driver dress code...hats/caps?

Gman24

We have had several PCMS on this subject over the past several years. Our center manager has said that he thinks the black caps with the UPS symbol look WAAAAY better then the brown "issued" caps, however they are not approved "DRIVER" apparal.

There are still drivers who are seen wearing the black caps every day, most of them just put them on after they get out on their routes.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have a few drivers here that wear Nascar UPS hats and not a word is said. Unless you're wearing a multi-colored hat with a propeller on top, I don't see an issue.

Gman24

We have a few drivers here that wear Nascar UPS hats and not a word is said. Unless you're wearing a multi-colored hat with a propeller on top, I don't see an issue.

It's management that has the issue. That's what matters. I used to wear one too( the black ones), until our center manager said we can't.

I suppose if any one wants to get technical, no one has been fired over it yet, but I guess there could be some management personell that might try too.

HazMatMan

It's management that has the issue. That's what matters. I used to wear one too( the black ones), until our center manager said we can't.

I suppose if any one wants to get technical, no one has been fired over it yet, but I guess there could be some management personell that might try too.

Absolutely, positively not a dischargeable offense..

Channahon

are drivers allowed to wear solid black caps?...im in a dispute with someone right now :wink:
Does "What can Brown do for you" ring a bell. UPS issues your
basic uniform at no cost to you. The hat is part of the no cost part. Do yourself a favor and don't argue the point. You're not gonna win this one. Save the black cap for when you're not on the clock.

canon

I used to hear the same argument about t-shirts. Only white or brown, not black. Then I saw my center manager wearing a black turtleneck with his browns. So much for that debate at my center.

One driver wears a black Nike (small swoosh in front) hat. Nobody says a word to him. Wear a black hat in and go talk to your boss about an unrelated subject... if he has a problem with it he'll let you know. Our belts are black, and some people wear black shoes. Black accessories go with the uniform it seems.

I think the black looks better too... but I wear the brown one because it's free.

SmithBarney

Wear your black one... then when your sup starts up... just let him/her know of
Article 20 section 5.... and thats just to bust his/her hump of course.

"...All management personnel shall wear a name tag identifying
them as supervision while on duty..."

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

i'm gonna try that next time.:lol:

Gman24

Absolutely, positively not a dischargeable offense..

Please don't misunderstand me, I know it is not a dischargeable offense. My point was, you know there are some people in mngment that would try to make it such. I'm SURE it would not stand IF they did that.

HazMatMan

They do come to work with their name tags on, but they fall off when they start working.. ohhhhhhhhh

disneyworld

We have had several PCMS on this subject over the past several years. Our center manager has said that he thinks the black caps with the UPS symbol look WAAAAY better then the brown "issued" caps, however they are not approved "DRIVER" apparal.

There are still drivers who are seen wearing the black caps every day, most of them just put them on after they get out on their routes.
This is exactly how it was said to me when I wear a black UPS hat(the black fit way better). It's comical how they bother us about stupid details like that when there are much bigger problems to address.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I had a DM that had a problem with my footwear. He had my center manager come to me and say something to me about them. They were black running shoes with reflective triangle on both sides of the tongue. When he told me to either change them or color in the silver spots, I reminded him tht they were reflective and that is a safety issue since I hd been working till 9p.m. some nights. I also told him that "if the DM had an issue with me or my appearance then he should grow some balls and come and tell me himself rather than have one of his lackeys do his work for him." <--And yes, thatis a direct quote of what I said. BTW, the shoe issue was never brought up again.

Channahon

I had a DM that had a problem with my footwear. He had my center manager come to me and say something to me about them. They were black running shoes with reflective triangle on both sides of the tongue. When he told me to either change them or color in the silver spots, I reminded him tht they were reflective and that is a safety issue since I hd been working till 9p.m. some nights. I also told him that "if the DM had an issue with me or my appearance then he should grow some balls and come and tell me himself rather than have one of his lackeys do his work for him." <--And yes, thatis a direct quote of what I said. BTW, the shoe issue was never brought up again.
Good for you, as your shoes do provide extra safety for you.

However, to say the DM should have some balls, believe me he probably has more than you think. And to refer to your manager as a lackey is quite disrepectful.

I'm sure that's the way you felt when talked to about your shoes, but you had a good response. Should have left it at that.

Freedom of speech, I suppose

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Gotta be issued hats in our center. Periodically, when BD comes in to give us their ultra ridiculous sales lead pcms. They will "reward" drivers for doing their jobs for them(turning in sales leads). These rewards usually consist of coolers, bags, umbrellas,Hats and the like. Got 4 hats from them. One is a particularly snazzy visor that i enoy wearing in the summer as it gets horribly hot in SC. One evening the Gestapo (LP) came over from their ivory tower (Air Hub/GO) for random car audits and accosted me for wearing a non-issue hat. I told him, it was given to me by UPS's highly trained propaganda team as a "reward" for having late air because i had to sit through yet another sales lead pcm. :cool:
Needless to say, we had a pcm the following day about uniform dress code. Which was then followed by more late air. I love that place.