Driver Lunch Break

Rack em

Made the Podium
Rampant in your local (state). Working through lunch, that is.
I have taken my lunch outside of the designated time before, but I have never worked through a lunch ever! The only time my truck even runs during lunch is when it's below zero outside. I don't understand why people work through their lunch smh.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Please tell us the accident did not happen during his “lunch”.
Fortunately for him it didn't, but it doesn't help that he didn't take his lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour because our center has been really stressing that lately. Our center manager prints out a report for our steward every day showing him the people who aren't taking their lunch and break between the designated times.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fortunately for him it didn't, but it doesn't help that he didn't take his lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour because our center has been really stressing that lately. Our center manager prints out a report for our steward every day showing him the people who aren't taking their lunch and break between the designated times.

My name would be on there every day.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I prefer the freedom to make the decision about when to take my breaks. It's generally in the company's best interest to let us, because we will usually make decisions based on our service commitments. They can't seem to set up the routes properly to ensure service, so it's up to us, as always, to pick up the slack. If I was forced to take my lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour yesterday I would have not been able to deliver a school, and would have missed a business. That or I would have had 30 extra miles and would have been out until 1030 instead of just 930.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I prefer the freedom to make the decision about when to take my breaks. It's generally in the company's best interest to let us, because we will usually make decisions based on our service commitments. They can't seem to set up the routes properly to ensure service, so it's up to us, as always, to pick up the slack. If I was forced to take my lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour yesterday I would have not been able to deliver a school, and would have missed a business. That or I would have had 30 extra miles and would have been out until 1030 instead of just 930.
If you are continually out til 930 you need to get on the 9.5 list.... that is unacceptable, you are not a feeder driver!! No package car driver NEEDS to be out after 7 period!!!(unless you have a large late pu and are starting your day later.....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You perpetuate your own problems.

It's not up to us to "pick up the slack".
They aren't my service commitments.
I say let it burn.

Keep doing it your way, and you'll get more of the same....

....and then some.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you are continually out til 930 you need to get on the 9.5 list.... that is unacceptable, you are not a feeder driver!! No package car driver NEEDS to be out after 7 period!!!(unless you have a large late pu and are starting your day later.....
It's not normal, but often enough. I take an hour lunch if I'm given 170 stops or more. That way I don't get wrangled into helping other people. I don't mind the long hours. Once I get to where I need to be financially, or if I start to feel it physically, I'll ease up.
You perpetuate your own problems.

It's not up to us to "pick up the slack".
They aren't my service commitments.
I say let it burn.

Keep doing it your way, and you'll get more of the same....

....and then some.

I almost always take my lunch at noon, and will take a half hour or an hour based on my needs. I want to do my best to take care of the customers, and do good by the company. Not too many other jobs out there that compensate as well, I'd just as soon not let the company burn. I could have taken my lunch earlier and would have had to break off and drive to the other city where the school was, then drive back and finish up, and been out for an extra hour, but I was balancing out my needs/wants with the needs of the company and customer. I didn't want to be out that late, so I compromised and took my lunch later.

Last edited: