Driver helper or loader during peak?

HardknocksUPSer

Is it possible to switch from PT loader to driver helper just for peak and then switch back to being a loader after peak season?
You can do both, I do, best time of the year to make decent money as a PT'r load or unload in the morning, bring uniform to work and leave it in your vehicle or locker, expect to leave with a driver but for the most part I usually get to go home for a hour before I go to meet the driver.

PT Car Washer

Work your primary sort and double or triple on the other sorts. OT after 5 hours in a day. You could end up with a bigger paycheck then a driver working 12 hour days.

Oak

I did both for a few years, then began to wonder why I wanted to work at the ($8.50 Southern) helper rate.

Last year, after passing Integrad, I was asked to help. I told them, "No thanks. You need to put another route in."

Deemster

Just my 2 cents here:

I did driver helper my 2nd peak season was clearing 500 bucks a week and that was doing helper only 4-6 hours a day because I work the twilight sort.

Never done it since then instead tried pulling double in the hub. Never once cleared that 500m ark since then even with the "Dallas relief sort" they had during day sort hours last peak

MendozaJ

No. They hire seasonals to do that at $8/hr. They will choose volunteers from the inside only if all available seasonals have been assigned. But the month and a half before and after the peak hiring period is when UPS has a desperate need for helpers. The only way to survive a year on preload pay is between the months of September and February when OT is virtually guaranteed.

By The Book

No. They hire seasonals to do that at $8/hr. They will choose volunteers from the inside only if all available seasonals have been assigned. But the month and a half before and after the peak hiring period is when UPS has a desperate need for helpers. The only way to survive a year on preload pay is between the months of September and February when OT is virtually guaranteed.
The language as it relates to the percentage of inside employees as helpers is apparently different in many areas. In some areas the inside employee s are used up to 51%, as long as they perform their primary shift. Then the rest can be outside hires. The other way to survive on preload pay is to have another job, or other assistance.

Box Ox

Is it possible to switch from PT loader to driver helper just for peak and then switch back to being a loader after peak season?

"Hey, fellow preloaders. I hear you've got a 11:30pm start time tonight and will be getting plowed until 8:30am tomorrow morning. Ouch! Fortunately for me, management is letting me skip all that and driver help between 1pm-5pm instead."

Not gonna happen. Can you do both? Absolutely. Off street helpers tend to drop like flies.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I did both for a few years, then began to wonder why I wanted to work at the ($8.50 Southern) helper rate.

Last year, after passing Integrad, I was asked to help. I told them, "No thanks. You need to put another route in."
You guys in the south have the worst freaking supplement.

Yet you're the sole reason the last contract passed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Depends on your supplement. Mine says seniority PTers who want to double shift as helpers during peak can do so...and must be given requested work over a seasonal helper. They are paid $12 an hour for helper work (regardless of your preload hourly rate).

As a part time package handler I was always asked during peak season if I wanted to work a double. Most of the times I did even though my body regretted it the money was good. They also offer Saturday sorts but that can vary depending on where you work at. For example during peak we only had two days of Saturday sorts during the month December.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'd stick with the sort. The hours you get being a helper is so unpredictable it isn't even funny. You're going to be way better off sticking with the sort. If you wanted to get more hours they'll gladly take you as a helper. I know we always prefer insiders as they're almost always more reliable than some seasonal hired for 3 weeks.