Driver fired on christmas eve....

Rainman

Its all good.
Three months to go to the panel? Whatever.

I'll be glad to wait the month out to prove the language sticks.

Bowing to contract abuse due to chronic dispatch issues is part of our union problems.

Spinelessness sends a message to both sides of the fence. Screw that. You can ride on the coat tails of the members that enforce the contract and still dilute our rights?

Sorry, I'm not one of those "teamsters".
As I said, that's not in our supplement and may not be in his either. Play games with your job if you want. I can get the message across without causing hardship for my family.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
With no pickups outside of letter boxes and the UPS store, there should have been plenty of drivers available to help the heavier all-residential ones.
Unfortunately, this was not the case as I was left out there to rot on Christmas Eve. 100% residential route, only took 30 minutes lunch and still didn't clock out until 10pm. Was told by car wash guys that there were plenty of guys clocking out around 6.

10 point

You guys aren't reading what Rainman said: Not all areas have language that prevents the company from from sending you back out as long as you're still on the clock. We don't have any language like that in the Atlantic Area and I've seen two drivers fired for refusing to go back out. One got his job back because he begged for it at the hearing, the other one is gone.
Know the rules and work accordingly.
Pretty simple.

We have protection (maybe you should too next time you negotiate) and I usually call the building before I return to see if anyone needs help during the holidays and on Fridays. That's my choice.

But if I have a family appointment and routes have been cut to boost someone's bonus I bring it in and punch out.

BrownArmy

Northeast here...if they tell me to go back out, I pretty much have to go back out.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Wednesday night I traveled 45 min. and two towns over to take twenty stops off a guy.

It took longer to drive there than it did to deliver the stops.

Oh well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Northeast here...if they tell me to go back out, I pretty much have to go back out.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Wednesday night I traveled 45 min. and two towns over to take twenty stops off a guy.

It took longer to drive there than it did to deliver the stops.

Oh well.
this is why I refuse to bid CVR, although that is easy work and OT, it cuts into having a normal life

Indecisi0n

Unfortunately, this was not the case as I was left out there to rot on Christmas Eve. 100% residential route, only took 30 minutes lunch and still didn't clock out until 10pm. Was told by car wash guys that there were plenty of guys clocking out around 6.
Please explain why you would take a 30 minute lunch when getting crushed?

Dr.Brownz

AM dispatch only here. You do not have to deliver anything except what is in your truck at the beginning of the day. Cannot be forced. Seen many a driver suspended or termed only to grieve and get back pay for everything.

I should add, we all help each other out because there are always days when your overloaded and need the help. The center is small enough that we all know each other on a personal level.

Indecisi0n

Start time was 9am. I was nowhere close to breaking 14 hours. What's your point?
By taking shorter lunches you are in a sense fixing their problems. They know you are a lunch skipper/cutter and will dispatch you as such. For someone like me they know I take a full hour no matter what (missed business, or house stops) so they will schedule that lunch into my day where as with you they can give you an extra 10-15 stops because they know you will cut it short. Take it for what's it worth but just trying to help you out.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I think his point was why take any at all.

?????What? That was not even close to his point. His point was, if you are getting slammed, why wouldn't you take your full hour AND ten minute break while doing your OWN work, rather than taking half, burning up your stuff to only have to go and help someone else.

Work smarter, not harder

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
By taking shorter lunches you are in a sense fixing their problems. They know you are a lunch skipper/cutter and will dispatch you as such.
I've been around long enough to know that kind of stuff goes on and management here knows I will put them in their place if they do that to me.
For the past 20+ years my family has had a tradition of spending Christmas Eve together, having dinner, opening gifts, playing games, creating memories.
I cut my lunch short so I could at least spend a few minutes with them before going to bed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Not all areas have language that prevents the company from from sending you back out as long as you're still on the clock.

Absolutely.

That's why, you need to be familiar with your supplement or Local rider.

The Central Region language covers it.

http://teamster.org/upsupsf-contract-updates/ups-agreements-2013-2018

Section 6

"Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the street once they have returned to the building, after having completed their full day’s work."

-Bug-