Driver fired last year but no replacement?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Zepphead33, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Zepphead33

Zepphead33 New Member

Ive been working pt mornings since late 2013. Since then ive been waiting to be a ft driver. Ive done seasonal driving. But last year a woman was fired and nobody was hired after she was fired, so it kinda made me frustrated. Now a porter guy retired and a driver signed the bid and won it. I suppose there will be a bid for his route? But im assuming another driver will take it. Will i get hired as a driver since the driver who took the porter bid is out?

2. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

That depends on a few things. First where are you in the 6/1 rotation of pt/street hires to FT? Is there a more senior pt employee ahead of you who might want that driver spot?

Also, yes you'd think they'd bid the drivers route out that went to Porter, but that depends on current volume, number of routes needed on a regular basis, how deep the current pool of drivers is, etc.

3. Zepphead33

Zepphead33 New Member

Not sure in the 6/1 ratio. And nobody ahead of me in seniority wants to drive. And the porter bid just came down last friday. Im assuming his route will be posted sometime this or next week. Our center probably has anywhere from 10 to 13 thousands packages everyday. Im just getting frustrated after waiting 4 years.

4. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

3+ years here and you don't have a clue how this works?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. BrownInTx

BrownInTx Member

Wait for list to be posted. Then sign the Damm thing. If you have seniority you got it.

6. Zepphead33

Zepphead33 New Member

Im only pt. Im sure a cover driver or somebody ft will win the bid before me

7. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I, and many others on here, started pt just like you and know the frustration. I waited 6 years myself and wondered if it was worth it too.

In the meantime, remember you're getting great healthcare coverage, pension contributions and 401K as well, (unlike most other non union pt or ft jobs out there) just like a FT driver does though at a lower financial level.

It sounds like you are close but you may have others ahead of you. You could take a cover driver's place if they take that bid, so you may also have other possibilities.

Good luck.

8. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The company has up to 30 days to post the bids for the routes vacated by the firing and transfer.

Have you submitted your letter of intent to become a driver?

9. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Women do a lot less work then men, it's just science. So two women need to leave in order for the company to hire an equal replacement of one man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Letter of intent to become a driver? I never heard of that.

Part timers sign bid sheets to go full time.

Letter of intent is for going into management.

11. Scottyhawk

Scottyhawk What is it? A brown box. Duh

You h
    you need to fill out the part-time to full-time transfer request, that is what the poster is referring to about letter of intent. Ask your center manager about it

12. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Transfer request and not letter of intent then?

13. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

We just sign the FT bid sheet, here

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Yeah the center manager might want part timers to give him a heads up but he has no authority to deny a part timer's right to bid so a transfer request would be fairly pointless.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

This is why you should refrain from posting in the operations threads.

16. Brownslave688

Yep. Some places make this so complicated. I mean sign the list when there's an opening go the the person highest on the list. Do you want to drive?

If not move down the list.

17. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt Technologically Savvy Virtual Sociopath Staff Member

You must have ORION in your center ... it reduces miles so much it can reduce a 30 car center by 2 drivers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Apparently I still know more about operations than you.

19. UPSGUY72

UPSGUY72 Well-Known Member

In my area they are now making people wanting to be FT driver write a letter as to why they want to be a Driver and what there commitment to the company is...

20. Brownslave688

That's pretty stupid.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List