselves. They went to the bank armed with the DP but not much else. The bank despite the DP in place would only lend based on the trucks book because it was the only tangible physical asset in play. They wouldn't lend them a dime for that so called contract. They might have had a chance with an SBA if there had been enough time to put one through but they only had a few days. Now in recent years there may have been a formal book made on XG contracts banks can loan off of but again it's an intangible asset.

This may help to explain why you see more contracts on the market with sellers requiring cash secured by the sellers personal assets. No SBA's or any other unsecured forms of borrowing.
SBA only matters to the guy getting the loan. If you're selling you don't care how the loan is financed, you just get a check.

Why did you only have a few days to buy a contract? That only makes sense if there were multiple bidders. If multiple parties want to buy something, it has real value.

There have always been a bunch of contracts up for sale, that's not new. It's an intangible assett, it's very risky, I wouldn't recommend buying in right now. That doesn't mean I couldn't sell my business for significantly more than the $0 of my own money I've put in.

It will be fine

Hi all, just wanted to check if anyone has more information as to why FedEx wants personal financial reports on Contractors' employees when asking for it as part of the FMSCA 391.25/.27 regulations? The FMSCA regulations DO NOT require it and I know, "FedEx isn't going to actually get it or use it"!!!! Then why did they mislead us in asking for the info under the disguise of the FMSCA renewal? I haven't read a logical response yet....and won't, because FedEx is not disclosing why its being sought! But no big deal for me, because they didn't get my authorization!
Hope you enjoyed your time driving, it'll be over by the end of the month.

It will be fine

Also, you dodged the real question, here and you WON'T answer it...does the FMSCA 391.25/.27 renewal require financial disclosures from drivers?????
The DOT doesn't regulate the personal financials of drivers, only their driving record. Fedex Ground as a motor carrier can impose any limitations it sees fit. I don't anticipate them limiting drivers for their personal financial status, that would drain the pool.

Dvr Alan

The DOT doesn't regulate the personal financials of drivers, only their driving record. Fedex Ground as a motor carrier can impose any limitations it sees fit. I don't anticipate them limiting drivers for their personal financial status, that would drain the pool.

You obviously haven't seen the email request, because your answer is incorrect. They used the request for the annual driver renewal as required per FMSCA 391.25/27 to obtain the financials. They did not spell out that "In addition we need additional information for our purposes?

This seems to be misleading and very, very sneaky!!?

bbsam

Staff member
You obviously haven't seen the email request, because your answer is incorrect. They used the request for the annual driver renewal as required per FMSCA 391.25/27 to obtain the financials. They did not spell out that "In addition we need additional information for our purposes?

This seems to be misleading and very, very sneaky!!?
Let’s go a different direction. Let’s go all foil hat conspiracy and have you tell us why you think they ask for it.

I personally think it’s standard form and they don’t actually get it but what do you think?

It will be fine

Let’s go a different direction. Let’s go all foil hat conspiracy and have you tell us why you think they ask for it.

I personally think it’s standard form and they don’t actually get it but what do you think?
One more, why is refusing to allow access worth losing your job?

Dvr Alan

One more, why is refusing to allow access worth losing your job?

You two are enjoyable to banter with! First of all, as "business people" you should know why I can't disclose what I feel FedEx is up to, if my driving days are soon to be over, and as far as risking my job....what "job"? My PSA was sold to the biggest and one of the least professional ISPs in the hub...never wanted to work for him! Amid concerns for my life's safety (driving his vehicles) I was already looking to leave and FedEx gave me the perfect out!!

After 9 years as a contractor and 3 as a driver...it's sad that I feel FedEx can't be trusted, and I am a very trustworthy person. Just have had enough BS and lack of respect from them, especially FOR you guys, the contractors!

Soon, I won't be around this board. Just wanted feedback on this issue and I got more than enough on both sides....thanks again!

