driver helper question

kwdkool

im sure you guys have heard this many times or something of the sort. but my situation is that a driver called two days ago to see if i could work but i wasnt available yet at the time but i would be the next day. well two days have gone by and still have not recieved a call. my question is how could i go about getting some hours. should i call somebody? i dont know, its just kind of frustrating how at orientation they were stressing how we could work up to 60 hours a week sometimes and here i am sitting on my butt ready to help them out. thanks in advance

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
To be a driver helper, you almost have to have nothing going on for the month of December. Obviously, you missed the boat that day.
If you're trying to get a foot in the door at UPS, apply with UPS at the end of January. Thats when I got hired 13 years ago

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unfortunately, when you were unavailable on that first day, you pretty much made yourself unavailable for peak. The driver is counting on you to be there each and every day so I am sure he was assigned another helper and has chosen to stay with that person. With only 6 days left, it is doubtful that you will get the call but I would re-apply after peak if you really want to get into UPS.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
thats where you messed up.... :sad-little:

How true. You turned work down, so you are considered to be undependable. We have had a lot of helpers quit, I had to help another driver last night whose helper was a no-show. I would wait until after Christmas if you are serious about coming to work for us. No way you would have worked 60 hours a week anyway, my helper finally got 30 hours this week after being with me since late October.

Cementups

Box Monkey
These last few pretty much nailed it to a "T". Sounds like my first helper who decided he couldn't work because he had homework to do even though school had let out early that day.

kwdkool

well the thing is, i wasn't even available to work until the next day anyways as i had put on my application. UPS is not a very organized place to work obviously. at least i got about 30 bucks out o them from orientation though.

lovetokayak

"at least i got about 30 bucks out o them from orientation though."

Wow....that is the spirit. You seem to be full of drive and determination....NOT!!

oh good grief , you're talking to someone that isn't looking for a career with the almighty UP$, just a few extra bucks before Christmas. If the guy put it on his app that he wouldn't be available till wed and they called him on tues, who's the :censored2:? NOT the helper.
Nad he is right, UPS is not all that organized.