Drivers are Responsible for Everything Helper Does?

Ouch

UpState,
I didn't realize that i had asked you in an impolite manner. I used pronunciation and everything. You like a good debate.

I was asking you what your opinion was on a helper stealing while out of site and pocketing the goods. Should you be fired for his actions?

Johney

What you should have done is sheeted the first package, completed the stop, sheeted the second package as a duplicate stop(and put "Duplicate tracking" in remarks) and completed that one. This would more accurately show what happened and would allow the company to bill the shipper for the second package.
That's what we were told to do in this situation.

gingerkat

I didn't realize that i had asked you in an impolite manner. I used pronunciation and everything. You like a good debate.

I was asking you what your opinion was on a helper stealing while out of site and pocketing the goods. Should you be fired for his actions?
Upstate is logical… logic says, good helper no steal, case closed.
Right Dave?:wink2:

C

chuchu

When I had 2 packages with same tracking number I would manually enter the shipper number on the second one (no 1Z ) and enter last 3 digits of tracking number as ID #, then make a note in remarks column. That way there is some record of the extra package.
We do the same thing except:
1. We enter the weight (approximate if grossly falsified too) instead of the last three digits and;

2. Peal both PAL labels off and adhere them to a bank sheet of paper back at the office and put them in our BD file with a note of what happened. The company can read the scan times on the package PAL labels and prove they were different pkgs if the shipper questions it.

Normally, they don't show signs of banding.

C

chuchu

At orientation the "diad" was never even mentioned this year. I can imagine all the brand new seasonal helpers that almost :censored2: themselves when they saw that beast that was handed to them. This is a big mistake on the part of HR.

You drivers should sit in on the info & orientation session just to see what little information is given. If correct info was given, helpers would probably just walk out the door.
We were told by a inside helper that the HR employee brought the manual for the new DIAD board to train the helpers with and then they were given the old board to use. That is either plain stupidity or laziness... or both on the part of the company.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When they are either

A) spineless lapdogs...
Or
B) haven't yet made book and are at the mercy of the company.

You left out (C) they are a runner gunner who DR'd obviously valuable packages (big screen TV's, Gateway computers etc.) to apartments or businesses rather than following the methods and getting a signature. We once had a driver in our building DR nine packages underneath a trailer that was backed up to the dock at a Fred Meyer (aka Kroger's) store. On a Friday night. They got stolen, and as I recall he wound up paying off about $6K in claims at the rate of $50 per week for a few years. Not too bright.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Could it be that there are drivers who don't like to hide behind the contract and are willing to take responsibility when they don't follow the methods?

The company made a business decision to maximize profits by allowing drivers to release residential stops without obtaining a signature in order to increase productivity.

It has also made a business decision to maximize profits by understaffing the operation and dispatching routes with workloads that pretty much force the drivers to choose between taking shortcuts with the DR methods or bringing the stops back as missed.

One of the natural and inevitable consequences of these business decisions is that the company will occasionally be required to pay claims on missing packages. Since the increased labor costs of requiring a signature for each package would far outweigh the cost of paying such claims, the company has chosen (wisely, I feel) to accept claims as part of the cost of doing business.

Since the company also made a business decision to enter into a contract that has specific protections for the drivers in regards to being forced to pay claims, how is it "hiding behind the contract" when a driver uses that language?

oldngray

nowhere special
The company made a business decision to maximize profits by allowing drivers to release residential stops without obtaining a signature in order to increase productivity.

It has also made a business decision to maximize profits by understaffing the operation and dispatching routes with workloads that pretty much force the drivers to choose between taking shortcuts with the DR methods or bringing the stops back as missed.

One of the natural and inevitable consequences of these business decisions is that the company will occasionally be required to pay claims on missing packages. Since the increased labor costs of requiring a signature for each package would far outweigh the cost of paying such claims, the company has chosen (wisely, I feel) to accept claims as part of the cost of doing business.

Since the company also made a business decision to enter into a contract that has specific protections for the drivers in regards to being forced to pay claims, how is it "hiding behind the contract" when a driver uses that language?

I had a bad area that kept going back and forth between DR allowed and non DR. When it was changed to DR allowed the stop count went up drastically, but when it when back to signatures required the stop count was never lowered again. So the driver (usually the one next to me) had about 2 more hours work than the dispatch tried to claim. It would show up as a higher planned day on reports too, but UPS refused to adjust the stop count for planned day. Basically there was nobody else to give the work to so they over dispatched on purpose.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

These specific protections are predicated upon the driver following the proper driver release procedures as outlined in the annual driver release certification training. In the example I provided, I took a shortcut, was called out on it and decided to take personal responsibility for said shortcut to the tune of $20/week for 6 weeks. Yeah, I could have bitched about it, filed a grievance and tried to "hide behind the contract", but I chose the high road. That happened 10 years or so ago and was the last time that I have or ever will pay for a bad DR. Lessons learned the hard way tend to have the most impact.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
These specific protections are predicated upon the driver following the proper driver release procedures as outlined in the annual driver release certification training. In the example I provided, I took a shortcut, was called out on it and decided to take personal responsibility for said shortcut to the tune of $20/week for 6 weeks. Yeah, I could have bitched about it, filed a grievance and tried to "hide behind the contract", but I chose the high road. That happened 10 years or so ago and was the last time that I have or ever will pay for a bad DR. Lessons learned the hard way tend to have the most impact.

And did you sign that training certification? If so, shame on you for entering into an extracontractual agreement with the company.

If thats the case, you paid them the $120 you owed them. You weren't taking a high road; you were merely paying a bill for your own stupidity.

gingerkat

I can be both informative and arrogant at the same time.
Holy mother of snowballing, I was just thinking the same. Damn Dave, my heart pitter patters when you speak. I get all turned on and want to slap you at the same time when you say something informative with that arrogant tone.:laughing2:

gingerkat

The best way to fix a problem is to let everything go. Drop all inhibitions and try something new. Maybe to some this won't be new - lol Not everything has to be a bad touch