Driver Beware!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Geez Scratch, what did the cop say when your wife musta said "thats not what happened!"?

He talked to the other driver first, (a Mercedes), then pretty much ignored my wife's side. I got the impression he was just trying to clear the road, it was in front of a Walmart. We will just wait and see what the adjuster says before doing anything else. Damage is very minor to her Escape, 1" crack and 6 scratches on bumper paint. She was just ticked off the officer wrote it up like he did. We both know a lot of the local judges from doing community volunteer work (along side them, not wearing orange jumpsuits!), this should be laughed out of court if we go to that extreme.

I just brought this up to show the ridiculous extremes that can go along with driving down the road. Hubrat has a minor incident with a dog that runs out in the street and gets treated like it was her fault. The last time I had a dog bite, I got hounded like crazy like it was my fault the dog decides to take a taste out of my calf. It is ridiculous what happens with this company sometimes over something that is really not much of anything.

partykid

I was also charged for an accident for hitting a dog... it was deemed "unavoidable", then my on car told me is if its a public highway NO charge, if your on a driveway or personal property it Will be considerd an accident

MikeTbob

I was also charged for an accident for hitting a dog... it was deemed "unavoidable", then my on car told me is if its a public highway NO charge, if your on a driveway or personal property it Will be considerd an accident

Same thing in our Center, I have been told by my on-road sup....."if you are driving down the road and there is a dog and a mailbox in the road, hit the DOG"! The mailbox will be considered an accident.
This is so wrong on so many levels and it makes me sick to just think about it.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Last PCM was that hitting a dog was considered an accident now.

But I didn't hit the dog! It is a miniature Snowser (Sp. I know). If I had hit her with my P-1000 she'd be a spot in the road!

I deeply appreciate all of your support, encouragement, and feedback. Too bad our company can't be supportive of us - I really feel lost and alone out here sometimes. I'm torn between just chilling about the whole thing and burning off a couple of grievances. Can't wait 'til the ERI comes back around, for what that's worth.

LOL - I am shocked and amazed that I can still be shocked and amazed by Brown's actions. After all I have seen and been through with this seemingly hateful company, there is still a little Pollyanna left in me. Let them run the place into the ground, I'm doing all I can for them. They WILL reap what they sow. I won't be run into the ground with them and I won't become a bitter old woman either.

What can Brown do for itself? Learn.

Cheers!

brownman15

But I didn't hit the dog! It is a miniature Snowser (Sp. I know). If I had hit her with my P-1000 she'd be a spot in the road!

I deeply appreciate all of your support, encouragement, and feedback. Too bad our company can't be supportive of us - I really feel lost and alone out here sometimes. I'm torn between just chilling about the whole thing and burning off a couple of grievances. Can't wait 'til the ERI comes back around, for what that's worth.

LOL - I am shocked and amazed that I can still be shocked and amazed by Brown's actions. After all I have seen and been through with this seemingly hateful company, there is still a little Pollyanna left in me. Let them run the place into the ground, I'm doing all I can for them. They WILL reap what they sow. I won't be run into the ground with them and I won't become a bitter old woman either.

What can Brown do for itself? Learn.

Cheers!

file the grievances. cya

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We were told that if you hit a dog it will be considered an accident because it is someone's property but if it is a wild animal it would be an unavoidable. So any dog, chihuaha to st.bernard is now considered a coyote!

The company is free to consider it an "accident" when you fart, if it so chooses.

The company is also free to grant or withold Safe Driving awards as it sees fit. There is no contractual obligation on the part of the company to recognize safe driving or issue awards of any kind.

Hitting a dog may or may not be considered an "accident" depending upon the personal whims of whoever makes those decisions, but in terms of what really matters....the drivers job....the company will not succeed in terminating an employee for hitting an animal on a public road. Disciplinary action for such an incident would not be upheld at panel.

Our number one priority needs to be to maintain control of the vehicle and keep it on the road and in our lane. If a loose animal gets hit in the process that is unfortunate, but it is a far better outcome than wrapping the package car around a tree or swerving into the other lane of traffic and hitting a car head on.

soberups

Same thing in our Center, I have been told by my on-road sup....."if you are driving down the road and there is a dog and a mailbox in the road, hit the DOG"! The mailbox will be considered an accident.
This is so wrong on so many levels and it makes me sick to just think about it.

If I have to choose, I take out the mailbox and save the dog as long as I can do so without risking a more serious accident involving a pedestrian or another vehicle. Someone's pet is way more important than a trinket awarded for safe driving.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Since your vehicle was attacked by the dog, and not the other way around, Management invoked the policy of Blaming the Victim.

Since you were doing everything right, and even expressed your concern about the dog's wellbeing to the dog's owner, Management invoked the policy that No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

Welcome to UPS!

Truer words were never spoken

Ghost in the Darkness

I hit a dog back in February and wasn't charged with an accident. On a country road the dog ran out from the ditch on the passenger side of the road and only about 10' in front of me (its owner's house on the other side of the road). No cars were coming the other way and I took evasive action everything I could do on the road without wrecking the truck but it ran under my right rear tire. I went back to check the dog and notify the owner. It was mangled very badly and I felt terrible (I have 2 dogs of my own and I know how I'd feel if one of them were hit).
The lady obviously heard the tires screetching and probably knew before she saw it. She said it was her fault and that she should have had the dog tied up. I wish people would do their dogs a favor and get electric fencing. Anyway I told her I would get the dog off the road so she wouldn't have to do that and put the remains in a DR bag so they could bury it. I expressed my sympathies numerous times and asked if there were anything else I could do. She said no and apologized for what she said was her error in letting the dog run free. I called my Sup and notified him and asked if there was anything else I needed to do. He said no and that was that.

DS

Fenderbender
A driver in our center was stopped at a red light,and got rear ened by a garbage truck.Our center manager was on scene before the cops got there ,and when they did ,they had to tell him to get out of the way.He was given a (pending grievance) 3 DAY SUSPENSION.When he called in nobody bothered to ask if he was hurt.This driver is a christian teamster,very religious on both accounts,reads the bible,won't even look in his car till start time.It is disillusioning to say the least.It seems unfortunately that its not about saftey at all its about numbers.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
You mention your steward was present. Was it his idea that you sign the ACI report? This is going on your record, file a grievance challenging their assessment of this situation.

soberups

We have been told that any accident at an intersection is a Tier 3--that may explain the 3 day suspension.

The original poster said that the driver was suspended pending a grievance...under the innocent-until-proven-guilty language they cant actually suspend him until the grievance has been resolved and unless there are some facts we arent hearing about I cannot imagine such a suspension ever being upheld. He will probably be "charged" with an accident anyway and have his Safe Driving Award taken back, but as far as what really matters---his job---he ought to be OK.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think you should change your screen name to Red Jr, or maybe Little Red, or maybe Red Is My Idol. You should be careful that Red doesn't stop too quickly as you may end up with a broken nose.
This from the guy who doesn't want to make things personal :rolleyes: