Drivers Fired (Air Issues)

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I have a Sam's club on my route that I deliver after all my other air is done. I usually get there around 10:25 have them sign for their air and then start on their ground packages. Sometimes they don't open their door until after 1030. So that's why I sheet up NI1 at 10:29 and then re sheet it after 10:30 I was there before 10:30 they took their sweet time opening the door

Why sheet NI1 and then re-sheet within 5 minutes with ground pckgs where as, if the Sams club is your last air stop and you also deliver ground at the same time you could just sheet up your ground and scan that one air in before 1030?

UPSGUY72

I have a Sam's club on my route that I deliver after all my other air is done. I usually get there around 10:25 have them sign for their air and then start on their ground packages. Sometimes they don't open their door until after 1030. So that's why I sheet up NI1 at 10:29 and then re sheet it after 10:30 I was there before 10:30 they took their sweet time opening the door

They have a report that specifically reports NDA Ni1 than delivered within 15min. People are now getting into trouble doing this.

Why sheet NI1 and then re-sheet within 5 minutes with ground pckgs where as, if the Sams club is your last air stop and you also deliver ground at the same time you could just sheet up your ground and scan that one air in before 1030?

You have to scan everything and lock it in by hitting the sig button. This is fine if you at the location and waiting for them to open the door at 10:30 but if you down the street and locking it the package because if not its going to be late is a now a no no.

ncamara

You have to scan everything and lock it in by hitting the sig button.
Not true. As long as you are at the delivery location and have a package scanned in by 10:30 and at the packages screen, you can continue to scan the others. Even if you hit the signature button 10 minutes later, it will not show as late.

UPSGUY72

Not true. As long as you are at the delivery location and have a package scanned in by 10:30 and at the packages screen, you can continue to scan the others. Even if you hit the signature button 10 minutes later, it will not show as late.

I know what worked in the past. I will no longer play management games to make there numbers look good if I have a late Air it's there fault for a bad dispatch. I use to look at the number of Air stops I have and try to give some away to other driver going in that direction in order to make the commit times. I no longer do that if they want to over dispatch the Air and I can't get it all of running strait Air than that is on them. Sometime I send message I'm going to have late Air before I even leave the building.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I know what worked in the past. I will no longer play management games to make there numbers look good if I have a late Air it's there fault for a bad dispatch. I use to look at the number of Air stops I have and try to give some away to other driver going in that direction in order to make the commit times. I no longer do that if they want to over dispatch the Air and I can't get it all of running strait Air than that is on them. Sometime I send message I'm going to have late Air before I even leave the building.

I understand that aspect of it, since I'm a cover driver I frequently run any number of routes. Some routes i can run air & ground and finish all my business before I run ANY resi airs, but other routes I will run just air and then go back to the beginning and start with ground.

My issue with UPSguys way of doing it doesn't make any sense. If you are at a dock to get off bulk work, as long as 1 package is scanned before 10:30 and you don't prerecord it or anything, the time stamp is 10:29, thus having no late airs.

I have been known to "cheat" 1 or 2 air stops each with 1 package in order to prevent having 15 + NDA's for one company....although I'm less likely to do that now :lol:

upsman68

I usually do that but if I get there around 10:29 sometimes my air is heavier than usually it takes them more than 5 min to open the door I'm wasting time I was told you have to have the diad in signature mode to get the time stamp

UPSGUY72

I usually do that but if I get there around 10:29 sometimes my air is heavier than usually it takes them more than 5 min to open the door I'm wasting time I was told you have to have the diad in signature mode to get the time stamp

Correct the Diad has to be in Sig mode to lock in the time which means you can't keep scan packages.

DS

Fenderbender
If this were the only issue of this kind, I'd be willing view it as an oversight.
Fact of the matter is, there are many similar examples.
Other, get rid of it.
Unscheduled pickups, eliminate it if they don't want us using it.
Clocking out without entering a lunch, make it impossible without an override.
Exception packages to the clerk could have a scan-able check off at end of day.
Telematic sensors for the seatbelt and bulkhead door connected to the ignition switch, instead of a satellite link, and nobody can drive out of compliance ever again.
These are just off of the top of my head.

