Driver Helper Complaint

gingerkat

Okay, so let me try and take a stab at this. I know that my orientation was pretty useless, so I imagine yours was the same. Not much info was given about how much we would be working or how long, so I get your complaint on that. I also get your complaint on how much work you do... because that certainly wasn't talked about either. I only knew these things from being on this forum before I to applied for the position, so I didn't have that complaint.

I think that many of the drivers here having been doing so for a while now, so they forget what it's like for someone like you or I having never done the job before. I myself love the physical part of the job and don't really care what the pay is. The least amount I worked was 6 hours and that was on the first day. Now my driver keeps me as long as he wants, usually without permission from his sups. I do look at my time slip and I see that on certain days I'm only supposed to work 4.67 hours or something odd like that, but we work until done.

With that being said, it's hard for them to feel bad for helpers when they do this by themselves all year long. But, I hope drivers will remember that we aren't really conditioned for this kind of work. So maybe we can all play nicely?:whiteflag:

Just so you know, you aren't alone in your frustration, but this might be the wrong place to look for sympathy. Oh, and you get paid a whole $1 more than I do, but I still keep on smiling and enjoy the job. Hey it's better than sitting around chatting up my cat all day long. If you're still working the helper job, see if you can get a few more hours the final days.

UPSGUY72

Okay, so let me try and take a stab at this. I know that my orientation was pretty useless, so I imagine yours was the same. Not much info was given about how much we would be working or how long, so I get your complaint on that. I also get your complaint on how much work you do... because that certainly wasn't talked about either. I only knew these things from being on this forum before I to applied for the position, so I didn't have that complaint.

I think that many of the drivers here having been doing so for a while now, so they forget what it's like for someone like you or I having never done the job before. I myself love the physical part of the job and don't really care what the pay is. The least amount I worked was 6 hours and that was on the first day. Now my driver keeps me as long as he wants, usually without permission from his sups. I do look at my time slip and I see that on certain days I'm only supposed to work 4.67 hours or something odd like that, but we work until done.

With that being said, it's hard for them to feel bad for helpers when they do this by themselves all year long. But, I hope drivers will remember that we aren't really conditioned for this kind of work. So maybe we can all play nicely?:whiteflag:

Just so you know, you aren't alone in your frustration, but this might be the wrong place to look for sympathy. Oh, and you get paid a whole $1 more than I do, but I still keep on smiling and enjoy the job. Hey it's better than sitting around chatting up my cat all day long. If you're still working the helper job, see if you can get a few more hours the final days.

First of all the OP has only work 1 day a couple of weeks ago. His complaint is that he hasn't been working.

second your job isn't hard unless you have been a fat slob couch potato and I know a couple of UPS driver that could fall under that category so what your problem. You may be tired at the end of the day but that what happens when you put in a full day of work. Welcome to the real world of working.

gingerkat

First of all the OP has only work 1 day a couple of weeks ago. His complaint is that he hasn't been working.

second your job isn't hard unless you have been a fat slob couch potato and I know a couple of UPS driver that could fall under that category so what your problem. You may be tired at the end of the day but that what happens when you put in a full day of work. Welcome to the real world of working.
Well mr. :censored2:, this SLOB is probably in better shape then you will ever be. I work out of my house and I happen to use my brain, ever hear of it? I doubt it. I bet I worked more hours in my life than you ever will. I was responding to the OP, not you. You clearly have had it out for me since I came to this board.

carry on

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I will answer the OP's question:

I was hired as a seasonal driver helper for the month of December. I know that's not the top job but I went into it with 100% enthusiasm. I had one shift and did a great job. I'm really annoyed as for the entire month of December I was only called for a 4.5 hour shift @ $9.5 per hour. You would think that a company specializing in logistics could plan for how many helpers they need. I turned down another job for December as "JL" from Springfield (the guy doing the hiring and training) made a big deal about asking about my availability. This has given me a really bad impression about the company.

UPS *is* planning for enough helpers to meet its projected staffing needs. Remember, the Company attempts to give the same driver the same helper everyday and thus if you didn't begin working before/shortly after Thanksgiving, your chances of working decrease. But there are still some drivers that will very infrequently get helpers, as well as helpers that quit, get fired, get hurt, or run into other situations that prevent them from working select days -- and, unfortunately, that's your position in the queue. Typically, the Company is explicit with this information during late orientation sessions.

I think that many of the drivers here having been doing so for a while now, so they forget what it's like for someone like you or I having never done the job before.

Don't let the postings on BrownCafe fool you into thinking they represent the general population of UPS drivers as a whole. They don't. Most drivers are friendly & recognize/understand the initial soreness/fatigue helpers experience. Most will do what they can - within reason - to make the helper feel more comfortable. Unfortunately, some of the more dominate "voices" on here are ***holes.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I will answer the OP's question:

UPS *is* planning for enough helpers to meet its projected staffing needs. Remember, the Company attempts to give the same driver the same helper everyday and thus if you didn't begin working before/shortly after Thanksgiving, your chances of working decrease. But there are still some drivers that will very infrequently get helpers, as well as helpers that quit, get fired, get hurt, or run into other situations that prevent them from working select days -- and, unfortunately, that's your position in the queue. Typically, the Company is explicit with this information during late orientation sessions.

