Driver Doing On Road Observations

oldngray

nowhere special
In the 27 years that I have been with UPS, I have yet to see one tangible accomplishment on the part of our "safety committee".

I've seen lots of doughnuts and posters, and I've heard lots of acronyms and buzz words, but when it comes to actually fixing safety issues they are essentially worthless.

UPS corporate policy is that the "safety committees" will not discuss or make any changes to our equipment, facilities, policies or procedures. The committees exist for one purpose, and that is to comply with an OSHA mandate. It is not expected, nor is it desired, that they will ever actually accomplish anything because accomplishments cost the company money.

"Safety committees" are an adult version of the Student Governments we used to have back in junior high school, in charge of posters and proms and deciding when Funny Hat day will be, and I'm pretty sure that most members are trying to make up for the fact that they didn't get to be Student Body Presidents or hall monitors.

Agreed. Even if you have a safety committee that does try to address real issues they are powerless. UPS will reject any changes that might cost any money to fix to increase safety. Its all about PR and OSHA compliance.

10 point

In the 27 years that I have been with UPS, I have yet to see one tangible accomplishment on the part of our "safety committee".

I've seen lots of doughnuts and posters, and I've heard lots of acronyms and buzz words, but when it comes to actually fixing safety issues they are essentially worthless.

UPS corporate policy is that the "safety committees" will not discuss or make any changes to our equipment, facilities, policies or procedures. The committees exist for one purpose, and that is to comply with an OSHA mandate. It is not expected, nor is it desired, that they will ever actually accomplish anything because accomplishments cost the company money.

"Safety committees" are an adult version of the Student Governments we used to have back in junior high school, in charge of posters and proms and deciding when Funny Hat day will be, and I'm pretty sure that most members are trying to make up for the fact that they didn't get to be Student Body Presidents or hall monitors.
I was told that exact same story. Our Safety Programs/Committees were set up to show that deterrents were in place.

10 point

Over the last several years I've taken the time to offer safety "corrections" to younger drivers when I've seen them doing the same crazy things many of us have done and all I got back was an attitude. Experience means nothing to most of these Rambos so I just let the sups deal with it and let nature take it's course.

At peak last year a new hire was unloading pkgs out of cars during the local sort and he was not using "the methods". (You can imagine what I'm saying.) The center manager and a ft sup was standing watching this go on and after I asked him to use the correct methods his attitude got cocky. Neither the center manager nor the FT sup would correct him so I learned to just walk on by.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety and work methods because they've been trained. It's not my problem or responsibility to correct hourlies and if the management isn't going to do it I sure as heck am not getting involved either as long as their unsafe work methods aren't putting me at risk.
I don't sign their checks and I'm not going to change their diapers.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My center's safety chair loves to do observations. She jumps in her car with an OMS (mgmt person) and rides up to the most common intersection. What she observes may not be able to be used against you but what the OMS sees definitely can.

An OMS is not a management person.

They are nothing more.... than a secretary.

The only way this lady can get away with this is because the drivers in this center let her get away with it.

I'd file Article 18 and 37 grievances against her, continuously, and for redress, ask for her to be removed from the safety committee, or promoted into management. If you had a large number of drivers file these grievances against her, it would force both the union, and management's hands.

Thats good advice.

Better yet.... file charges with your Local.

Watch what happens then.

-Bug-

Cementups

Box Monkey
Wow...seriously...nothing like a sup grasping at straws to hand out discipline. So...if you were driving a manaul PC that day...do they expect you to keep both hands on the wheel and shift with your d***? Lol just sayin....

When you're driving a manual the ONLY time your hands should be off the wheel is when you are shifting gears. At least that's what they tell us.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In our new National Master agreement, ALL PHYSICAL OBSERVATIONS DONE OFF PROPERTY MUST CEASE.

Page 9, article 18 NMA
"
Bargaining unit members may not perform Safety Committee

observations of fellow bargaining unit members that can be

interpreted as being a management role.
Safety Committee

observations shall only be performed to further the purposes of

that Committee as defined in this section and to promote a

safer work environment. Activities will be reviewed with the

Local Union. Under no circumstances can the results of a

Safety Committee observation be used in any level of discipline,

nor reference any individual bargaining unit member.""

