Driver Release Form

N

Not You Me

My management team is going to write a form for me to sign instructing me to driver release all pkgs ( except C.O.D. and signature required and busness ), even condos that are structured like apartments,with no liability to me.I have a gated residential route. My shop steward said to go ahead and sign but give him a copy. What do you think?

DS

Fenderbender
I know out of sight out of weather,what I`m not sure about is in full view and free for the taking.Even though its a gated
community you are still responsible to get the packages delivered .This is bit weird ,why should YOU sign something
that gives you the right to leave packages without a signature? I`d read that a few times before I didn`t sign it.

wily_old_vet

If you sign this form request a shop steward as a witness. Also have mgt sign it and definitely keep a copy for yourself and give one to the union.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Just because it is a "Gated Community" doesn't mean it is safe to Driver Release. I have some I go into and there ain't no way I'd do it. You still have to use good judgement, these newer DR Standards are going to cause some claims in certain areas.:confused:1

Dutch Dawg

The first question that came to my mind upon reading your post was 'Why would you as the driver be requested to sign a form releasing you from responsibility for deviating from policy as directed?' Wouldn't it be more pertinent for management to sign the form? Which led me to suspect there is apparently some confrontation involved with this issue between you and management. If that is the case, why would you be compelled to sign the form?

ogrelord

Ground Down
my only question is are you the only one that needs to sign or ever one in the center? smells alittle brown if ya ask me...

Channahon

My management team is going to write a form for me to sign instructing me to driver release all pkgs ( except C.O.D. and signature required and busness ), even condos that are structured like apartments,with no liability to me.I have a gated residential route. My shop steward said to go ahead and sign but give him a copy. What do you think?
Sounds like a yearly driver release certification with changes noted. Follow your steward's advice. You went to the right place for your answer and only you know the labor climate in your center.

ups79

Sounds to me that you might be padding your day by getting signatures at stops where you could be using driver release.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Sounds to me that you might be padding your day by getting signatures at stops where you could be using driver release.
you can never be dinged for getting a signature,i was taught if some one comes to door get the sig.yes,it builds up time but cuts down chance of claim!!how many tracers have you got over the yrs with mcm,mcw i know i have. dr is always up to the driver!! i get burnt at stop and never forget it,never left 1 again even with basic grnd,you burnt me you paid.

rocket88

Sounds like a yearly driver release certification with changes noted. Follow your steward's advice. You went to the right place for your answer and only you know the labor climate in your center.

Don't sign it. You are not required to sign it either. I have seen the havoc a weak steward or a "bad panel" can create. You are not required to sign the yearly driver release certification form or any other form the present you with. With the exception of your driver's license, yearly driver license form (stating that you do indeed have a valid driver's license and any viloations and tickets in the past 12 months)DOT physical card and your daily DVIR book and your yearly HazMat.
Other than those, don't sign snything. I don't sign my space and vis or my safety rides or methods rides or OJS' or anything else

wily_old_vet

This form doesn't sound like the yearly dr certification to me since mgt is having to make it up. What it sounds like is something that happened in my center where they told drivers with certain apartment complexes to driver release pkgs rather than getting signatures to cut down on send agains. I told those drivers to get something in writing to protect them from the claims that were sure to follow. Sounds like a similar situation here to me.

ups_vette

mrbill and Brown Humor..... I have a question for you, and others like you, who also practice the "don't sign anything except your paycheck" rule. Does management assign you to a vacation week after those who DO SIGN the vacation list? Also, does management assign you a bid, once all the drivers who DO SIGN the bid sheet, after you refused to sign ? That must suck, having seniority and not using it to choose your vacation and bid.

Oh, by the way, simply because you signature is not on a space and visibility form, an OJS form,a warning letter, or any other UPS form you're asked to sign, DOES NOT release you from accountability. Management notes on the form the date, who was present, and that the individual refused to sign and acknowledge the training and/or instructions. Not having your signature on a form will NOT help you, if and when, disiplainary action is taken.

W

westsideworma

mrbill and Brown Humor..... I have a question for you, and others like you, who also practice the "don't sign anything except your paycheck" rule. Does management assign you to a vacation week after those who DO SIGN the vacation list? Also, does management assign you a bid, once all the drivers who DO SIGN the bid sheet, after you refused to sign ? That must suck, having seniority and not using it to choose your vacation and bid.

Oh, by the way, simply because you signature is not on a space and visibility form, an OJS form,a warning letter, or any other UPS form you're asked to sign, DOES NOT release you from accountability. Management notes on the form the date, who was present, and that the individual refused to sign and acknowledge the training and/or instructions. Not having your signature on a form will NOT help you, if and when, disiplainary action is taken.

its funny you noted such things that have no possible repercussions to an employee. I doubt the don't sign anything applies to that.

I don't even think Tie would assume this or suggest this even though he is very much in favor of the management side (no offense intended Tie) it seems sometimes.

Channahon

Refusing to sign anything other than the items noted by Rocket 88 - which why even sign those forms?

Does anyone know of any labor hearings where an employee was not held accountable for an infraction because the employee did not sign a UPS form? In my 27 years at UPS, it didn't make any difference, signature or not. The fact of the matter is the information was reviewed with the employees and refusal to sign the form is generally witnessed by management and the steward or another hourly.

You should work in our center. They come up with things for us to sign weekly. It's really entertainment value to a lot of us. Our management team is always trying to strong arm people. A lot of drivers must fear managements paperwork and threats. If drivers didn't fear it management would stop with their strong arming and signing threats. We have a contract from the union and a guideline full of rules from UPS written in black and white. Sign or don't sign, If it's not in the books already it is null and void. Just scare tactics.

rocket88

Ups Vette, How long ago did you retire? Sign for vacation weeks??? What?? I tell my center manager or the supe in charge of vacations which weeks I want and he posts them on the master schedule. As far as bid sheets go in our bldg you can call it in to the OMS or Ctr Mgr and tell them to "mark me down." Or if you want you can sign the intent sheet. I know you'll flame me upe--vette, probably try to paint me as some kind of "flip flopper" but signing your name to a bid sheet is vastly different that putting your signature on a piece of paper that will be introduced as evidence agaisnt you even if the supe never did a space and vis with you. The supe catches you during a pretrip and says "just sign this" or after a 4 hour safety ride the supe says well not bad but.... and comes up with at least a 1/2 dozen violations and says "nobody is perfect besides Joe Blow says I have get between 4 and 6 "violations" or I am going to get it" Talk about a lack of integrity. I wont sign your made up fantasies. I'm closing in on 25 years,not signing must not be that big a deal

N

Not You Me

from Wiley - {This form doesn't sound like the yearly dr certification to me since mgt is having to make it up. What it sounds like is something that happened in my center where they told drivers with certain apartment complexes to driver release pkgs rather than getting signatures to cut down on send agains. I told those drivers to get something in writing to protect them from the claims that were sure to follow. Sounds like a similar situation here to me.} I think you hit it right on Vet.

Channahon

Driver releasing to apartments was a corporate procedure change. Not sure of the specifics, but if I remember right it was for gated communities, where you have to be let in by a Security person. I would imagine the reasoning would be, most of these apartment, townhouse, etc dwellings would be upscale.
You may want to verify this. I think it came out around peak season.