Driver Helper Questions

J

jibbs

If you work for UPS and don't like being outside in freezing wind, rain, or snow, then what were you thinking when you applied?

You know there are inside jobs, right?

Also, I think there's a difference between actually liking adverse winter weather and being able to tolerate it better than others. Not saying it's impossible to like winter weather, just... :censored2:, man... Buffalo. Just look at Buffalo, NY right now. I get what you're saying, though.

bowflex

How bad could a helper actually be? Is it that hard to unbuckle, stand up, find the package, use 3 points of contact and walk briskly to and from the houses? I don't see why or how a helper could be "bad" at the job unless they walk slow as a snail or complain about being hungry or having to pee every 5 minutes.
This is my second night as a reg temp driver. I like working hard for 5 months and then having 7 months to focus on my slow growing cleaning business. That being said this was the first year I was given a helper and it slowed me down so much that I missed my 6:30 cut off by 2 hrs. She was short and weighed about 220 lbs. Walked so slow and said she had a headache because of the cold. When I first met up with her she sounded like the OP. Oh great money, want that full time position. Guess what? She didn't show up today.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
This is my second night as a reg temp driver. I like working hard for 5 months and then having 7 months to focus on my slow growing cleaning business. That being said this was the first year I was given a helper and it slowed me down so much that I missed my 6:30 cut off by 2 hrs. She was short and weighed about 220 lbs. Walked so slow and said she had a headache because of the cold. When I first met up with her she sounded like the OP. Oh great money, want that full time position. Guess what? She didn't show up today.
You just gotta laugh at some of these idiots that hire to jump during peak. Fat people, people over 50 to 60 years old, im just like really you idiots lol. I had 1 guy 1 time cause my jumper had to have day off, he was like 62 years old. I took one look at him and said to myself, im a wind up killing pop pop today lmfao. I took it easy on him the first 2 hours to let him get into it to see how it was. He was breathing heavy the first 2 hours and I was taking it easy on pop pop lol. Needless to say he was done after 4 hours and I dropped him off at his car. His first and last day I believe and I had to run rest of day by myself which I was glad I guess. Couldn't be blamed for killing pop pop cause I cut him lose. Just glad homeboy didn't have a heart attack on me that would not have been cool at all dude lol.

oldngray

nowhere special
You just gotta laugh at some of these idiots that hire to jump during peak. Fat people, people over 50 to 60 years old, im just like really you idiots lol. I had 1 guy 1 time cause my jumper had to have day off, he was like 62 years old. I took one look at him and said to myself, im a wind up killing pop pop today lmfao. I took it easy on him the first 2 hours to let him get into it to see how it was. He was breathing heavy the first 2 hours and I was taking it easy on pop pop lol. Needless to say he was done after 4 hours and I dropped him off at his car. His first and last day I believe and I had to run rest of day by myself which I was glad I guess. Couldn't be blamed for killing pop pop cause I cut him lose. Just glad homeboy didn't have a heart attack on me that would not have been cool at all dude lol.

Usually those old guys were tough and harder workers that the fat lazy kids.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Reality check everybody , we work hard and fast and need a track star not a old guy or a fat person. I wouldn't even kill myself for 8.50 an hour with no opportunity. I always check the pants size and if I can pronounce their name.

PT Car Washer

Reality check everybody , we work hard and fast and need a track star not a old guy or a fat person. I wouldn't even kill myself for 8.50 an hour with no opportunity. I always check the pants size and if I can pronounce their name.
The people you are describing already have a better job.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Sometimes a "big guy" with a brain,Is much better,than a track star....without.
tumblr_nc8ehtqh7X1ru9yylo10_500.png
lol.

novadriver

I was supposed to use a helper today, i told my sup id rather knock the 231 stops out alone,, i had to be off done before 8 w/out a helper, done at 530...if i would of had a helper id of been done by 8 lol

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
That being said this was the first year I was given a helper and it slowed me down so much that I missed my 6:30 cut off by 2 hrs.

Normally I don't mind the helpers, breaks up the routine and is nice to have company in the truck sometimes. After a fiasco recently, I might have to change my thinking on that. The helper constantly had to be shown how to work the board, couldn't get the concept of scanning while walking, missed scanning packages, etc. I spent so much time training and fixing the problems, having to go back to stops, and trying to speed the helper up that I was way behind and had to actually ask for help to finish before I ran out of hours.

Unless UPS trains the helpers to be at least minimally proficient with the board and teaches them we need to move at more than a snails pace, they can keep their helpers. It's hard enough being fat and slow all by myself, I don't need two of us to do that!

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Normally I don't mind the helpers, breaks up the routine and is nice to have company in the truck sometimes. After a fiasco recently, I might have to change my thinking on that. The helper constantly had to be shown how to work the board, couldn't get the concept of scanning while walking, missed scanning packages, etc. I spent so much time training and fixing the problems, having to go back to stops, and trying to speed the helper up that I was way behind and had to actually ask for help to finish before I ran out of hours.

Unless US trains the helpers to be at least minimally proficient with the board and teaches them we need to move at more than a snails pace, they can keep their helpers. It's hard enough being fat and slow all by myself, I don't need two of us to do that!
I don't worry about the jumper being able to use the diad. I can multitask and run 2 diads. As long as their punkasczz knows how to run and hustle, that's all I give a dam about lol.

scooby0048

I don't worry about the jumper being able to use the diad. I can multitask and run 2 diads. As long as their punkasczz knows how to run and hustle, that's all I give a dam about lol.
Sure in resi...but when we split off business, that approach just will not work. They were more of a detriment than a help. Keep the helpers, if I miss stuff because of the crap dispatch then that's on UPS.

scooby0048

Scan all the packages,In your DIAD. give him some ,delivery notice. And use signed delivery notice.
Again, I must refer to my previous statement of them being minimally proficient. The notices work great if I don't have to go back and fix whatever issues the helper "helped" me with.