Driver killed in Eureka

Was just starting my rural route with PAS supe on friday when he got a call from another supe in Cali. telling him of the news. Driver was caught in a downpour heading in when he lost control and hit a tree. My prayers and condolences to his family, friends and his fellow drivers in Eureka.:sad: Supe had actually rode with this driver last year when PAS was placed there, shook him up a bit. Put a whole different perspective on my day considering we were having the same type of weather that day off and on. To all fellow drivers be safe out there so we can all go home to our families at night.

Just Lurking

Sympathy to the driver's family.

A fellow driver was killed on auto accident in Januray 2002 from our center. There is one quote from a safety manager I remember very well.

"Our cost of service was too high today. When we put X drivers on the road and X-1 return - it is sad day for us."

satellitedriver

It's nice to know we are nothing more than variables in an equation. :crying:
Trick,
Why would you inject your hatred of UPS on such a serious subject? It was an accident and one of us will not be able to make it home to their family. That fact outweighs petty personal grieviences you have with the company you work for.
My thoughts are with his family.
May perpetual light shine upon him. Amen

local804

Way too many people lose their lives while working for UPS. It is a sad deal for everyone. In the Atlanta corp eye he was just a number and in his workers eyes (including sups) he was more and will be missed.

trickpony1

Trick,
Why would you inject your hatred of UPS on such a serious subject? It was an accident and one of us will not be able to make it home to their family. That fact outweighs petty personal grieviences you have with the company you work for.
My thoughts are with his family.
May perpetual light shine upon him. Amen

I've already had a person of stature PM me to express the same concern.
I meant no disrespect to the deceased individual. I am sure he was just trying to get through life like the rest of us. I respect the working men and women of our company. Perhaps if the same respect was returned to the working men and women then there would be no posts or PM's directed at me questioning the intent of my statements.
I could tell you some stories that would knock you out of your swivel chair but then I would be labeled as "disgruntled".
Go back and read my post again and see if you can figure out the flow of respect. :thumbup1:

Sammie

That poor driver. Being raised in California not far from his area, I remember those killer rains and floods. Eureka is a very beautiful part of the country. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and loved ones.

satellitedriver

Perhaps if the same respect was returned to the working men and women then there would be no posts or PM's directed at me questioning the intent of my statements.

Go back and read my post again and see if you can figure out the flow of respect. :thumbup1:

The flow of respect was a very easy one to figure out,that is why I directed my post at you.
The respect earned on the job(or craved by you) from management has absolutley nothing to do with the simple fact that someone has lost a brother, husband, father or a friend to a tragic accident.
Your post shows a callous disregard for the fragility of each of our lives.
Now, you reread this post and see where my respect lays.

Cole

Very tragic news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family friends and all concerned.

I should add if you don't feel safe while driving in conditions where you can't see etc...please use your discretion, you can pull over, and contact the center etc...Always wear your seat belt, and put your life first is the way I try to do it.

The highways are the most dangerous places on earth pretty much, and we're all out there everyday, so please be careful.

That's just plain sad to hear.

rcr1960

I'm a driver in the Eureka bldg. and it's been a real hard time for everyone. His truck was next to mine in the car lineup. I arrived at the accident scene before they got him out of the vehicle with the jaws of life. I hope to never have to see a fellow driver placed into the coroners truck again. Please continue to pray for him and his family. A memorial fund has been set up for his wife and two daughters to help out.

Just Lurking

It's nice to know we are nothing more than variables in an equation. :crying:

Trick

All I have to say is WOW. Maybe you should relax a little more after work before you decide to post.
If you have worked in center that someone was killed in an auto accident, I think your opinion would be a little different. Its a sobering experience to see the carnage of destroyed package car and a neighbor, freind and co-worker gone. I don't think our center is the same still after five years.

I believe that it was heart felt response in our center manager PCM that day after the accident. If you or I or any driver did not return to the center after running any given route - I would say that it was very unsuccessful day for the company.

How would upu like to deliver the day after fatality accident on any route.

While any of us can have hatred for the company and it practices, fatality accidents is where we need to take all comments at face value.

browniehound

That really sucks for the family and friends of this driver. But do you think maybe UPS should make it mandatory that all new package cars are equiped with air-bags? I think the company should stop with the safety rhetoric and start adding more safety features to their package cars. It may have saved this driver's life

Channahon

That really sucks for the family and friends of this driver. But do you think maybe UPS should make it mandatory that all new package cars are equiped with air-bags? I think the company should stop with the safety rhetoric and start adding more safety features to their package cars. It may have saved this driver's life

Now there is a great idea. Maybe this next contract will address that issue. Our vehicle should be the safest on the road.