Driver fired on christmas eve....

OPTION3

We have the contract right to take a 30-60 min unpaid lunch break between the 3rd and 7th hour. In practice they don't really care when you take it.

Or we have the option to not take it at all and just get done earlier.

We also get two paid 15 min breaks during the day.
I would be curious to read the language that says you have the option to not take meal and get done earlier......what supplement article and section?......Ours says meal MUST be taken between the 3rd and 5th hour.....Not doubting you just curious to read it for myself

AKCoverMan

I see.

We don't have an option to not take our mandated sixty min lunch.

Some people 'run' their lunch, meaning they work and don't get paid.

Doesn't make any sense to me either...

And the company should not let it happen, that's a slam dunk wage and hour no-no. Just takes one pissed off driver to file a claim with wage and hour folks and they come in warrants for all the time card data. Gets ugly fast.

If the driver works during lunch it causes a time card error so some management person has to do whatever they do to fix it. Had to claim they didn't know employee was working and not getting paid.

AKCoverMan

I would be curious to read the language that says you have the option to not take meal and get done earlier......what supplement article and section?......Ours says meal MUST be taken between the 3rd and 5th hour.....Not doubting you just curious to read it for myself
Alaska 959 Full Time Supplement

It was amended this past contract, and done very sloppily. Our language still says "must take" then turns around on next line and says may skip lunch with approval and such approval will not be withheld unreasonably. In the past contract it said must take but was rarely enforced.

In practice it's never questioned if we choose to not take a lunch.

It was amended this past contract, and done very sloppily. Our language still says "must take" then turns around on next line and says may skip lunch with approval and such approval will not be withheld unreasonably. In the past contract it said must take but was rarely enforced.

In practice it's never questioned if we choose to not take a lunch.
Sarah palin rule?

OPTION3

In practice it’s never questioned if we choose to not take a lunch.
Wow ...pretty liberal rules for meal...NICE....However
In 5.04B....December lunch period.It is understood and agreed that during the month of December,employees will be allowed to take a 1/2 hour unpaid lunch or a 1 hour unpaid lunch. THIS CHOICE MUST BE MADE KNOWN BY DECEMBER 1ST........Why would they(management) need to know which you select by december 1st?

broketone1987

Got a flat on Xmas Eve. About 70 stops in my 1000-7000s. My 8000s-at least 140! Needless to say, I was out all night. Start time backed up to 9:45, but still...really?!?

Sent using BrownCafe App

AKCoverMan

Wow ...pretty liberal rules for meal...NICE....However
In 5.04B....December lunch period.It is understood and agreed that during the month of December,employees will be allowed to take a 1/2 hour unpaid lunch or a 1 hour unpaid lunch. THIS CHOICE MUST BE MADE KNOWN BY DECEMBER 1ST........Why would they(management) need to know which you select by december 1st?

True that is still in there even tho we now don't have to take a lunch any month of the year. Like I said, it's sloppy and outdated. In ten years we have never actually "informed management by Dec 1".

Of course the National Agreement still says we can have "transistor radios" in our cars. So....

AKCoverMan

Back of a napkin calculation:

1 hour @ (about) 32.00 per hour x 5 days x 50 weeks = $8000

This doesn't take into consideration that when actually taking your lunch, you may be more likely to go into overtime, so that $8000 might be $9000?

Go ask your sup for $9000, see what they say.

This job is hard enough without working for free.

We have a clearly defined business arrangement with our employer:

We work, they pay us.

It's not rocket surgery.

One hour x 5 days a week x 46 weeks a year = 230 more hours at home instead of at the a Waffle House.

OPTION3

True that is still in there even tho we now don't have to take a lunch any month of the year. Like I said, it's sloppy and outdated. In ten years we have never actually "informed management by Dec 1".

Of course the National Agreement still says we can have "transistor radios" in our cars. So....
They ask for you to decide December 1st......so that if you chose 1/2 hour lunch...they can fill the other half hour with DELIVERY stops....probably business stops

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
You get away with that because your a cover driver.......when you get a route they will dispatch you accordingly unless ups is different in ak
I get the same dispatch whether I take lunch or not and I'm not a cover driver. It took them a long time, but my management team finally figured out it's to their advantage to keep me happy at work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In most all contracts there is language about working as directed.

Could you show me a reference to that ?

Anywhere.... in the UPS Master language or the supplements ?

If your supplement says you won't be disciplined once your full days work is done, that's fine but does that supersede a member of management instructing you to go back out?

Where are you from ?

What Local ?

(In the spirit of a friend) :biggrin:

-Bug-

By The Book

Could you show me a reference to that ?

Anywhere.... in the UPS Master language or the supplements ?

Where are you from ?

What Local ?

(In the spirit of a friend) :biggrin:

-Bug-
My intent was to get the conversation to the point where some have that language but it conflicts with a member of management instructing an employee to work as directed. My bad on my first post, I was thinking that wad was implied like we all know to wad then grieve later.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My intent was to get the conversation to the point where some have that language but it conflicts with a member of management instructing an employee to work as directed. My bad on my first post, I was thinking that wad was implied like we all know to wad then grieve later.
This issue has been grieved before in the Central. UPS tried to discipline an employee for failing to follow. The ruling was that Article 19 Section 6 trumps WAD regarding going back out, in ALL cases. They can ask, but cannot discipline if the employee refuses.

UPS knows this but tries to intimidate and threaten. They have even gone so far as to tell every employee that they must call in when they are done before returning to the building. If you call in before you return to the building and they tell you to go help Joe Blow, you have to work as directed and this article does not apply.

ARTICLE 19-MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

Section 6

Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the

street once they have returned to the building, after having completed

their full day’s work.