Driver Auditor Requirements

instiches

I am about to become a contractor and wanted to employ my brother on a part time basis to ride along with some of my drivers as an auditor. What are the requirements so they can be in the truck? Do they fall under DOT regulations and have to pass both drug and physical tests?

instiches

Thank you! Does FedEx have to approve any one in the truck who is not driving? He has a disability he uses marijuana for relief. Since his work options are limited I figure he can help me and earn some money. This is why I wanted to know about the physical and drug test requirements.

upschuck

I would think you could hire who you wish, but have no idea about their employment practices. @bbsam would be able to answer those questions.

It will be fine

He'd be a non-driver helper. I'm certain they do the background check. Almost certain they do the drug screen as well. I've only hired one helper so I don't recall. I'll ask in the morning unless someone here has a definitive answer.

instiches

He'd be a non-driver helper. I'm certain they do the background check. Almost certain they do the drug screen as well. I've only hired one helper so I don't recall. I'll ask in the morning unless someone here has a definitive answer.

I would appreciate if you could find out for me. I didn't see anything in the operating agreement about qualifying helpers.

instiches

Are you sure? If it's prescription and he's not driving I could see him getting "helper qualified".

It's not prescription. We live in a state where it's not legal but without it he has lots of difficulty living a normal pain free life. What exactly is the policy? Are contractors and AO's not allowed in the truck as non driving passengers unless they pass a DOT screen as well? I have tried to find anything in the agreement about this and I cannot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not prescription. We live in a state where it's not legal but without it he has lots of difficulty living a normal pain free life. What exactly is the policy? Are contractors and AO's not allowed in the truck unless they pass a DOT screen as well? I have tried to find anything in the agreement about this and I cannot.

I would think the only time this would be an issue is if something were to happen to the driver and the passenger had to get behind the wheel.

It will be fine

No drug test for helpers. Just background check and safety training. You may have an issue if he gets injured, but only if you try to use work comp. Just be sure he doesn't smell like weed when he shows up and he should be fine.

instiches

No drug test for helpers. Just background check and safety training. You may have an issue if he gets injured, but only if you try to use work comp. Just be sure he doesn't smell like weed when he shows up and he should be fine.

Thank you for the follow up. I am guessing this applies to me as a contractor if I am not driving as well as my AO/BC.

My brother uses low dose edibles so the smell will not be an issue at all.

rod

Retired 22 years
I thought all the contractors were independents. Why would corporate have any say over who rides with you. Oh wait--you mean you aren't independent but actually work for FedEx.

It will be fine

Randoms are only for drivers. So if you don't list yourself as a driver you won't have them. They only do them for the DOT, and FedEx pays for them so they won't do any they don't have to.

It will be fine

People that ride are limited for insurance reasons while you are providing service. The companies that cover FedEx don't want random crazy people riding in the trucks.

instiches

I found it in the operating agreement. Section 2 and 3 of Addendum 13. No mention of drug test, but you cannot be qualified if you have criminal matters related to theft, violence, dishonesty, sexual abuse/assault, use or possession of weapons, use or possession of controlled substances, or crimes against a person or property.