Driver forged my signature, is it worth the effort to pursue?

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Hell I was just getting ready to reply to this thread and it went into left field. Hope the driver still has a job on Mon. and everyone needs to open another beer.

S

serenity now

train-derail.jpg
train-derail.jpg

lelecoupon

Thank you guys for all the replies. i wanted to check back earlier, but it's been a hectic day.
When the delivery status turned to,
Left At:Residential
Signed By:My last name

I completely trusted this information, and my first thought was someone in the building signed for me and took the package. By the time my tracking information updated, the driver has left and the apartment office was closed for the night. That's why I called UPS/Amazon ASAP, I didn't think waiting through the weekend was a good idea.

The office isn't allowed to sign packages for residents. The mail room is also only accessible by manager/mail man. Residents are only allowed in with the manager when they have a note informing them they have a package. Again, I was home all afternoon waiting, I don't have friend/roommate/relative in the building. I also didn't get a note on my mail box telling me I had a package in the mail room.

Let's say the manager was shady, signed for me, and took the package. The driver should have at least wrote down delivered to the office, signed by someone last name that's not mine (the apartment manager doesn't have the same last name as me). I should also have gotten a note on my mail box telling me to pick up my package from the driver.

Let's say someone else in the building signed for me. Somehow they decided to return the package to the mail room without opening it. They would have to sneak a 8 lb package into the mail room without the manager's knowledge. If they tell the manager, the manager would have left a note on my mail box telling me to pick up my package.

If UPS does investigate into the matter, there are cameras in the building. I am not sure if they can get a hold of the footage though.

I don't want to simply let the matter go, I do a lot of my shopping online. About 3/4 of those orders come via UPS. I lost a package before, since that one didn't require signature, and it was a less expensive package, I didn't pursue. I'd really like to make sure this kind of incident doesn't happen again. I don't want a driver to lose his job, but if I just let it go, it's likely something will go wrong with my packages again.

I think I will call UPS, give them all the information I have. I hope they will investigate and figure out what went wrong. Perhaps it wasn't the driver, then there's no need to worry about him losing his job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are right in that the delivery information should have shown where the package was left. This is called indirecting and, in this case, the driver should have typed in "mail room". Indirecting is only done after a delivery attempt is made at the address on the package; in other words, the driver should have gone to your apt before going to the mail room unless the apartment building has a different policy. When the driver completed the delivery at the mail room he should have typed in the last name of the person who signed for the package, not yours, unless by chance they are the same, and then typed in "mail room" as the delivery location.

When you do call the toll free number do not relay any of this information to that person but rather ask them to forward a message to the local center to have a supervisor call you at their convenience. This won't happen until Monday at the earliest as we don't work weekends. When the supervisor calls present your side of the story in a non-accusatory tone. Tell him/her that you have your package but that you simply want to know what happened. The supervisor will then sit down with the driver, most likely when he gets off road Monday evening, and will call you back after having this discussion.

Please make sure you come back to let us know what really did happen. Dave.

kingOFchester

Thank you guys for all the replies. i wanted to check back earlier, but it's been a hectic day.
When the delivery status turned to,
Left At:Residential
Signed By:My last name

I completely trusted this information, and my first thought was someone in the building signed for me and took the package. By the time my tracking information updated, the driver has left and the apartment office was closed for the night. That's why I called UPS/Amazon ASAP, I didn't think waiting through the weekend was a good idea.

The office isn't allowed to sign packages for residents. The mail room is also only accessible by manager/mail man. Residents are only allowed in with the manager when they have a note informing them they have a package. Again, I was home all afternoon waiting, I don't have friend/roommate/relative in the building. I also didn't get a note on my mail box telling me I had a package in the mail room.

Let's say the manager was shady, signed for me, and took the package. The driver should have at least wrote down delivered to the office, signed by someone last name that's not mine (the apartment manager doesn't have the same last name as me). I should also have gotten a note on my mail box telling me to pick up my package from the driver.

Let's say someone else in the building signed for me. Somehow they decided to return the package to the mail room without opening it. They would have to sneak a 8 lb package into the mail room without the manager's knowledge. If they tell the manager, the manager would have left a note on my mail box telling me to pick up my package.

If UPS does investigate into the matter, there are cameras in the building. I am not sure if they can get a hold of the footage though.

I don't want to simply let the matter go, I do a lot of my shopping online. About 3/4 of those orders come via UPS. I lost a package before, since that one didn't require signature, and it was a less expensive package, I didn't pursue. I'd really like to make sure this kind of incident doesn't happen again. I don't want a driver to lose his job, but if I just let it go, it's likely something will go wrong with my packages again.

I think I will call UPS, give them all the information I have. I hope they will investigate and figure out what went wrong. Perhaps it wasn't the driver, then there's no need to worry about him losing his job.

Good luck, and hope you find what you are looking for.