Driver Lunch Break

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Was on scholarship for basketball so no money spent and I actually make more money doing this than I would with that and they are very proud of me thank u
Yeah, college degrees do not guarantee a high paying job.
Talk to your Union Rep and ask if this has happened to anyone before, and if so, what the result was. If anyone who was fired for working during their lunch got their jobs back you have prior practice on your side. Also, your rep should be asking for any records showing how often people have delivered packages during their breaks. If there are any examples of that happening without the drivers involved receiving any discipline, then you not only get your job back, you have a good case for back pay. Management can't just pick and choose when they want to enforce the rules. You have indicated that you are female on your profile, even though people keep calling you brother, that should work in your favor, especially if your center doesn't have a lot of female drivers. If any male drivers have worked through their lunch without being disciplined then you have a case for sex discrimination. Your rep even brings that up, and the smarter managers will back down pretty quick.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Talk to your Union Rep and ask if this has happened to anyone before, and if so, what the result was. If anyone who was fired for working during their lunch got their jobs back you have prior practice on your side. Also, your rep should be asking for any records showing how often people have delivered packages during their breaks. If there are any examples of that happening without the drivers involved receiving any discipline, then you not only get your job back, you have a good case for back pay. Management can't just pick and choose when they want to enforce the rules. You have indicated that you are female on your profile, even though people keep calling you brother, that should work in your favor, especially if your center doesn't have a lot of female drivers. If any male drivers have worked through their lunch without being disciplined then you have a case for sex discrimination. Your rep even brings that up, and the smarter managers will back down pretty quick.

There is a report generated which shows any activity performed during the times posted in the DIAD for lunch and break.

barnyard

KTM rider
Is this policy consistent for all buildings in you District? Are there any bonus centers, and do they have to abide by the same rules? Has anyone actually been disciplined for not abiding by their "choice" in January...not just rumors or threats of discipline?

I have no idea on everything above. Mine is not a bonus center.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Wasn't it spelled "sparcs"?. BTW no report would be retrieved by the company in defense of a driver involving discipline.
When investigating a grievance a steward or union rep has the right to request all pertinent information that the company has available in order to prepare a case. It's very much like a discovery process in a court case. If the company witholds that information and the case goes to panel or arbitration, it will have to be given up. Witholding information is a strong indicator of guilt, and will not look good for the managers involved. Just asking for that stuff may be enough to get them to change their position. Who knows how much wrongdoing you could uncover?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
When investigating a grievance a steward or union rep has the right to request all pertinent information that the company has available in order to prepare a case. It's very much like a discovery process in a court case. If the company witholds that information and the case goes to panel or arbitration, it will have to be given up. Witholding information is a strong indicator of guilt, and will not look good for the managers involved. Just asking for that stuff may be enough to get them to change their position. Who knows how much wrongdoing you could uncover?
Didn't know that. So their technology could work against them. Funny stuff.

PCM

Thank you! U are the only one that has not assumed I was a man and I appreciate that. Yes I am the only female driver in the center and the state.. and you are right about the records and yes others have done the same without any discipline..

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Talk to your Union Rep and ask if this has happened to anyone before, and if so, what the result was.

Every case, is based on it's own merit.

If anyone who was fired for working during their lunch got their jobs back you have prior practice on your side.

Maybe.

Rarely, are 2 cases identical.

Even then, it doesn't set a precedence.

Also, your rep should be asking for any records showing how often people have delivered packages during their breaks.

Unless you have "specific knowledge" pertaining to a certain case....

Fishing expeditions, are just that.

Yes I am the only female driver in the center and the state.

The only female.... in the entire State ?

BS

Tell the truth.

There is nothing more, I would like to do.... than help a fellow Teamster.

-Bug-