Driver Lunch Break

RuthlessSupSlayer

I know i am recently trained driver so i may change my thoughts on this as time goes on but...

With the abundance of work/OT and limited time with our families I feel as though an option of 30 minute or an hour long lunch should be an option without having to have pay subtracted from our pay. Even better would be we get paid for the work we do and not the break we get paid for where we could hace a flex break option.

There are some days where i want to take my whole hour but there are other dats where i would like to shorten my break so i get home to be woth my family and that comes with sacrifice obviously.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I know i am recently trained driver so i may change my thoughts on this as time goes on but...

With the abundance of work/OT and limited time with our families I feel as though an option of 30 minute or an hour long lunch should be an option without having to have pay subtracted from our pay. Even better would be we get paid for the work we do and not the break we get paid for where we could hace a flex break option.

There are some days where i want to take my whole hour but there are other dats where i would like to shorten my break so i get home to be woth my family and that comes with sacrifice obviously.
Question, when you start coming in 30 minutes early, what do you think UPS’s reaction will be?

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?

You aren’t the first and won’t be the last to think this way. There are a few things to realize about breaks and meals.

The language that dictates when and how long you are on break is in your supplement. You can request to attempt to have it changed during the current negotiations. If your not happy with it you and every other member have the right to vote it down.

Management doesn’t have the right to edit your time card. If you only code out a half hour then they should only take a half hour. With that being said eventually you’ll end up having disciplinary action taken against you if you start taking meal and breaks outside of the times that your supplement states or taking shorter or longer breaks.

Taking breaks during the contractual times sometimes doesn’t make sense on your route. It could present you with issues with pickup time compliance, missed business deliveries, or missing the air trailer. Take your breaks when your supposed to. Text in when your going to have service failures. Don’t rearrange your day to take care of customers. Orion is supposed to do that for you. Management needs to adjust your day to fit your delivery area, the contract and your safe work pace not you adjusting when and if you take full breaks.

Good luck

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
They could care less because when i do i just stand around and shoot the !#$@ with other drivers. Forgive my ignorance but now sure what this has to do with lunches. Please enlighten me

The more you do, the more they will give you. If you normally do 180 stops, and start taking only a half hour lunch so you can help the wife wipe your kids asses, UPS will eventually say "hold on" Ruthlesssuperdupe keeps coming in at 1700. We can give him 20 more stops.........are you enlightened yet?

RuthlessSupSlayer

The more you do, the more they will give you. If you normally do 180 stops, and start taking only a half hour lunch so you can help the wife wipe your kids asses, UPS will eventually say "hold on" Ruthlesssuperdupe keeps coming in at 1700. We can give him 20 more stops.........are you enlightened yet?
Well u am not trying wipe asses just go out and catch some dinner with friends and family. Something like this isnt a deal breaker. It would just be nice to have an option. Thanks for the clarification...

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Well u am not trying wipe asses just go out and catch some dinner with friends and family. Something like this isnt a deal breaker. It would just be nice to have an option. Thanks for the clarification...
Your best bet is the 9.5 list and 8 hr requests if you want anything that resembles a life at UPS. Or move to the bog.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
They could care less because when i do i just stand around and shoot the !#$@ with other drivers. Forgive my ignorance but now sure what this has to do with lunches. Please enlighten me
What will happen is, let’s say you work till 7:30 everyday. Now you start skating your lunch for 30 minutes. UPS will realize you’re getting done at 7, AND then start giving you another 20 stops. If you don’t believe me, do it your way. I’ve only been at UPS for 25 year.

ManInBrown

Lmao. You think they're worried about you seeing your family? Lol. They couldn't care less. They're actually glad they're affecting your family life. That's truly how they think. Sad but true.

ManInBrown

ding Ding Ding. There is only one way to do this job. Get done at 8:30 every night. You get done any earlier and it will be "Johnny can handle 20 more stops. He's getting done at 7:15 every night. Let's load him up"

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Help me out here. You want to get home to see family, but when you are done early you hang out and talk.

Makes no sense at all.