Once again, they treat symptoms rather than solve problems.
If they actually solved problems, maybe they wouldn't need so many of them to train us to jump through unnecessary hoops.
Makes you wonder what would they talk about during their conference calls???

Bubblehead should be head of IE

I'm sorry but if you (not YOU but in general) can't remember what time it is and you can't remember not to make nondels to businesses between 12 and 1, maybe another job would be a better option? lol

You my friend, are missing the point completely.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Correct the Diad has to be in Sig mode to lock in the time which means you can't keep scan packages.

No, that is not correct. Two of the routes I know cover a major mall in our center and there are about a dozen SADR accounts, (which for anyone who doesn't know are MAJOR national accounts who have a specific delivery window). We carry an extra Diad just in case there are stops which are TOO heavy and we wouldn't be able to get the deliveries done before their commit time. So with the extra Diad we Live stop the board......which is, scan (or, use the findBC button and "scan" a package) and as long as you don't prerec it, it WILL NOT show up late...but you have to be in the delivery screen, not just scan and leave....scan, big arrow down and you're all good.

Trust me, we went through a period there where we were having LOTS of late SADR accounts and all the drivers who run routes with SADR's got a nice little lecture. Since then, if we think we're going to have them late we get around the system and I have not been talked to since about any late SADR's.

Also, one of those routes has an 11 story office building and one company in particular gets roughly 80% of all deliveries to that building daily. So I will go run all airs to any other companys in that office, go back to the truck before 10:30 and scan one package (NDA or GND), unload everything for them and head up to their office. By the time I get up there its 10:40 or so and nothing has ever come up late.

BrownArmy

I cover a business only route where I show up to the last stop at about 10:25. As long as I scan one package for that stop before 10:30 and don't put the stop in prerecord, I'm golden. It doesn't matter whether the DIAD is in sig mode or not.

This business gets 100-150 pieces daily, about half of which are NDA and assorted other letters. The rest are 50lb boxes of paper, over-70's, random plastic suitcases on wheels, etc. etc.

Sometimes I don't finish scanning all the packages until 10:45. I'll start scanning packages, leave the truck and go into the mail-room to get a few carts, come back to the truck, finish scanning, load everything up, cart everything back to the mail-room and get a signature.

Nothing shows up late: the time stamp sets when you scan the first package, regardless of whether you're in signature mode or not.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Time stamp, like any other thing that is a product of the software in the diad, can change overnight with an upgrade. Last time I was told by ctr mgr in a meeting with another driver and BA, that the diad stamps time on the first scan of an air pkg, but on the stop complete of a ground pkg. They can obviously change this at any time, and so we should just assume, especially with gps, that its easy to see where we are when we are scanning, getting sigs, and stop completing and just work accordingly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You my friend, are missing the point completely.

Yet you fail to elaborate.

Jones was saying that the co should be making it impossible to scan and NON DEL between 12-1 to a business. I am saying, if the clock says 12-1, don't nondel the package(s) and go to your next stop! Is that really so hard?

Why should the company idiot-proof the system any more, when they're out for blood on the idiots? That is one less thing to bring up at a panel deciding ones job. They didn't follow the delivery instruction methods.

Now if I'm still missing the point completely, help me "get it", if you want.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As long as you have the NDA in the board before 10:30 and do not prerecord the stop you do not have to do what you have been doing. You may be bringing attention upon yourself that you don't need.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not true. As long as you have the first NDA in the DIAD before the commit time and do not prerecord the stop you can scan all of the packages, complete the stop and the air will have show as being delivered on time.

bigbrownhen

Yep, that's how it works here. I have done this several times and have never had a late air problem. It used to be that you had to sheet at least three packages to make the time stamp hold, but that changed to any package a few years back. Now this, as usual with UPS, could be different from region to region...so before attempting this check with your center team to see which is correct. You will probably get more than one answer though.