Driver Stuck in resi driveway

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a P700 with a trailer hitch and a rural route with lots of steep, hilly driveways. Over the years I have carved plenty of "divots" into the ground with my trailer hitch. I used to call in every time and report an "accident" in order to cover my butt, until they told me to quit bothering.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most of the larger motorhomes and campers have a set of wheels attached to the rear frame that solves this problem but I'm sure that UPS would never spend a dime on an easy solution like this.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you watch the video you can see that it's not a 10 foot resi driveway, but rather a business parking lot. Probably just a new guy who didnt know about dips like that and bottoming out

Yup, and if he had backed in, think of the damage he would have done to the driveway.

undies

Similar thing happened to me making a right turn uphill on a street. Back bumper got stuck and I couldn't move! You could see all the scrapes In the asphalt from other cars/trucks that did the same. Luckily I'm not stupid and just pulled all the pick up volume from the back to the front and was able to maneuver out!

True story, I did this years ago in a p500. I was stuck for about 15 minutes until the FedEx guy came along, backed up to me and pushed me back up the driveway so I could back down at a different angle. I'm sure there would be YouTube videos of this had it happened these days.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Ok, I'll admit, I did this very thing many years ago. Was in a P1000 and I came into the driveway at the wrong angle and lodged the back bumper right into the street. I had to unload one of my bulk pickups out onto the street in order to get the truck to lift up enough to pick the bumper up off the ground so I could get out..

oldngray

nowhere special
Ok, I'll admit, I did this very thing many years ago. Was in a P1000 and I came into the driveway at the wrong angle and lodged the back bumper right into the street. I had to unload one of my bulk pickups out onto the street in order to get the truck to lift up enough to pick the bumper up off the ground so I could get out..

The old P1000's had weak springs and would definitely sag in back if they had a lot of weight there. I scraped many times backing down into docks when fully loaded. And you did need to be aware of bad streets that would scrape.

oldupsman

oldupsman

Hey, it's all a learning process. I almost did the same thing but I got lucky and gunned it enough to keep
from getting hung up. But i never made the same mistake again.

clean hairy

Managment wants everything done in a time efficient manner, DON'T WASTE TIME! It is pointed out to us frequently.
That said, they waste time with guys playing with sledge hammers and pieces of wood instead of getting a tow truck to get the package car unstuck?
Using common sense would have had quicker results.

some1else

Banned
Just fyi go ahead and take the truck out of gear before someone is palying around that close to spinning drive wheels.

Id make the driver shut it off before i got that close especially a driver that just got into a situation like that.

WorknLateHuh

This used to happen to me at least twice a day. But I learned, now I gun it as fast as possible, rocketing up the driveway in a blaze of sparks and flying asphalt. When my on road is with me, i'll turn to him afterwards and say, "You are dealing with a professional." the fun part is coming down out of the driveway