Driver fired on christmas eve....

Rainman

Its all good.

By The Book

In most all contracts there is language about working as directed. If your supplement says you won't be disciplined once your full days work is done, that's fine but does that supersede a member of management instructing you to go back out?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I've been around long enough to know that kind of stuff goes on and management here knows I will put them in their place if they do that to me.
For the past 20+ years my family has had a tradition of spending Christmas Eve together, having dinner, opening gifts, playing games, creating memories.
I cut my lunch short so I could at least spend a few minutes with them before going to bed.
Looks like they put you in your place......they got the best of you when they knew you wanted to be home with your family......you said other punched out before 6.....and you said you have been with ups for 20+ so im sure guys with less seniority than you where having fun with there families christmas eve........what inde is saying is you take your full hour and breaks.....then send an eta of midnight.......then make call to sup that there is a good possibility of missed due to 14 hr rule and they would have scrambled to send you help........learn how to play the game!!!!!!

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
........what inde is saying is you take your full hour and breaks.....then send an eta of midnight.......then make call to sup that there is a good possibility of missed due to 14 hr rule and they would have scrambled to send you help........learn how to play the game!!!!!!
You do know that management can look on their computers to see how many stops you have left, right? If I told them midnight, they would know I wasn't being truthful. Regardless of how UPS plays the game, I try to keep my game honest.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

You do know that management can look on their computers to see how many stops you have left, right? If I told them midnight, they would know I wasn't being truthful. Regardless of how UPS plays the game, I try to keep my game honest.
And thats why you will be working till 10 or 11pm on Christmas eve from now until you retire and ill be home with my family before 6......guys like me need guys like you to work through lunch to get the job done so I can go home at 6 every night

OPTION3

By taking shorter lunches you are in a sense fixing their problems. They know you are a lunch skipper/cutter and will dispatch you as such. For someone like me they know I take a full hour no matter what (missed business, or house stops) so they will schedule that lunch into my day where as with you they can give you an extra 10-15 stops because they know you will cut it short. Take it for what's it worth but just trying to help you out.
Exactly...Inde! Don't make their problems your problems!

OPTION3

Have had another driver in adjoining loop stop in where I’m eating lunch, and get all Butt-hurt....”It must be nice to be able to take a lunch”...Me,”sit down..I’ll buy”....Butt-hurt...”I don’t have time I’ll have missed businesses”....Me,”see ya in a couple of hours...I will be needing help with resi’s as well”......Butt-hurt “friend-Off”.....Me”Humph...your welcome!”

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
All this banter about taking lunch not taking lunch, means nothing. There should be no discussion about it, we are entitled to lunch and should have it but thanks to UPS and the lack of accountability of the dispatch of load and lack of consistency within the company in so far as policies and procedures, there will always be someone arguing the pros and cons of lunches.

There are days I would love or have needed to be off an hour earlier so I would shorten my lunch knowing full well that I will be penalized for it the next day with increased stops. UPS rewards performance with a greater workload which in turn forces more people to work later to "help"instead of being able to go home like they should. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is the only company who's business model includes doing other people's work AFTER you have completed your own for the day. These are the things that should be negotiated in the next contract.

bumped

Expect the unexpected. Midnight it is.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Have had another driver in adjoining loop stop in where I’m eating lunch, and get all Butt-hurt....”It must be nice to be able to take a lunch”...Me,”sit down..I’ll buy”....Butt-hurt...”I don’t have time I’ll have missed businesses”....Me,”see ya in a couple of hours...I will be needing help with resi’s as well”......Butt-hurt “friend-Off”.....Me”Humph...your welcome!”
We have a few guys that work through lunch and don't get paid which I still can't figure out why someone would do that.......and then they get mad when I laugh at them

ManInBrown

By taking shorter lunches you are in a sense fixing their problems. They know you are a lunch skipper/cutter and will dispatch you as such. For someone like me they know I take a full hour no matter what (missed business, or house stops) so they will schedule that lunch into my day where as with you they can give you an extra 10-15 stops because they know you will cut it short. Take it for what's it worth but just trying to help you out.

Same here. 60 minutes every single day. Not a MilliSecond of free labor

I never understood working thru lunch. Aside from the free Labor part. If you get done an hour earlier then you would normally get done, in my center you would be required to help another driver the majority of time. Shooting self in foot for no reason. I don't get it

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
We have a few guys that work through lunch and don't get paid which I still can't figure out why someone would do that.......and then they get mad when I laugh at them

Same here. 60 minutes every single day. Not a MilliSecond of free labor

I never understood working thru lunch. Aside from the free Labor part. If you get done an hour earlier then you would normally get done, in my center you would be required to help another driver the majority of time. Shooting self in foot for no reason. I don't get it

Who said anything about not getting paid? The days of UPS automatically deducting an hour from your pay for lunch are over. Around here, you are paid for all time worked.

BrownArmy

Back of a napkin calculation:

1 hour @ (about) 32.00 per hour x 5 days x 50 weeks = $8000

This doesn't take into consideration that when actually taking your lunch, you may be more likely to go into overtime, so that $8000 might be $9000?

Go ask your sup for $9000, see what they say.

This job is hard enough without working for free.

We have a clearly defined business arrangement with our employer:

We work, they pay us.

It's not rocket surgery.

AKCoverMan

I often don't take a lunch and we have talked about that quite a lot but to put a lunch in the board and then keep working? Really?

No way am I turning the meter off while I am generating $$$$ for the company.

If you want to control your dispatch use the 9.5 list. I don't understand the argument that not taking a lunch wll trigger more stops the next day. Not taking a lunch does not change my paid day, nor my SPORH. It just makes my punch out time later.

BrownArmy

I often don't take a lunch and we have talked about that quite a lot but to put a lunch in the board and then keep working? Really?....

Where I'm at we're required to take an hour lunch...

I'd much rather it be thirty minutes, but it is what it is.

Whether we take the hour lunch or not, it will be deducted, and we'll get a 'talking-to' if we don't input the hour for lunch.

What are the 'lunch' rules where you are at, that you 'don't often take a lunch' but seem perplexed at people who put a lunch in their board and work through it?

Are you not required to take a lunch?

AKCoverMan

Where I'm at we're required to take an hour lunch...

I'd much rather it be thirty minutes, but it is what it is.

Whether we take the hour lunch or not, it will be deducted, and we'll get a 'talking-to' if we don't input the hour for lunch.

What are the 'lunch' rules where you are at, that you 'don't often take a lunch' but seem perplexed at people who put a lunch in their board and work through it?

Are you not required to take a lunch?

We have the contract right to take a 30-60 min unpaid lunch break between the 3rd and 7th hour. In practice they don't really care when you take it.

Or we have the option to not take it at all and just get done earlier.

We also get two paid 15 min breaks during the day.

BrownArmy

We have the contract right to take a 30-60 min unpaid lunch break between the 3rd and 7th hour. In practice they don't really care when you take it.

Or we have the option to not take it at all and just get done earlier.

We also get two paid 15 min breaks during the day.

I see.

We don't have an option to not take our mandated sixty min lunch.

Some people 'run' their lunch, meaning they work and don't get paid.

Doesn't make any sense to me either...