Don't let the postings on BrownCafe fool you into thinking they represent the general population of UPS drivers as a whole. They don't. Most drivers are friendly & recognize/understand the initial soreness/fatigue helpers experience. Most will do what they can - within reason - to make the helper feel more comfortable. Unfortunately, some of the more dominate "voices" on here are ***holes.

Yeah, the more dominant voices are a-holes....or, perhaps, very experienced in the ways of UPS. Unfortunately, many people who post on this forum believe everything management tells them.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yeah, the more dominant voices are a-holes....or, perhaps, very experienced in the ways of UPS. Unfortunately, many people who post on this forum believe everything management tells them.

Being "experienced" doesn't give you the right to be rude. It's amazing how many drivers on here whine, cry & complain about how they're treated, then act the same way on these forums. If a posting, topic or thread doesn't interest you, then just ignore it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I was a driver helper two years ago fortunate enough to have an amazing driver to show me the ropes. My driver had been on the same route for 10+ years and was happy to have me after having a few burnouts who couldn't keep up. I got a positive re-hire status after peak ended and, unforatunately, it took 3 months for HR to get me on staff as a loader, and that was with me calling every week to bug them.

A month or two as a helper will give you a tiny glimpse of what its like to be a driver. If you're willing to get past the swollen knees and ankles, then one day you might get the privilege of breaking your back for a few years loading trucks. Is it worth it?, depends.

I have probably a dozen friends with bachelor degrees who have been laid off no fault of their own. Guys with degrees in computer science working on the geek squad at best buy, guys with business administration degrees working at an AT&T kiosk in a mall. My college roommate has an accounting degree and spends his days climbing ladders to disconnect people's cable for a company contracted by comcast.

Bottom line.... I have job security with a company making a billion dollars in profit a quarter during a recession. Can I complain about the low pay and physical demands, sure, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, because its in writing. The value of a union job should by no means be underestimated. I've got lots of complaints but I've got no problem putting in my time like so many before me.

kingOFchester

Look bud I get it every two weeks or so and I'm completely fine with it. I'm usually to tired anyway.

Wife said she is sending the kids to the movies so we could "get a little".

I said "have them take the trash out, we should be wrapped up by the time they get back."

To tired this time of the year to put on a big performance. Save the whips and chains for February.

UPSGUY72

Well mr. :censored2:, this SLOB is probably in better shape then you will ever be. I work out of my house and I happen to use my brain, ever hear of it? I doubt it. I bet I worked more hours in my life than you ever will. I was responding to the OP, not you. You clearly have had it out for me since I came to this board.

carry on

Get a life and a real job I have one and have had many.

I'm also a former US Army Attack helicopter Pilot (chief warrant Officer 2). I have a Commercial Helicopter license. I have a BS Human Factor and Psychology From ERAU.

Being a driver at UPS is easy and being a helper is even easier it isn't rocket science it's pushing card board.
It's not a physically demanding job those that make it that way aren't doing the job the right way. Working at UPS isn't substitute for going to the gym.

Making if through US Army Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) and Flight school prepared me for anything in life. It taught me that everything in life is a mental challenge and not always physical one the mentally weak will not survive.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It's not a physically demanding job those that make it that way aren't doing the job the right way. Working at UPS isn't substitute for going to the gym.

B.S. If that were the case, UPS would not endure the large number of injuries -- even among physically-fit employees -- that it does. And as you learned en route to your degree, not everybody has the same physical and mental capacity.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Get a life and a real job I have one and have had many.

I'm also a former US Army Attack helicopter Pilot (chief warrant Officer 2). I have a Commercial Helicopter license. I have a BS Human Factor and Psychology From ERAU.

Being a driver at UPS is easy and being a helper is even easier it isn't rocket science it's pushing card board.

Making if through US Army Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) and Flight school prepared me for anything in life. It taught me that everything in life is a mental challenge and not always physical one the mentally weak will not survive.

This is why we need a strong union. We are employees, not soldiers. We are not sacrificing our lives for a good cause, we are not heroes and we are not nuns. Thanks for your service, but I am not a soldier I am an employee, and I demand just compensation.

UPSGUY72

This is why we need a strong union. We are employees, not soldiers. We are not sacrificing our lives for a good cause, we are not heroes and we are not nuns. Thanks for your service, but I am not a soldier I am an employee, and I demand just compensation.

I do a fair day work for a fairs day pay. $31.785 hr is pretty good money and the benefits I get are a bonus.

If your a Helper and don't like the pay then why did you apple for the job knowing what your going to be getting paid to start. The kids starting to work these day are the me people they want everything know with out earning it...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I do a fair day work for a fairs day pay. $31.785 hr is pretty good money and the benefits I get are a bonus.

If your a Helper and don't like the pay then why did you apple for the job knowing what your going to be getting paid to start. The kids starting to work these day are the me people they want everything know with out earning it...

I was a helper two years ago and I'm putting in my time as a loader like so many before me. I might be a kid and I might want everything, but I have no problem putting in my time like so many people before me to get it. 31.785 certainly is fair pay, the prospect of earning that one day is the only reason I'm still here. 31.785 is far from the 10 an hour I get, and I'm lucky to get 25 hours a week after peak season.

However, him saying this isn't a physically demanding job is BS. Comparing this job to military service is BS. Apples to Oranges, thats all I'm saying.