Driver Bonus Tips

A

atanman1

Want to get the most out of your job as a driver. Here are a few simple things that I encourage drivers to do to make a little extra cash while also avoiding headache:

1) OCA sales leads - If a customer calls in an OCA or OCG in your area, simply have the OMS put in a sales lead for that customer. All the information is provided, just make sure the OMS enters contact name and phone # or you will not get credit. If the customer converts to a daily pu or international shipper, you will get money. I have had 5+ drivers earn $500 from 1 of these sales leads. Its simple.. you dont even have to call the customer.

2. Instead of getting sent back out to help a driver etc... find a problem pick-up near your area (or fairly close to it) and fill your truck to the gills. You will be praised by mgmt and other drivers for volunteering to help daily in a problem area... while not having to help elsewhere and maximizing your bonus with OS boxes or a 1 stop large piece pu.

3. File grievances for your over 9.5s. This is a given. It is free money. Take advantage, you are doing the work, you might as well get paid for it. It will help add routes (eventually).

These are just a few things that may give you a little bomus while making your life and ours a little easier. Anyone else have anything to add?

P

p_d_quick

atanman1, What is your contract language re: over 9.5? We don't have anything in our agreement here in Cda to cover that yet. (next contract!)
Pd

A

atanman1

Over 9.5.. in the new contract, our hourly personnel are able to grieve any hours over 9.5 IF AND ONLY IF they are dispatched over 9.5 and are on road 9.5. For most of you, you are on the road over 9.5 anyway, why not pu some extra "easy" pieces and make more bomus, you are already out there. Take advantage of the extra money before Christmas..}

U

ups_gal_710

Hey Atanman,
Those are some great ideas on making extra bonus. I have found that I have people sign the board even at res. stops that really gives my time a boost. I try to keep my DR around 10-15 a day. If they have a pulse then they will sign for me. And if the company should ever ask me about my DR count then I will ask them back how many DR follow up's have you had with my name on them. NONE
Have a good week

A

atanman1

If you have noticed, the new sales lead incentive started Aug 11- Nov 21. Talk with your large shippers that are not shipping international packages. If you talk with them and let them know you can have a business development rep contact them with details and rates... and they start shipping international volume, you can earn up to $10,000 per customer! 1 of those and you are banking. Good luck.

E

ezrider

atanman1 your advice may have just set me free!!I won't know for a little while since as of now I'm on vacation.The office told me that the place that recieves the data is in the path of Hurricane Isabel,but it's a start.At any rate it was nice to walk out for a week on a high note.I'm glad you showed up here.

L

local804

WOW atanman1,
Thats a really good deal your center team has come up with.I am amazed your center will give you $10,000 per account.Just think, you could be a billionaire before you retire.Now that we got the dramatics out of the way, I think you should check the fine printbecause here in the Eastern District they cap you at $300.00 per account per quarter.This is not what I think, this is what I know from past experiances from other drivers that thought they were making a fortune when a big shipper came over from fedex.$900.00 was awesome for the driver(3 months volume and then no more)but he thought he was going to be rich just like you.I hope your right, cause if you are, I want to know why we are capped.
lma.gif

A

atanman1

Normally the limit is $500 per account (total reward) I think, but according to the statement I received in last months reward, "..sales leads sold between August 11 and Nov is worth doubld points toward your UPS card. During the sales lead promo for INTERNATIONAL volume, you can earn up to 10,000 points for each sold international lead."

Obviously, this is not going to happen maybe once in a blue moon.. but its whats available... and youll never be rich working here ... sorry.

T

toonertoo

I KNOW the limit is 500.00 in the NE OHIO region. The lead I gave probably only took a week for me to earn that reward, but 500 was tops for that account,and that was for a total not per months for three. They watch it for 3 months then your reward is done, If it takes 3 months, youll get whatever you earned, if it is fulfilled in a week, thats it....... zip>>>>>>> and you have to make sure you put on your lead card that it is volume we lost in the last year to another competitor. Or volume we will be gaining from another competitor. I know I could never get much of an answer from my AE people, all of a sudden about 5 mths later it was on my account with the rewards card. If you go to UPSERs.com there is a site that tells you exactly how it is paid per package. Good luck

T

tahoepickup

If I already have an account (daily pickup), how can I get my driver any of these addtional bonuses? I don't usually ship international, maybe one package a month to Canada, but am considering adding Canada to my international shipment (should be an additional 10-20 packages a month). Any tips?

T

tahoepickup

Also, does my driver get any bonus if I have considered switching to Airborne, but he has convinced me to stay with UPS?

A

atanman1

Tahoe,

Let the driver know to fill out a Sales Lead card. On it, he will have to mark "international" under the type of lead for your internationals. Once that is entered, and it is approved, he will get credit for internationals that you send.

Then, have him fill out another sales lead for NXDA, and make sure he checks the box "Is this volume we have lost in the past year?" as a yes and he will or should get credit for the other packages that are shipped.

Your driver will surely appreciate the extra $500. I hope your driver takes good care of you.

T

tahoepickup

atanman1:

Does the credit apply to previously shipped packages also or is it on packages shipped after he fills out the forms? BTW, what does NXDA stand for?

B

brown138

Remember in the old days before the AMEX card was issued. Your "points" could be used to by things in a catalog. Well I don't want to bust atanman1's bubble but its 20pts = $1.00
SO 10,000 pts = $500.00.

Sorry but keep submitting the leads.
It helps us all in the long run.

Brown

T

tahoepickup

brown:

How are the points accumulated (ie. per package, rate, etc.)? Also, does the $500 need to be accumulated within the quarter (three months)?

B

brown138

Tahoe:

You get $$ for every package
I think its a .25 for ground
.50 for air but I don't know the exact breakdown
I've seen it posted in some centers.
I believe that you get the first 3 months of
shipping and thats it. Twice I had leads that were
not sold by the sales rep I had to go back to the customer and have them call in and set it up that way. Later I went back and received points that way but you need to find the right person to credit you back. Anyway happy Sales Lead.

Brown

T

tahoepickup

brown:

Will the credit start accumulating only AFTER the sales lead is approved or do they ever do a retroactive credit?

U

ups79

i might be wrong but in the past you received 5cents for every dollar of revenue brought in. like i say correct me if iam wrong.

L

local804

Tahoe the credit will start after the sales lead only.It will be the total packages picked up for the 3 months after the sales lead only.....UPS79 there is NO residual income after the 3 months.This is the way it is in the NE region and I am 100% sure of it.

U

ups79

no i realize that you only receive payment for a limited period of time. when ups first stated the sales lead program(i forget how long ago). you would receive points. the points then could be used to but items of clothing from a publication. this was long before the spirits catalog. it was basically a brochur for purchasing such things of clothing that ups did not provide you as the "browns" or uniform the company expected you to wear. this might be work shoes, rain jacket, or yes socks to wear with your shorts. you could also buy these things with cash, check or credit card. i know then that each point was worth 5cents on the dollar. if a rain jacket costs $20.00 you then needed 400 points.