Driver helper might be hurt, what action?

Octave

Along with all the other advice people have given here, many of which has helped me in the past, I'd just like to add that I walk around the house in crocs. Those ugly rubber slipper things made for nurses and doctors. They are like giant gel shoe inserts, and really lessen the strain of walking around. Helps me rest up before I gotta go out again the next day. This might be more because I'm kind of big and heavy...but might help others.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Cementups, what footwear do you recommend?

That's all personal preference. But there are many options that fit under UPS guidelines. But when I had helpers I didn't care what kind of shoes (or what color they were) they had on as long as they were comfortable and could get through the long days. For most of us, just having a helper that shows up and is willing to work is enough.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello, UPS'ers,

I have a niece that has signed up as a driver helper for peak. The first day she worked about 6 hours on the package car helping deliver, and while sore from using her body in a way she was not accustomed to, she said it was not too bad. I don't know the total packages delivered, but she said there were around 150 stops.

The next work day, she was assigned to a different area and driver. This driver was averaging in the neighbor hood of 250 stops, with the highest day being 280+ stops. Apparently, they were sending out a shuttle truck in the middle of the day with more packages due to the season.

As the week on, she started complaining of more and more pain in her knee joints, it sounds like inflammation to me, and then her ankle. When I saw her, she could not walk without pain, well, she wasn't walking very well at all. I don't know how she will be able to work her next scheduled day, judging from how she is moving.

Is this common for helpers? From talking with her, I am getting that the driver is running or jogging and she is doing the same because she wants to keep up. She is not a teenager or even young, but she is, or was, in pretty good shape.

I am afraid she will get hurt, and she took the job because she has no job, or health insurance. What happens if she gets hurt on the job?

I am curious if other drivers/helpers experience this almost crippling effect after only 7-8 days, and what do you all do about it?
Pre-existing condition. She gets nothing!

BeachBoy

I feel for you. It's all a matter of conditioning. I personally enjoy the work and the pace. It's not difficult at all if you're used to moving around. The best part of our route, we average about 45 stops per hour, with both my driver and myself sorting and delivering. 10 hours a day and I feel great at the end of day.

BigSlim

Hello, UPS'ers,

I have a niece that has signed up as a driver helper for peak. The first day she worked about 6 hours on the package car helping deliver, and while sore from using her body in a way she was not accustomed to, she said it was not too bad. I don't know the total packages delivered, but she said there were around 150 stops.

The next work day, she was assigned to a different area and driver. This driver was averaging in the neighbor hood of 250 stops, with the highest day being 280+ stops. Apparently, they were sending out a shuttle truck in the middle of the day with more packages due to the season.

As the week on, she started complaining of more and more pain in her knee joints, it sounds like inflammation to me, and then her ankle. When I saw her, she could not walk without pain, well, she wasn't walking very well at all. I don't know how she will be able to work her next scheduled day, judging from how she is moving.

Is this common for helpers? From talking with her, I am getting that the driver is running or jogging and she is doing the same because she wants to keep up. She is not a teenager or even young, but she is, or was, in pretty good shape.

I am afraid she will get hurt, and she took the job because she has no job, or health insurance. What happens if she gets hurt on the job?

I am curious if other drivers/helpers experience this almost crippling effect after only 7-8 days, and what do you all do about it?
My first week was a little rough, but my body has acclimated. Lots of rest and eating protein rich foods. Good shoes are a must.

We're doing almost 300 stops a day, around 10-11 hours. The Fitbit tells me I'm averaging about 13 miles and about 100 flights of stairs a day on my feet. About half of that is jogging/running. Pain is to be expected.

Try to hold out for a couple more days until Christmas, then when it's over load up on the egg nog and rum.

If you're worried about health coverage or serious injury, I would stop now and not count on UPS coming to your aid. JMO

moldsporh

Yeah, welcome to ups delivery. In addition to what others have said, having proper footwear, stretching, hydration, protein, as well as maintaining a balance of electrolytes is paramount. Your body will use far, far more than your used to and it's up to you to maintain these levels.

This job isn't easy, and it takes someone to actually perform our duties to understand what we endure.

She'll get better, just watch your footing and work in your power zone.

Also, if you wait until you're thirsty, you waited too long. If you don't hydrate after you finish work and before bed, you will be hurting the next day because you're all dried out and can get muscle tears or sprains. It takes hours to fully recover from being dehydrated and..... stay off the sodas!!!

watdaflock?

The discomfort felt is your body thanking you for finally using it.

When muscles get worked, they tear and regrow stronger. Repeat often.

* Advil is your friend.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Personally I wouldn't spend the money for a job that will end in 4 da
I feel for you. It's all a matter of conditioning. I personally enjoy the work and the pace. It's not difficult at all if you're used to moving around. The best part of our route, we average about 45 stops per hour, with both my driver and myself sorting and delivering. 10 hours a day and I feel great at the end of day.
Hmmm.....4 weeks a year vs 5 days a week year round. Yeah...that's the same thing. See how great you feel then.

Big Babooba

I tell my helpers that if they get hurt, "You die where you lie. I will leave you there writhing in pain. Overnight the wolves will eat your sorry ass and in the morning the vultures will pick your bones clean." Never had a helper get hurt.