Driver Helper Complaint

gingerkat

Get a life and a real job I have one and have had many.

I'm also a former US Army Attack helicopter Pilot (chief warrant Officer 2). I have a Commercial Helicopter license. I have a BS Human Factor and Psychology From ERAU.

Being a driver at UPS is easy and being a helper is even easier it isn't rocket science it's pushing card board.
It's not a physically demanding job those that make it that way aren't doing the job the right way. Working at UPS isn't substitute for going to the gym.

Making if through US Army Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) and Flight school prepared me for anything in life. It taught me that everything in life is a mental challenge and not always physical one the mentally weak will not survive.
Funny, I thought being a CPA was a real job? I'm weak? I would love to see you sit for all parts of the exam, while working 90-100 hours a week and see if you come out sane? You don't know me, so don't accuse me of being mentally weak.

As for the armed forces? You won't ever catch me putting them down, as I come from an Army family. I'll never say I'm as physically as strong as a man and I didn't complain about the work. I was just letting the OP know that I understand how he feels mislead. We get NOTHING from orientation. Maybe YOU should read a little more before berating others.

UPSGUY72

B.S. If that were the case, UPS would not endure the large number of injuries -- even among physically-fit employees -- that it does. And as you learned en route to your degree, not everybody has the same physical and mental capacity.

Of those people that you know that got hurt I would bet some are physical fit and some aren't. It's just not the physically unfit that get hurt.

Injuries have nothing to doing with the physical demands of the job the job isn't physically demanding unless you make it that way. Do the job the right way and you will lesson your chances of getting hurt. Just like any job (UPS or other ) injuries happen for a number of reason and eliminating the chance of getting injured totally is impossible. Running around like a A-hole with your head cut off not doing the job by the methods will get you injured eventually. Following the methods will not eliminate the chance of you getting injured but will greatly reduced the chances.

UPSGUY72

Funny, I thought being a CPA was a real job? I'm weak? I would love to see you sit for all parts of the exam, while working 90-100 hours a week and see if you come out sane? You don't know me, so don't accuse me of being mentally weak.

As for the armed forces? You won't ever catch me putting them down, as I come from an Army family. I'll never say I'm as physically as strong as a man and I didn't complain about the work. I was just letting the OP know that I understand how he feels mislead. We get NOTHING from orientation. Maybe YOU should read a little more before berating others.

Apparently your CPA job didn't work out if your working as a helper for $8.50.

gingerkat

So it looks like it's going to be a pissing match with you chopper man? FYI, after 10 long years at that crappy job, I'm making a career change. This "helper" job was to see if I could do the physical demands of the next career. Hell, maybe I'll move to your town and you can be my first patient:devil3:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Apparently your CPA job didn't work out if your working as a helper for $8.50.

I'm feeling some serious helper hate. You must have had some pretty crappy helpers to hate on them like this.... What kind of worker did you think UPS was going to attract with a dollar above federal minimum wage? You realize 8.50 is the starting pay for basically all UPS employees right?

Sounds like your real issue is with what starting wage the union has negotiated. You get what you pay for, I'm not happy about it either. My job as a loader would be a lot easier if I had a better co-worker.

Ms.PacMan

Helpers in my area get paid $12.xx and I did think that we hit the bottom of the barrel this year. The only other year I can remember so many quitting was a year that most of peak was below zero.

The FedEx ground guy on my area makes less than our helpers and he was beside himself with 118 stops on Fri. He guessed he would be out until 9pm!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Helpers in my area get paid $12.xx and I did think that we hit the bottom of the barrel this year.

I find it interesting that the company actually finds helpers smart enough to find Browncafe.:devil3:

We have guys with scraggly beards and saggy pants in the building​ every morning.

Cementups

Box Monkey
B.S. If that were the case, UPS would not endure the large number of injuries -- even among physically-fit employees -- that it does. And as you learned en route to your degree, not everybody has the same physical and mental capacity.

Most injuries occur because people don't follow the methods. Has nothing to do with personal fitness or well being.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

THIS JOB IS ONLY AS HARD AS YOU MAKE IT!!!

UPSGUY72

I'm feeling some serious helper hate. You must have had some pretty crappy helpers to hate on them like this.... What kind of worker did you think UPS was going to attract with a dollar above federal minimum wage? You realize 8.50 is the starting pay for basically all UPS employees right?

Sounds like your real issue is with what starting wage the union has negotiated. You get what you pay for, I'm not happy about it either. My job as a loader would be a lot easier if I had a better co-worker.

The only issues I have with helpers are the one that come on BC and complain about what the driver does and having to actually do a little work. the kicker is that they signed up for the job...

