Driver Beware!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Scratch, how did this turn out?

Other driver apparently didn't file a claim against us. My insurance company decided it was one driver's word against the other, so both drivers will pay their own repairs. My 19 year old son was in the car with my wife, but he wasn't allowed to be a witness, so there were no official eyewitnesses.

No tickets wrote and no insurance claims. Damage was very minor to my wife's 2008 Ford Escape, estimate was $384 to fix a one inch crack and touch up some paint chipping on her rear bumper cover where the Mercedes front tag hit it. I can fix this myself. My other son ran his car into a ditch a few months ago and cost $5400 to fix, so I'm not really upset over this minor accident with my wife. Its really not worth hauling someone into court over this.

I just found it unbelievable that somebody can be sitting still and get hit in the rear, and a police officer just takes the other drivers word about it. I always thought a hit in the rear accident would be obvious as to who was at fault. I don't have a lot of faith in my local police department after this.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I don't know if this is taught in any driving school, but where I live (wooded country) we learned very early - hit the animal.

Deer, coons, possum, squirrels, the occasional bear - and dogs - If it pops up in the road and you can't avoid it by simple braking, you hit it. Better to hit the deer than to swerve trying to save Bambi & killing yourself hitting a tree instead.

And yes, I love my dog (Half boxer, half maroon). But if he ran out into the road I'd rather a car hit him than have the driver swerve to save the dog & hit my kid.

MD Dan

We were recently told that the safety dept in the Washington DC metro area now considers it avoidable even if the dog is run over by your rear tires.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We were recently told that the safety dept in the Washington DC metro area now considers it avoidable even if the dog is run over by your rear tires.

I wonder if they consider it avoidable if you run over a politician in DC too.

M

Mike23

If it makes anyone feel any better I was parked at a dock, four ways on, and was backed into (the guy had to go at least 30 feet to hit me). UPS considered this an 'avoidable' accident :\ I was not in my vehicle (I was actually inside the building and heard the thud). I think UPS' #1 rule in sup training is 'blame our driver, no matter what'. I was not 'at fault' in UPS' eyes but still pissed me off they considered it 'avoidable'. I guess no one should park anymore, install giant balloons under their vehicles and make them float. Hopefully a seagull won't hit them otherwise they're screwed.