You know...I sort of like the name "It Will Be Much Better!"

bbsam

Staff member
You two are enjoyable to banter with! First of all, as "business people" you should know why I can't disclose what I feel FedEx is up to, if my driving days are soon to be over, and as far as risking my job....what "job"? My PSA was sold to the biggest and one of the least professional ISPs in the hub...never wanted to work for him! Amid concerns for my life's safety (driving his vehicles) I was already looking to leave and FedEx gave me the perfect out!!

After 9 years as a contractor and 3 as a driver...it's sad that I feel FedEx can't be trusted, and I am a very trustworthy person. Just have had enough BS and lack of respect from them, especially FOR you guys, the contractors!

Soon, I won't be around this board. Just wanted feedback on this issue and I got more than enough on both sides....thanks again!

Lol. Nothing you have said gives a reason why you can’t say what you believe the company is up to. It’s not life threatening. It’s not job threatening (even though you’re leaving anyway so who cares?). But whatever. You’re leaving and you have a low opinion of the company. I’m staying and I have a low opinion of the company sometimes. It is what it is.

Dvr Alan

Lol. Nothing you have said gives a reason why you can’t say what you believe the company is up to. It’s not life threatening. It’s not job threatening (even though you’re leaving anyway so who cares?). But whatever. You’re leaving and you have a low opinion of the company. I’m staying and I have a low opinion of the company sometimes. It is what it is.

For you, it is what it is.....
For me, it's what it was!

I do hope things get better for you so you can more often have a positive opinion towards the company you contract with. Good luck!

It will be fine

Story does not check out. 9 years as a contractor but authorizing a credit check is the straw? Sold your PSA to a terrible contractor you didn't want to work for, but did for 3 years? After 12 years you're just figuring out FedEx can't be trusted? Don't buy any of it.

bacha29

SBA only matters to the guy getting the loan. If you're selling you don't care how the loan is financed, you just get a check.

Why did you only have a few days to buy a contract? That only makes sense if there were multiple bidders. If multiple parties want to buy something, it has real value.

There have always been a bunch of contracts up for sale, that's not new. It's an intangible assett, it's very risky, I wouldn't recommend buying in right now. That doesn't mean I couldn't sell my business for significantly more than the $0 of my own money I've put in.
Explanation: This was a case of a couple who had an only child late in life who really wasn't good for much of anything so they set him up as a contractor just to get him out of the house and be able to show their friends that he was good for something. After 7 or 8 months he lost interest in it and some how for some reason at age 28 he managed to get into the Air Force. His departure made the timeline to find somebody willing to buy it as a whole very short. . Down to a few days before it would have been broken up and distributing the routes among other contractors whether they wanted them or not,one short time female contractor bought them. Since last summer she's been trying to get out and based on what I've been told I'm the only person who has expressed an interest in them.

You see IWBF things are a different out here in Northern Appalachia, a lot different. Too many miles, too few people even fewer who are not substance abusers, very few good roads too little development. too little discretionary income. too many people on fixed incomes but know how to live on very little because they've done it all their lives.

Dvr Alan

Story does not check out. 9 years as a contractor but authorizing a credit check is the straw? Sold your PSA to a terrible contractor you didn't want to work for, but did for 3 years? After 12 years you're just figuring out FedEx can't be trusted? Don't buy any of it.

Actually I sold to the BEST contractor 3 years ago, who had to get out in October, because he couldn't survive $$. I stayed several months only because I am not the kind of person that would leave during peak/winter(bad time to train new drivers, right?)

I stayed "in" because I truly love the customers and I was still my own boss, because I was one of the best drivers in the hub. My bosses gave me the work (and more if they needed my help) and I busted my ass for them!

And no, I never trusted them, even as a contractor and that IS WHY when I sold I made enough money to stay on as a driver for a couple of years. Now, the times up.

Believe it or not? Don't care.

Like I said, you guys and others on this thread have provided me enough back and forth for me and others to make up our own minds as to what's true!

Much appreciated!