Driver assist?

Hangingon

When did they take Driver Assist off the options for other work? We have been told lately to stop calling in for help and find help at the stop location, but I was surprised they took it so far as to remove it from the board.
While I'm on the subject of new and different, we are having drivers receive warning letters for not using their cell phone to make the 2:00 cut off for reporting their final ETA. center manager is saying failure to follow instructions since we have been told to call in and talk to him by 2 (we had another warning letter issued when the driver talked to his sup, and not the center manager). I was just wondering if everyone was getting all these spurious warning letters also.

jerrymo91

Driver Assist was still in my board as of yesterday, I'll check tomorrow. They used to make us call in by 2:00, but that ended a couple of years ago. We are a small Center in the midwest.

old levi's

blank space
I don't know why they want your ETA anyway. They aren't going to send you any help. Dump your air and get in when you get in. Put a good dispatch on the car and you won't have to ask for the ETA. You will already know.

705red

Browncafe Steward
When did they take Driver Assist off the options for other work? We have been told lately to stop calling in for help and find help at the stop location, but I was surprised they took it so far as to remove it from the board.
While I'm on the subject of new and different, we are having drivers receive warning letters for not using their cell phone to make the 2:00 cut off for reporting their final ETA. center manager is saying failure to follow instructions since we have been told to call in and talk to him by 2 (we had another warning letter issued when the driver talked to his sup, and not the center manager). I was just wondering if everyone was getting all these spurious warning letters also.
They cant force you to use your cell phone, but if they say call in by 2 call in at the last place that has a phone. I love it when i get pulled in the office for working over my ets, i just say it was ESTIMATED not carved in stone. Make sure you file a rebutal for those warning letters or even better file a harassment grievance, in my neck of the woods its article 37, management employee relations.

Overpaid Union Thug

Many centers are now sending "Are you gong to be over 9.5" messages around 3:30. The OMS's have made a habbit of it. I know they are doing it in some of the southern hubs/centers.

Griff

I don't know why they want your ETA anyway. They aren't going to send you any help. Dump your air and get in when you get in. Put a good dispatch on the car and you won't have to ask for the ETA. You will already know.

This is what really ticks me off. They want us to message in all this information throughout the day but nothing ever comes of it. I already posted about messaging in the full info for 9 seperate misloads, noone responded back and I brought them all back to the building. It's no surprise most drivers just big arrow up through all the completely useless crap they send you everyday all day.

Also, aren't we guarenteed union help with over 75lbs according to the contract? I haven't read this with my own eyes, but have heard it many times from others. It's ridiculous that they want you to solicit help at the stop, I'd be having words with the center manager when I got back, oh wait he's already home and in bed.

Last edited:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Many centers are now sending "Are you gong to be over 9.5" messages around 3:30. The OMS's have made a habbit of it. I know they are doing it in some of the southern hubs/centers.

When I was a helper, I think that message came around 1:30 or 2 and it was "are you going to be over 11 hours?" Did nothing but make my driver scowl. He'd mutter under his breath, click through the DIAD and call the center with the information they wanted. We never got help, even if we needed it. -Rocky

over9five

Staff member
You are guaranteed another man in brown to help you with that over 70.

When I send my message, it starts, "Request Teamster help with over 70...."

No Teamster help equals missed.

DS

Fenderbender
We have been told lately to stop calling in for help and find help at the stop location,

Please explain this to me,if you have say,30 businesses left
at 2:30 pm and you have to do your p/u log from 2:30 till
5:30pm,these 30 stops will be missed.What possible help
could you find at the stop location?Am I not seeing something?

705red

Browncafe Steward
He means for over 70 help! From another teamster upser.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

Yea, we get it, have for as long as i can remember. I'm not sure why, not like we get a response when we tell them what they don't want to hear.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They cant force you to use your cell phone, but if they say call in by 2 call in at the last place that has a phone. I love it when i get pulled in the office for working over my ets, i just say it was ESTIMATED not carved in stone. Make sure you file a rebutal for those warning letters or even better file a harassment grievance, in my neck of the woods its article 37, management employee relations.

Good point, 705red
UPS doesn't furnish me with my cell phone, I pay the bill. We have to send in our numbers by 2:30, the Division Manager set that time. I don't call the Center on my cell, I type it into the DIAD. That takes longer and I make more money. My ETA's are just that, ESTIMATED.

Hangingon

As far as misloads, not on area, we are now told to bring it into the office, and not to sheet them as missed. I guess what's not sheeted doesn't show up on the report the DM sees so it's all good.

brown bomber

brown bomber
So it appears that in your area drivers are "required" to have a cell-phone, in order to contact ctr. re: ETA...

Does UPS pay for your cell-phone???

Is your Ctr. Mgr. still in the office at mid-afternoon??

Hangingon

No, we are not required to have a cell phone. If, however, you call after 2:00 and he knows you have a cell phone and could have made the call on time by using it, then you are (according to him) not following instructions. Yes he is there until about 4, but makes for long hold times while you wait your turn to be yelled at. Good thing UPS payed so much to allow 2 way messaging, guess it just doesn't feel as good typing out a threat then yelling it.

helenofcalifornia

Our center told us not to key in "missed" packages in the DIAD on route anymore-just bring them in at night and give them to the clerk who writes them up so they don't come up as "missed."

tieguy

Banned

Thats a teamster excuse to miss packages. After all we are in the business of following teamster rules not making service on packages. :blushing:

old levi's

blank space
Thats a teamster excuse to miss packages. After all we are in the business of following teamster rules not making service on packages. :blushing:

And what is the UPS excuse for hiding missed pkgs. by not sheeting them as missed but just bring them to the clerk and they will take care of them. (see above) After all it's not about telling the truth.
:mad: