Driver helper position

Hello guys... I have a concern that I would like you guys to clarify for me. I applied for Driver Helper position online around two weeks ago and got my interview schedule for October 17,2011. Upon arriving at the specify UPS location, The ladies at human resource explained to us ( we were about 35 people) the procedure and the job requirement. They even told us to buy black/brown boots and wear them once we got called to orientation. We then got called on a one on one interview, which it was basically to verify my information and show my Social security number. My concern is that I haven't heard from UPS since the interview, I know they said they will need to run back ground check before they call me. But It has been one week and NADA ! .. Is that normal ?

Thanks guys !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, that is normal---you most likely will not start working until the week after Thanksgiving. You may start the week of but it is not likely. Your hours may be sporadic at first but should pick up in December.

When you do start make sure you are at the meet location on time and ready to work.

nystripe96

I waited a month. It varies a lot but normal. If u have an email or number use it to your advantage. Show them how interested you are. If they don't respond, keep on contacting them anyway. Good luck

Yes, that is normal---you most likely will not start working until the week after Thanksgiving. You may start the week of but it is not likely. Your hours may be sporadic at first but should pick up in December.

When you do start make sure you are at the meet location on time and ready to work.

Thank You !, hopefully they do call me. Do you know anybody that worked as a driver helper and got into the company as a permanent worker? I know a guy who works for UPS and basically told me not to miss any day nor be late and I will be called back on January as a package handler, I know it's not guarantee but at least I will be ahead of the curve ( Hopefully ) .....
Any thoughts ??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank You !, hopefully they do call me. Do you know anybody that worked as a driver helper and got into the company as a permanent worker? I know a guy who works for UPS and basically told me not to miss any day nor be late and I will be called back on January as a package handler, I know it's not guarantee but at least I will be ahead of the curve ( Hopefully ) .....
Any thoughts ??

I have been able to get two of my helpers hired on after Peak. There is no guarantee but you can stack the odds in your favor by showing up on time each and every day ready to work.

cookscrue

At least in our center we don't plan on using helpers until December 1st. That being said make sure they have a good number to reach you at and keep the phone by you. Last season I was the helper coordinator and can tell you first hand, those who didn't answer the phone the first day didn't get called back after that. We had over 50 driver helpers on our list and usually only needed 30-35 per day. Hope this helps. Good luck.