ANY observation done off property is considered and interpreted as a MANAGEMENT ROLE and cannot be done.

If you see this action, you must report it to the local union and file a grievance with your center manager.

You must bring this up to the committees in your centers and point out the new language contained in the NMA 2013/2018

Anything off property is managements job, not the bargaining members. There are no excuses or exemptions.

TOS.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
O(office) M(management) S(supervisor). You're sure about that one bug?

Yep.

They are secretaries.

Ask your Local BA.

OMS is a management position.

Call it what you will.

As defined by the NLRA....

They are still secretaries.

Watch what happens if you defy a direct order from an OMS.

File a grievance.

And.... see if they show up.... Or, are involved with it.

The Bug.... would not BS you on this.

They are only "management".... if you let them.

-Bug-

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There is a fourth type of driver that does Intersection and On-Area Observations, an injured driver put on light duty and forced to "join" the Safety Committee to continue receiving a paycheck. I have been doing this the last two weeks, as I posted in another thread, I had hernia surgery today.

The intersection audits consist of writing car numbers, watching driver following distance, if they look left-right-left, count 1-2-3 at startup, leaving one car length, and in-cab distractions like cell phone use. I stood out in the open in plain sight and did mine. I gigged a supervisor who was driving a P-700 while training a new driver the other day who pulled out of the building with a rear door swinging wide open.

The On Area consists of blowing the horn to prevent dog bites, safely lifting and handling packages, safe driving skills like following distance, coming to complete stops, using 4-way flashers, making eye contact with pedestrians and other drivers at intersections, and using the horn at backs. I have to call the driver to find out where he is and drive a package car to the area to follow or ride around with him for 10-15 stops, there is nothing sneaky about it. They all score high since they know they are being watched. These audits are really pointless in my opinion, I just earned my full pay instead of going on workman's comp. $340 a day verses $105 a day workman's comp pay in my state is a no brainer. Putting the driver's name on the audit sheet is OPTIONAL.

Both of these audits are then entered into a Liberty Mutual website WITHOUT THE DRIVER'S NAME, they are just looking for numbers.

Last edited:

10 point

Yep.

They are secretaries.

Ask your Local BA.

Call it what you will.

As defined by the NLRA....

They are still secretaries.

File a grievance.

And.... see if they show up.... Or, are involved with it.

The Bug.... would not BS you on this.

They are only "management".... if you let them.

-Bug-
I'll ask. But their statements (notarized) have always been used against employees in hearings and if not notarized they're brought into the hearing to testify.

stepitup

Thank you all for your discussion....we are trying to be proactive with our grievances but this driver uses the "harassment" card any chance she can. She keeps a journal of who said what to her if she feels offended. One driver has been accused verbally with no retribution but two other drivers have been brought up on formal charges. Currently our steward is her latest victim and fellows are reluctant to get more involved. It's ugly right now. Can a grievance with multiple signatures be submitted against her on the grounds of creating a hostile work environment?

10 point

Thank yiou all for your discussion....we are trying to be proactive with our grievances but this driver uses the "harassment" card any chance she can. She keeps a journal of who said what to her if she feels offended. One driver has been accused verbally with no retribution but two other drivers have been brought up on formal charges. Currently our steward is her latest victim and fellows are reluctant to get more involved. It's ugly right now. Can a grievance with multiple signatures be submitted against her on the grounds of creating a hostile work environment?
Can't file against her but against management for allowing/harboring a hostile work environment.

Notarize all signatures and testimonies.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have discussed drivers working in notoriously bad areas, in the dark. We were told Orion would fix this. Then we were told, if you dont like it bid off. How does that help? Some poor schmuck will be where they shouldnt be in the dark.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have discussed drivers working in notoriously bad areas, in the dark. We were told Orion would fix this. Then we were told, if you dont like it bid off. How does that help? Some poor schmuck will be where they shouldnt be in the dark.
Easiest way to deal with this is to deliver the bad areas first while it is still daylight. If it means air gets delivered late, record it "X" for other. If it means businesses getting delivered after closing time, record as "missed" and bring 'em back. Repeat as necessary. Safety first.