Pay has little to do with helper complaining most helper (not all ) are chronically unemployed because they have no work ethics. They want the paybut don't want to work....

I started out on the inside making $8.50 and I worked my way up to a $31.785 job I didn't complain about the low starting pay. I got another FT job (4 ten hr days ) to go along with my PT UPS gig until I got a FT UPS job. That how the life works you want something you work for it.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The only issues I have with helpers are the one that come on BC and complain about what the driver does and having to actually do a little work. the kicker is that they signed up for the job...

The Company is giving the driver a helper because it desires increased productivity. A driver who refuses to budge from his seat and expects his helper to find, scan & deliver the package is clearly a candidate for discipline on the grounds of stealing time (you told me to "quit" if I don't like this ... wonder what would happen if I reported this to the center manager and he did an observation? -- note that I would NEVER do this). Yes, these drivers are in the minority but they do exist.

Pay has little to do with helper complaining most helper (not all ) are chronically unemployed because they have no work ethics. They want the paybut don't want to work....

Total B.S. There are oodles of people with strong skills & superior work ethics who are "chronically" unemployed due to the economy. And there are oodles of drivers who instruct their helpers to work unsafe (run, don't wear seat belt, etc.) so that they can finish earlier and/or make bonus.

I started out on the inside making $8.50 and I worked my way up to a $31.785 job I didn't complain about the low starting pay. I got another FT job (4 ten hr days ) to go along with my PT UPS gig until I got a FT UPS job. That how the life works you want something you work for it.

- What was $8.50 worth in 2012 dollars when you started?
- Were you working everyday when you started?
- How long did it take you to progress to driving and then top rate?

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Well mr. :censored2:, this SLOB is probably in better shape then you will ever be. I work out of my house and I happen to use my brain, ever hear of it? I doubt it. I bet I worked more hours in my life than you ever will. I was responding to the OP, not you. You clearly have had it out for me since I came to this board.

carry on

I like your style gingerkat, you really do bring good discussion to the table. :) Carry on knowing you have a supporter in me that appreciates your work ethic and moral positions.

Last edited:

Ms.PacMan

A driver who refuses to budge from his seat and expects his helper to find, scan & deliver the package is clearly a candidate for discipline on the grounds of stealing time (you told me to "quit" if I don't like this ... wonder what would happen if I reported this to the center manager and he did an observation? -- note that I would NEVER do this). Yes, these drivers are in the minority but they do exist.
The center manager would have a good laugh.

UPSGUY72

The center manager would have a good laugh.

Keep telling yourself that.

That's the truth. The center manager could careless less what the driver is doing all day as long s they don't get hurt and they hit the numbers. You haven't been with UPS long enough to actually know what and what really matter to SUP , manager, and bosses. They only care about meeting imaginary numbers that someone in Atlanta made. As long as you meet the numbers they real could careless about what is going on.

What numbers what level of management worries about are different. But it all about numbers.

But if you want to find out go tell the center manager in your building and see what he does. If my helper wanted to complain I call the center and hand him the phone than I'd drive him back to his car and drop him off. Ask around there have been many drives that have dropped of there helper never to pick them up again. I personally now drivers that have left there helpers at stops because they had to argue about everything.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
That's the truth. The center manager could careless less what the driver is doing all day as long s they don't get hurt and they hit the numbers. You haven't been with UPS long enough to actually know what and what really matter to SUP , manager, and bosses. They only care about meeting imaginary numbers that someone in Atlanta made. As long as you meet the numbers they real could careless about what is going on.

What numbers what level of management worries about are different. But it all about numbers.

But if you want to find out go tell the center manager in your building and see what he does. If my helper wanted to complain I call the center and hand him the phone than I'd drive him back to his car and drop him off. Ask around there have been many drives that have dropped of there helper never to pick them up again. I personally now drivers that have left there helpers at stops because they had to argue about everything.

LOL. I've been here well over a decade. I personally know at least two drivers who were disciplined for abandoning their helper at a secure stop because they weren't getting along. I've also seen drivers disciplined for refusing to take helpers, keeping their helpers too little / too long and not using their helpers properly (on select routes here drivers are asked to give their helpers a load of packages to cart themselves). We even had a 28-year guy fired for sexually harassing a helper... a he-said-she-said case of a long-time employee with no previous incidences vs. a helper working her second day. He did get his job back, but not for several months and not until regional panel. Absolutely, management cares about numbers. Last year the driver I was paired with was struggling to locate packages within the truck, so he made the decision to stop & have us sort it. He ended up beating the route by a hair, but we were BOTH hauled in the office and accused of stealing time since we were idle for 20-minutes (and he took his full break later).

It may not be the case where you live, but nationally there are plenty of UPS managers who care about maximizing their productivity.